1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Go or Stay - Your Thoughts.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Apr 20, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Bristol City 2017/2018 - who should stay and who should go?
    The Post evaluates Lee Johnson’s squad ahead of a vital period of summer rebuilding to progress and challenge for a place in the Premier League

Johnson's Bristol City have endured a tough season in the Championship but look well placed to seal another year in England's second tier.
    Careful rebuilding will be required in the summer, whatever happens, and some fine-tuning to the squad to make sure the same disappointing results across the winter don't happen again in the next campaign.

Here we evaluate all the players and discuss their futures at BS3...

Aaron Wilbraham
    The club captain has played a distinguished role as a veteran since January, helping to hold up the ball in the latter stages of games, and shepherding younger players like Tammy Abraham through the tough times. He’s also chipped in with a few valuable goals.

With Djuric, Taylor and Tomlin as other attacking options, McCoulsky and Engvall to come through and (surely) a replacement for Abraham to arrive, the time might be up for the 37-year-old. On the other hand, one more year might help see through more of the club’s youngsters and offer a good rotation option.

Go. (Or one last short-term deal.)

Tammy Abraham
    No brainer. Can the Robins convince Chelsea to loan him out again? Worth asking the question.
    Stay

Milan Djuric
    Hasn’t had enough time to prove his worth in the Championship yet. Lee Johnson told us last week that he remains a huge fan and the Bosnia and Herzegovina’s international goalscoring record demands attention. Jury’s out but should be a good squad option at least next term.
    Stay

Matty Taylor

Hasn’t yet replicated his goalscoring feats from League 1 but well poised to have a good effect in 2017-18. Has chipped in with four assists and two goals in six starts since his switch from the Blue side of Bristol though, a decent return.
    Stay

Mark Little

Is one of the few players in the squad to be out of contract in the summer, along with Aaron Wilbraham. Right-back has been City’s weak spot in 2016-17 but Little has done superbly well in the last three games, enabling Korey Smith to move into midfield and helping the Robins to seven points in their last three matches. Has done enough for another year or two, and to help oversee the likes of Zak Vyner to make the breakthrough.
    Stay

Aden Flint

Must stay. A colossus in defence even if he does give away the occasional penalty with a poorly-timed challenge. Aerially dominant and someone to build the team around. Sure to be interesting other clubs in the summer – a good sign.
    Stay

Baily Wright

After a slow start has gradually got better and better at the back for the Robins. Has formed a solid partnership at the back with Flint.
    Stay

Hordur Magnusson

The utility defender has made too many individual errors to be considered a first choice player for City currently, but is young enough to improve and fill in a number of roles during the next campaign.
    Stay

Joe Bryan

Fast becoming one of the best left-backs in the Championship. Will get better, too.
    Stay

Jamie Paterson

The dynamic midfielder has been brilliant since returning to the first-team against Wolves, and his goals from midfield and previous record shows he can be a real star at this level.
    Stay

Josh Brownhill

The all-action midfielder has forced his way into the first-team reckoning at Ashton Gate. At just 21, there’s a lot more to come from the former Preston prospect.
    Stay

Marlon Pack

Has been in steady form all season, protecting the back four and carefully recycling possession. There’s more to come from the reliable defensive midfielder.
    Stay

Gary O’Neil

The veteran central midfielder has played a crucial role in helping to guide the team through some of the tougher times. Can be relied on to stick his foot in when needed and to unsettle the rhythm of opposing teams, but at 34 (next month) it’s time to move on to younger options (with Brownhill and Paterson impressing hugely since O’Neil got injured against Brentford). Has been earning his coaching badges and looks well set to stay in the game.
    Go

Frank Fielding

A solid option in goal. Outstanding saves against Wolves and QPR have underlined his class.
    Stay

Fabien Giefer

The on-loan Schalke midfielder has looked a little unsteady in goal since his January move, making nine Championship appearances. Might be better to recruit a player already able to handle the robust English game.
    Go

Bobby Reid

The attacking midfielder has been hit and miss this season. Able to produce some quality in the final third, Reid has failed to convince so far though. Needs to work on his decision-making, but at 24 still has time on his side.
    Stay (but Go if he wants regular first-team football, a consideration)

Zak Vyner

Promising defensive prospect. One to keep an eye on over the next few seasons.
    Stay

Callum O’Dowda

Another promising midfielder who has impressed in patches for City. Will get better and better.
    Stay

Lee Tomlin

A leader of the team and possibly the most creative outlet on his day. Likely to be about to hit his peak as an attacking midfielder at 28 years old. Brings an almost guarantee of goals and assists next season.
    Stay

Adam Matthews

The on-loan full back has failed to break into the first-team set-up. Needs to show more energy at right-back.
    Go

Scott Golbourne

Offers a good squad option for full-back if he can be persuaded to be back-up to Bryan.
    Stay

