1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Golf British Open

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by karlos5001, Jul 16, 2017.

1. karlos5001

karlos5001 Well-Known Member

I hope I'm not stepping on anybody's toes, but I'm interested in seeing if anyone has any top fancies for next weeks Open in Southport. Thanks all

2. Bostonbob

Bostonbob Well-Known Member

Dunno but a few firms going top 8 and top 10 each way betting.

Paddy and Sky bet I think.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    karlos5001 likes this.
  3. karlos5001

Yes Bob. Skybet 1/5 top 10 mate

4. karlos5001

For what it's worth here is my picks.
    Main fancy
    Sergio Garcia 16/1. Brilliant Masters win. Loves links golf. I'm expecting him to be right up there from day 1.
    Tommy Fleetwood. 20/1. In great form, from Southport.
    Phil Mickelson. 33/1. Great record in the Open. He can't be ignored!!!!
    Good luck all

beeforsalmon likes this.
  5. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Just had a quick look through the betting. Nothing selected as of yet but surely the time has come to tell Sandy Lyle to hang up his clubs and stick to the Month Medal at Hawkstone Park. Duval, O'Meara, Lehman and (Todd) Hamilton too.

karlos5001 likes this.
  6. beeforsalmon

beeforsalmon Well-Known Member

Going to have a proper look through it later in the week but the obvious point of note is the horrendous form of those heading the market and the world rankings. Rory, DJ, and Day all been in shocking form recently so if ever there's a major to throw up a left field winner it's this one. Even Spieth, despite winning recently, has been poor quite a bit from what I've seen of him. The only obvious top player (i.e. top 10 in world) in form is Rahm.

karlos5001 likes this.
  7. stick

stick Bumper King

Three for me before the off;

Alexander Noren 50/1
    Henrik Stenson 28/1
    Adam Scott 33/1

bayernkenny and karlos5001 like this.
  8. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

Padraig Harrington 50/1
    Martin Kaymer 90/1

Just put them on and added a few more. A couple of serious ones Mickleson 50/1 and Xander Schaufelle 200/1 and a few silly ones:

Sandy Lyle
    John Daly
    Darren Clarke

All 1000/1

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    karlos5001 likes this.
  9. niksboy

niksboy Active Member

Brooks Koepka 55/1 Brandt Snedeker 80/1 Patrick Reed 66/1
    based purely on their form during US Open

karlos5001 likes this.
  10. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

I've got to say the market for this has a really uneasy look about it. This is largely down to the poor form of the players top of the world rankings. I quite like the chances of players like Fowler and Fleetwood, but when I see them at 16s and 25s respectively, I can't help but think these players should be double that price.

Of the players at the head of the betting and at the top of the world rankings the guy who appeals the most is without a doubt Spieth at 16/1. He may not have had a great year by his own standards, but he comes into this off the back of a victory at the Travellers championship which I see as crucial to his chances. If he's winning on the PGA tour again then for me he's got to be playing well, so he's the player id bet.

Of the others Phil Mickelson at 50/1 looks far to big a price for a player of his ability. This course will suit the older more experienced guys. Greg Norman was in the last group last time it was here in his 50s. I know he's not always the straightest, but his short game as always gives him a big chance. There are going to be a lot of scrambles for pars here, as this course is so tough, and there aren't many better than Mickelson at that.

My final selection has to be Zach Johnson at 100/1, how a guy of his talent is 100/1 il never know? It appears people haven't learnt from his 125/1 Open success 2 years ago. The market always seems to discriminate against short hitters like Johnson, but this is not a course that will suit a long hitter, it definitely suits a steadier player, who'll keep the ball in play. The longer you hit it the more chance you'll find trouble around Birkdale.

So it's 3 Americans for me. I always find you get good value about the yanks in the Open. People say they aren't used to playing Links golf which is true. But results over the last 40 years, proves experience growing up playing links golf counts for nothing, as Americans win this event most years.

Spieth 16/1
    Mickelson 50/1
    Zach Johnson 100/1

karlos5001 likes this.

11. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

The bookmakers are squeezing the living daylights out of the golf markets recently. How on Earth they all won't go 1/4 the odds and 8 places on these events is bewildering.

Plenty with obvious chances so I'm going to root about throughout the week and try find someone from left field who will hopefully make a surprise run for the 4 days.

