1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

God give me strengh....

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

But it's ok when Sam, or Dick or Poyet does it? This point keeps getting dodged and it's irritating me, why is ok for some to be straight talking and not others?

Let's be honest, many people judge a manager on their media persona. I think it's sad personally. I'm going round in circles and my questions are being ignored so don't see the point in continuing. Enjoy the game fella. <ok>:)

2. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I don't recall Gus or Dick being anywhere near as negative as Moyes is. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong. With Sam it was clear that although he was being honest he was at the same time generating a real buzz around the place.

Like Norton says it's not about having Mr Charisma in charge. It's about not having Mr Negative.

3. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

But they did it in a different way. You mentioned di Canio getting **** for doing the same earlier. He got no **** from me. Di Canio had fire in his belly and to a certain extent so did Allardyce and Poyet (Advocaat clearly didn't). Moyes comes across as a man who is overly cautious, who has run out of ideas, and who has no confidence in himself or his team. That's not an observation based on his media persona- its based on his tactics and the way his team plays. The way he presents himself in the media just exacerbates that picture.
    You enjoy the game too, Bri. My opinions of David Moyes count for nothing for 90mins after the lads cross that white line.

4. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Seriously? Dick spent the summer saying to the media we weren't good enough and we need to spend. Then he walked over it. It was only a few years ago man. You must smoke stronger **** than me <laugh>

Enjoy the game mate, as said I'm done with this convo :)

Nacho likes this.
  5. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

I didn't assume that, Holloway is not the Polar opposite, they've won the same amount of trophies, they're both not that good imo. I could have said Wenger, that'd be polar opposite.

Wengers mollycoddling and refusal to acknowledge the truth is probably the biggest reason why he has been embarrassingly poor for the last 10 years, given the club he is at.

6. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong I'm not blaming it solely on Moyes, as it stems from above him and essentially Short, particularly on the transfer (or lack of) activity.

We can be a ****e bunch of fans, no doubt about it, and I'm one of those whose vocal on here about how poor their 'support' is.

Tel (they/them) likes this.
  7. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

I didn't necessarily mean you, Tel. It was a more an observation on the general gist of the conversation; if you don't want A, you must want B kind of thing.
    You're right though, Wenger is the polar opposite. But his approach at least offers some protection to his players and himself. Neither he or Moyes appears particularly astute at using the media (although I'd say Wenger was the better of the two) but it doesn't seem particularly hard to me to come out with meaningless statements to fulfill the requirements of media duties without actually giving away potentially detrimental information, thoughts, or opinions.

Nacho and Tel (they/them) like this.