David Cotterill

Has been a good loan since January, with two goals and two assists in his 12 starts, but it could be that City begin to look long term in this position, and bring in a more mobile and pacey option come the summer.
    Go

Korey Smith

The former Norwich and Oldham player has filled in the gaps for the Robins this season, possibly to the detriment of his own game. A very useful option for 2017-18 still.
    Stay

Jens Hegeler

Has failed to adapt to English football so far, but only last week Lee Johnson claimed that he would be looking to the German to play a key role next season.
    Stay (but question marks remain)

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-20172018-who-should-29486

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  2. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Defo to go
    O'Neil
    Wilbraham

Possible to go
    Reid
    Tomlin

Assumption being that all the loan players: Abraham, Matthews, Cotterill and Giefer leave.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  3. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

To Go
    Johnson
    Wilbraham
    Mathews

4. TampaBayBCFC

TampaBayBCFC Active Member

Agree with the first on the list!

5. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

Go
    Abraham - we have 2 hopes of him being at Ashton Gate next season - No Hope and Bob Hope
    Matthews
    Cotterill
    Keifer
    O'neill

I would offer Wilbraham a player-coach role

We need to get 3 quality players - centre-forward, centre-midfield and right back

6. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced that we wont see Tammy next season. I might be clutching at straws but he is still only 19, he wont get a look in at Chelsea. He knows that if he comes here that he is loved, he fits in with the team, he will play regularly and he will score goals. He may not fancy ending up as another Patrick Bamford, by gambling on going to a better side just to sit on the bench and disappear into obscurity and out of peoples thoughts.

7. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Gutted and a little annoyed that Tammy didn't make the Championship team of the year given his age and relative lack of experience.

Booooo !!

8. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

Sod Tammy did Adam Matthews make it? :emoticon-0143-smirk

9. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

I saw a rumour somewhere that Tammy was of interest to Leicester and I feel if he can step up to Premiership pace then that could be good for his future, rather than returning to the animal farm that is Chelsea. When we signed O'Neill I though we had a bargain but the few times I have seen him I was not particularly impressed. No matter what is said by the brass the experiment with Lee has been a disaster, if you look at the entire season rather than the last few games, and to continue with him would fly in the face of common sense. The saddest thing for me is we missed out on Harry, yeah right.

10. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I'll reserve judgement on Lee's season when the final ball is kicked.
    If we are still in the Championship then it has been disappointing, but certainly not a disaster.
    Disaster is what we had under Delboy and SOD and were heading for under Cotterill. RELEGATION.

11. invermeremike

Fair point but we aren't safe yet and as you say he can only be truly judged at the end of the season, but no matter what I want him gone.

12. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Delboy and SOD did not have this squad<doh> nor did Cotterill.
    This has been one big disaster.

robin_unreliant likes this.
  13. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

No but didn't they (at some point) have Baldock, Pitman, Albert, Bollasie, Heaton, Rose, Caulker and a number of other players that have since played, or are about to play in the Prem? Or even England?

Didn't Cotts have £11m to spend on Gayle or Gray?

NOT singing LJs praises - I'm pissed off with him and never wanted him - just getting it in perspective.

BCFCRob, smhbcfc and wings-of-a-crow like this.
  14. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Fair point that-Funny thought that the majority have gone on to much bigger and better things after they left-

15. TampaBayBCFC

TampaBayBCFC Active Member

The biggest disaster this season is how Johnson has disenfranchised the fans. His football management also blows....

Red Robin likes this.
  16. invermeremike

Ashton Gate seems to be a breeding ground for players on their way up the ladder to success and also for managers on the way down a different trail.

17. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Seems like I'm on my own!! Although we have had a disappointing season (disaster if we go down) I'm happy enough if LJ stays, for at least the first dozen games of the new campaign...
    He's young, hungry and ambitious.....Plus, I don't see many managers out there (available) that I could say will make a massive difference..

Supcon72 and manxrobin like this.
  18. Alandicksthegreat

Alandicksthegreat Well-Known Member

19. Alandicksthegreat

Alandicksthegreat Well-Known Member

Not on your own OneFor, if we stay up, make three or four good signings, I will, like you give LJ the first dozen games.

20. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

I have said it many times on here, the fans that are most bitter about our season are the ones who had delusions of grandeur over how good our squad is. We are not and never were top 6 material, and as I say anyone who thought we were is deluded.
    For a start back in Aug/Sep once JK left we had no known striker, nobody knew then how good Tammy would turn out, and yet people thought we could be top 6.
    Players like Tomlin are either excellent or a big liability in equal measure. Yes Johnson hasn't done well, but in fairness to him a lot of players have underperformed at various stages of the season.
    We certainly should have been a top half of the table squad, if not pushing the top 10.
    Maybe next season we will be, although the deluded few will then equate that into us winning the title......