1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

God give me strengh....

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

Joleon Lescott is training with Sunderland ahead of a possible free transfer - according to reports.Black Cats boss David Moyes reiterated in his press conference this morning that funds at the club are 'limited with a big L'.

He pressed home the need to look at loan signings from abroad and potential free transfers, similar to the deals struck to bring Victor Anichebe and Steven Pienaar to the club in the summer.

He said: "We’re trying to get a couple of loans in, to be fair looking at the transfers we’ve made, you could argue that Steven Pienaar and Victor Anichebe have done as well as anybody. So we have to try and find another couple like that if we can.

Lescott is another who worked with Moyes at Everton, before signing for Manchester City in a multi-million pound move in 2009.

He has since had spells at Aston Villa and West Brom, before moving to AEK Athens in the summer. He made only four appearances before suffering a knee injury and agreeing to terminate his contract, but revealed on BBC Five Live last week that he has fully recovered and was looking for a club.

He said: "My plan is just to find a new club,

“I’m realistic about where I am in my career now and I know I’m probably not going to be anyone’s first choice at the moment.

“So I’m just hoping that once teams go for their top targets and may or may not get them, there is an opportunity somewhere.

“I’m ready now. I’ve been training, full training, for the last three weeks so I’m available and ready to go.”

Moyes said this morning that any possible additions to the Sunderland squad may well be ones that merely 'add to the squad'.

He said: "Obviously, I hope the players we get in can make a big difference, but more than likely the ones we are trying to get will be added to the squad to help us with numbers.

2. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Moyes did say any appointments
    Wouldn't make a great difference to the side
    I'm not happy with him
    But he is experienced and could help keep us up.

3. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

will he be committed enough. or be just like the other lazy ****ers, thank god Pickford is on the horizon and Anichebe too

Gil T Azell likes this.
  4. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Lescott. Ffs:emoticon-0121-angry

5. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

At least he has a nice car.

please log in to view this image

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  6. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

I will take any player who can improve us at the minute lads, and he might. WBA sign Livermore ! good player and will have a cracker against us tomorrow I fear.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  7. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

Hopefully he might surprise us, like Anichebe.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  8. Teessidemackem

Heres a new machday song for our new defensive Rock....

9. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

We'll shortly be renamed ' The David Moyes drop in centre for over-the-hill former Everton players'. Expect Tim Cahill and Thomas Gravesen next.

Billy Death and Gil T Azell like this.
  10. Teessidemackem

Tony Hibbert and Leon Osman are next mate.
    I wouldnt even moan if we signed Cahill. Hes probably better than Januzaj.

Billy Death and The Norton Cat like this.

11. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Virtually everybody wrote Big Vic off in an instant. I was pretty much on my own defending the signing. Moyes has little money to work with. I'll back anyone he signs.

12. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

If he comes lets hope he does have a similar impact to Big Vic, and is not another Pienaar which is my worry.

marcusblackcat likes this.
  13. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Echoing my thoughts perfectly.

Victor Anichebe got loads of stick on here and from the press when we signed him - as did Moyes. Now he's a fairly pivotal cog for us. If we sign Lescott - OK he was dog **** last year - ask West Brom fans how good Anichebe was - just as bad if not worse.

I'll back whoever he gets.

14. QWOP

QWOP Well-Known Member

He's a monumental dick but let's face it, he's an improvement on what you have (barring Kone but he wants out!).

Don't think he would be a poor signing for you. I feel bad for Moyes. He's been dealt a bad hand if he's relying on loans.

15. Teessidemackem

The difference with Vic is hes only 28 so hes effectively in his prime if he can try stay fit.
    Lescotts been past it for a few years now.

16. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Just for the record I would not mind Lescott coming in, we need defenders more than attackers imo. we ship far too many goals and clean sheets are required to give us any chance. Kone Lescott and Bodgy might make a decent back three, once we get our midfield sorted.

17. Brian Storm

I'm not expecting every signing to have Big Vic's effect either. I just understand how difficult a job Moyes has here. This is the worst squad and situation since Mick McCarthy had his hands tied. I don't have a bad word to say about him either. Some managers I just can't blame or ridicule or slag their signings off, cause they'd clearly sign better if they had the financial freedom.

Makemstine Roger and SAFCDRUM like this.
  18. Brian Storm

Such differences weren't attributed to him when he signed though. He was written off and ridiculed in most parts. When we have little to spend, going for players Moyes knows is perhaps our best chance of getting the best out of poorer players who are available. Moyes can get more out of these poor players than their previous managers as he knows them better, probably better chance of success than Moyes would get out of equally poor players which he is unfamiliar with.

It's a **** situation one we can't afford to make worse by ridiculing them before they've kicked a ball. Vic seemed to thrive of being written off, but the next player might be more self conscious and our attitude could make or break them being a success. All I ask is we acknowledge our situation and with that knowledge and welcome and support any signings we bring in regardless of their recent form.

We'd all like to go out and sign the next promising break through center back, but it's just not happening. Our support can help give the next cheap signing that bit of lift to perform better, but the lack of it can easily make the gamble fail.

It's not a swipe at anyone on here. But as a twitter user and seeing the way an unhealthy amount of our own supporters behave on there, this signing has public ridicule written all over it. It's just not helpful to the cause imo.

19. Brian Storm

can anyone see why that quote didn't work? how strange.

20. ADR66

ADR66 Member

Lets give Lescott a chance if he signs, what we need more is a influential Midfielder who can create, we don't have anyone who can do that.

Brian Storm likes this.