1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gills v Charlton and Ref

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by gioblues, Oct 23, 2016.

1. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

A very good performance from Gills yesterday especially first half. A very bold formation from JED with Nouble , Mcdonald and Jet upfront and Dack attacking midfield. Was really surprised and worked a treat in the first half with JET really impressing and Nouble also looking sharp. In midfield Knott looked quality in the middle with Hess also doing well. Herd went into centre back and formed a good partnership with Ehmar {Herd has now played in 3 different positions already) A good quality goal from Gills when Jet found Kerchesky who crossed a quality ball to Dack to header in. Gills had almost scored before when great play by Jet set up Dack only to be well saved by keeper. There was only one team in the first half.
    Second half Gills again started well but could not get that second goal. Then the ref started to get involved and Charlton began to start playing further forward. The ref then gave a pen against Gills when after a lot of pushing and grabbing from both teams Jackson lightly pushed their player for a soft pen. (The same thing was happening in when Gills had a corner but nothing was said.) Anyway justice was done when Nelson made a great save. Soon afterwards it looked like Gills should of got a pen when Cody was fouled from behind when about to shoot but was not given to the dismay of 3 sides of the stadium. Charlton then started to get on top and Nelson then had to make some great saves to keep Gills infront. But again Gills conceded a late goal when Herd who had a terrific game at centre half gave away a pen when the ball hit his arm. There was still a chance for Gills when this time Cody was awarded a free kick just outside the area. Unfortunely the shot was blocked and it finished 1-1.
    I went home disappointed but if we can play like the first half we should start moving up the table. But we do need to score 2 or 3 goals when on top or we stay near the bottom.

2. brb

brb CR250

Likewise I felt JET and Nouble were awesome together yesterday and I named them as my top two in player vote thread. Nelson clearly couldn't stop smiling after the penalty save and who could blame him, coming on as sub and stealing the show.

I was very proud of our performance and despite not taking the 3 points the fact the players turned up for 90 minutes is all i ask.

One question and probably my only unsettling few seconds during the game, why after going one up, did Nouble move inside for a brief period, immediately on the restart, Gills regained instant possession and the ball was played out to where Nouble had been for 41 minutes prior and he was absent and the ball ended up in an empty, non collective space. Did Nouble choose to drift in through error/adrenaline or did the manager suddenly switch formation, after that it was quickly corrected again, so i assume Nouble just got caught adrift for a few secs?

I've held back on a ref view until i see a link to the highlights, I actually do believe a few minor decisions the ref made were correct, despite objections. On the more major one's i need to see the camera views first.

Finally despite being proud of the whole team, I have to return to the matter that most people disagree with me on, Cody! Regardless of referee's decisions is he unable to stay on his feet, I know this is controversial but without doubt i would drop him, we need a more versatile striker.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016