1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Golf British Open

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by karlos5001, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

Haha I should of kept my mouth shut with that one, was abit of a stupid comment to make, thought he was going to do another masters bottle job but big respect to the man for digging deep and fighting back, bigger set of balls than a Bengali tiger!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  2. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

I think finding himself a shot behind was the best thing that happened to Spieth all day. The pressure of leading the Open seemed all to much for him, and as soon as he'd appeared to have thrown it away, the pressure was off and the very next hole he nearly gets a hole in one. That kick started him into top gear, and he played unbelievable for the last 5 holes.

What is worrying for the rest of the golfing world, is the confidence this now gives Spieth moving forward in these major championships. What happened with Spieth today is probably the biggest test of a golfers temperament that you'll ever see, and in 99% of cases the player would have completely imploded from the 12th hole onwards. I've seen it so many times when a player throws away a lead like that in a major, they just fall apart.

This is just going to make Spieth feel even more comfortable when in contention for a major, as even when things start to go wrong he now knows he has it in him to turn things around.

I wouldn't be at all suprised to see him complete the career grand slam next month at the PGA. Il definitely be having another punt on him in that tournament.

3. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

I think Spieth showed this week that you don't need to hit fairways around Birkdale to win.

Spieth's strategy was very clever throughout the 4 days. He'd done his homework on the course and had worked out where the best spots to miss the fairways where. So even when he did miss a fairway he still always had a shot, and was rarely playing out of the real heavy stuff.

Guys like Woods and Mickelson have been playing like this for years, as like Spieth neither had great accuracy off the tee. But like Spieth they both had amazing Iron play and short games.

You can be perfect tee to green, but it's the short game that really counts more than anything in these major championships. Because of all the spectators walking around the side of the course, and treding down all the rough, these wayward tee shots rarely get properly punished.

karlos5001 likes this.