I have a few already in mind and I'll try my best to get them up by Wednesday.

karlos5001 likes this.
  12. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

I backed Jon Rambo Rahm a few weeks back at 20/1 and think he will be right up there come the back nine on Sunday.Also backed Jordan Speith who's short game should be suited by this course.Looking forward to a cracking four days of good golfy:emoticon-0165-muscl

karlos5001 likes this.
  13. Talal El

Talal El Well-Known Member

I backed DJ at a top price of 16/1 during the week which I thought was great considering his fair Open record and being number one.
    Also got Sergio at 22s and Lefty Phil at 50s

karlos5001 likes this.
  14. karlos5001

Good luck fellas with your bets. Lets hope it's a fantastic Open and a few of us come away with a bit of profit

Ste D and stick like this.
  15. stick

stick Bumper King

I have added Lefty to my portfolio. Seems crazy to leave him out at 50/1.

karlos5001 and Ste D like this.
  16. SaveTheHumans

You do realise Bones has left the building. It isn't Phil anymore *sighs heavily*

stick likes this.
  17. SaveTheHumans

Ok lads, here most definitely are the ones you have not been waiting on <laugh> I won't go overboard this year. I've chosen a few ultra speculative ones alongside some realistic ones that have a serious chance of winning at what I deem decent value...

Paul Waring @ 250/1 - His last Open was also at Birkdale 2008 where he finished a creditable 19th. He's coming back into a touch of his old form after a medical exemption and whilst I doubt he will win, he could play himself into the places if things fall into place for him on a course he has done well on historically.

Bill Hass @ 80/1 - super golfer on his day with a good finish in last year's version and another solid display at Erin Hills recently. Getting to the stage of his career where winning majors is about all that matters as he's financially secure no doubt thanks to a certain FedEx cup victory, but he's got the credentials to manage his way around for the week and I really expect him to do well here this week.

Marc Leishman @ 33/1 - grew up in Oz with plenty of breezy conditions to perfect his ball flight and the shot shaping required to contend at Links golf. Has made a nice habit of popping up in the big tournaments of late and can no doubt land one someday, if it's this week remains to be seen.

Shane Lowry @ 55/1 - this whole course layout is made for Lowry and if the putter can come back to normal health I can't see him outside the top 10 this week. Fairways and short game almost assured, if the flat stick gets going, he has a huge chance.

My selections are based around searching for some value in what I view as a wretched market the bookies offer up currently.

I always like to keep an eye for the Amateurs in this too, it's fun to track who bags the silver medal. Maverick McNealy is someway the best of these and is the number 2 ranked amateur and a fair bit ahead of this week's rival Conor Syme. Plenty of media hype around Harry Ellis too and rightly so. I wouldn't bet in this area but McNealy should take the silver medal home to the US. I actually like Luca Cianchetti, the young Italian but fear the occasion will likely scupper his chances this week.

Best of luck with your bets and hopefully talk to you lads Sunday evening <ok>

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    smokethedeadbadger likes this.
  18. beeforsalmon

beeforsalmon Well-Known Member

Few darts chucked at this using Skybets crazy top 10 places offer.

R Fowler 14/1
    Seemingly one by one the top talented guys you think might never win a major all are starting to, DJ, Stenson, Garcia...is it Fowler's turn? My take on it is I'll always question him until he does it, but he has to be there or thereabouts come late Sunday and the wind and rain are nay bother to this laddie (say that in your best Scottish accent ;))

Matsuyama 20/1
    Similar to Rickie really, sharp iron player but worryingly has been dodgy with the flat stick this year, in this major I feel sometimes it's possible to get away with that on greens not as demanding as they face in the US. Accuracy with the second shot is key here and he has that in his locker.

Harman 125/1
    In a rich rein of form (look at his recent form figures) and saw of Rahm and co a few months back in the States at Wells Fargo, not a long hitter but an accurate striker. Could be on the periphery of things if the draw works in his favour.

Kisner 125/1
    Pretty much the same as Harman, for seeing off Rahm read Spieth in the Dean & Deluca. Very talented player this guy and I think he's very decent odds to sneak a top 10.

First major in years I haven't backed McIlroy, hacks up now <doh>

19. SaveTheHumans

I can't recommend the PGA tour website enough for all stats if you haven't selected your golfers yet lads. Well worth a gloss over if you've any niggling doubts. It definitely won't guarantee a profitable week but it will narrow the selection process down accurately for what you're looking for.

karlos5001 likes this.
  20. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Sod research and the PGA website. A brief study of the field reveal 2 most spectacular names. Step forward Phachara Khongwatmai and Xander Schauffele. 500/1 and a miserly 175/1 respectively. :emoticon-0164-cash::emoticon-0164-cash::emoticon-0164-cash:

smokethedeadbadger likes this.