1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grant Basey

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by sirjohnhumphrey, May 29, 2011.

1. sirjohnhumphrey

My understanding is that he's with Peterboro til the end of the season. Seems to have had a good run with them and in my opinion is certainly good enough at this level. Would jump at the chance of playing under Powell wouldn't he? Worth a punt?

2. MartinhoCAFC

MartinhoCAFC Member

not good enough for this level he won't get us promoted

3. Tewkesbury Addick

Tewkesbury Addick Active Member

I always liked him, although he'd have been an infinitely better player if he'd been twenty pounds lighter.

Interesting to see what Peterborough will do with him now they're promoted, my instinct is that he'll be cut loose.

Just had a text from a Terrier at Wembley - "Awful. Gutted. Wrong tactics. Completely out-thought. See you next season."

4. sirjohnhumphrey

Does that sum up your mates views of turning up at Wembley when he should have been at Old Trafford, Tewkes?

5. Miketyson2007

Miketyson2007 Well-Known Member

Didnt see the match today but heard a report and in it it said basey got slaughtered down the wing and got taken off

6. Tewkesbury Addick

Very good, Sir John - my mistake :emoticon-0111-blush

7. sirjohnhumphrey

He didn't get slaughtered at all, Mikey. Ward once got round the back of him but otherwise he was solid. Came off due to a hamstring strain.
    Definitely could do a job for us. Is Bessone a better player do we think?

8. CarrianCarcuss

CarrianCarcuss Active Member

I would happily take Basey back, but only with a pacey CB next to him and a not so attacking LM infront, so with Jackson infront of him I'd happily take Basey back, he has a sweet left foot and could be handy for setpieces.

9. MartinhoCAFC

MartinhoCAFC Member

Bessone is a far better player than Basey

we want to get out of this league not rot in it.

10. Franco5

Franco5 Well-Known Member

Basey is a decent player at league one level.

I for one was really surprised when we let him go. Prior to being splattered by that thug at Bristol Rovers he was looking as if he could make the LB spot his own.

Imo we never gave him enough opportunity to prove his fitness after what was a serious ankle injury.

I don't know the fella personally, but we share a mutual friend and i know for a fact that he would jump at the chance of returning to The Valley... However, by all accounts he's been doing ok at Peterboro so an offer of a contract could be forthcoming from them.

11. Tewkesbury Addick

Franco, do you find it odd that Basey was shipped out with some haste after his injury, but Youga was kept on?

I've got no axe to grind here, because I like both players but I've always found our differing treatments of the two rather strange.

12. Franco5

Absolutely Tewkes 100%...

I couldn't get my head round the way the two were treated so differently. Maybe if Youga had sustained his injury whilst coming to the end of his contract as was the case with Basey, we may well have jogged him on... Who knows... What i do know is that Basey wouldn't hcontract.been on a third of what Youga was earning and as a promising young LB (which lets face it is as rare as rocking horse doo doo) i think it was a no brainer that he should've been given at the very least a years contract.

13. Miketyson2007

I went by the talk sport report shall not take their word for it then

14. Tewkesbury Addick

Glad it wasn't just me then, Franco. <ok>

15. Miketyson2007

I definately prefer Bessone to Basey ...basey was just too slow

16. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

We've only got one LB and he seems to be injury prone. I know Basey is slow on the turn but he's got other good points and a great wholehearted attitude. (and his corners are almost as good as Borrowdale's). Considering the problems we've had at LB I'd be quite happy to get him back on the books, especially if he can stay at his fighting weight. He can also play CH and defensive mid, which is I believe his preferred position.

17. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Coming through the academy I love The Count to bits but if we want to get out of this league then he's not good enough and if, as Slater said, we want to get out with a team able to compete in the Champ then he definitely wouldn't fit in.

The Count could put in a good cross, he was solid in the tackle, was reasonable in the air but his lack of pace was frightening and most importantly he also took a poor throw :( which is obviously a prerequisite with full backs these days.

18. ForestHillBilly

But can we get someone better as back-up to Bessone? I don't even know if Bessone has signed up for next season.

19. Franco5

Great shout Forest...

Imo his versatility more than makes up for a definite lack of pace. The fact he can operate well at LB, CB and LM means he would've been worth keeping in the first place as he'll make a cracking squad player at the very least.

20. ForestHillBilly

Especially since the signs are that our mysterious owners won't be breaking the bank to let CP build a strong squad.