1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gills Team...

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Jul 18, 2017.

1. brb

brb CR250

Cannot keep up with all the comings and goings, so stole this...

please log in to view this image

grumpygit likes this.
  2. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Are we allowed to field 27 players at the same time - might stand a chance of not conceding.

It does look as if we've got reasonable cover in most positions. Our budget wasn't going to buy anything amazing - and is probably going to prevent us being able to get another ( decent ) striker - which I feel we may need................. From the potential of the current squad, I'd like to think that we won't concede the type and quantity of goals that ruined many days for me last season.

3. JAMES THE GILLS MAN

JAMES THE GILLS MAN Active Member

whats worrying is that I can only see Ehmer , Wright and Wagstaff as the only outfield players that are going to start, sometimes I think it would be nice that the team can pick itself, not this season.

Anybody got any ideas on what formation AP is using? using 11 players that is!!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  4. brb

brb CR250

Chatham 0-12 Gills

I think we could say i'm happy :)

5. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

That's good work brb, having just scored 12 and conceded 0 I think we might have had 27 playing at once.

alwaysright and brb like this.
  6. brb

brb CR250

Can i just say.....that Cody wasn't playing...just saying that's all :)

grumpygit likes this.
  7. Old Timer in Cyprus

Old Timer in Cyprus Active Member

Well that beats the ten goals we put past Gorlestone in 1st round of FA Cup back in 1957. Ron Saunders (later to become a famous manager) scored five goals himself. Gorlestone were forced to play their 16 year old third choice goalie because of injuries. Sadly he went off in tears at the end being consoled by Gills players.

8. alwaysright

I rarely go to friendlies - ( I have enough misery doing nearly all 'proper' games ) -- but - from what I read we are performing reasonably well, whilst at the same time giving trialists an opportunity. The feedback is fairly positive - which is more than can be said for last season ( with a million injuries ). The core of what will be the matchday squad appear to be starting to gel. Ipswich should ( I hope ), provide more meaningful opposition, and give us a more realistic understanding of the potential of the players ahead of the 'real stuff' at Doncaster ( got my ticket ). In the meantime - keep up the good work ( and stay injury free ).

9. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

I would like to see Liam Nash given a decent run out as he seems to have pretty good potential. Would not want another 'potentially' good player slip through our net. Competition for places is no bad thing.

grumpygit and brb like this.
  10. brb

brb CR250

Was seeing loads of stuff about him, everyone calling for him to be signed.

11. brb

brb CR250

Not seen Zaki get much of a mention, I believe he wore the captains arm band at one of the friendlies. I think he will be in the starting 11, maybe they are keeping him under wraps for now?

12. alwaysright

brb - I've been looking on the internet. Nash ( only 21 ), has been scoring loads of goals in non league for a few seasons already. He has attracted a lot of interest from L1 &L2 clubs .
    He wears the number 10, and from the clips I've found, he appears to be a Cody McDonald type striker ( thought you'd like to know that ).............. in all seriousness, now that we've to other forwards who may (should), be able to win a few headers, Nash should be able to 'feed off' --- it's what Cody has missed since Bayo left.

13. brb

brb CR250

Sounds like my type of player lol

Hope it works out for the lad.

14. alwaysright

Nash - now signed up - on a two year deal. Looks to be the final piece of the jigsaw. I know that we've got a limited budget - but, on paper, it appears that AP has been able to recruit reasonable players .
    I hope to not have to have 'relegation' mentioned - and you never know - we might just be a dark horse for a top 6 place...................... I'm sorry I said that - I blame it on the weather - a bit like the idiot in his car earlier today, blocking the junction as it led to a main road. Traffic ( including myself ), were having to gingerly get past him and emerge into the main road. What was he doing ? - Texting !!

15. brb

brb CR250

alwaysright - thanks for the update and good news if we go by supporter pre season reviews. Certainly looking forward to the new season, they've done what I wanted and completely rebuilt the team, this makes me happy in the sense that we are going into the unknown, let's just hope, as we always hope.

grumpygit and alwaysright like this.
  16. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Young squad being assembled by Ady and Taylor. Hopefully Ady wont be as negative as Taylor was last time as manager.

brb and grumpygit like this.
  17. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Looking at most teams in our league they seem to have signed more experienced players from a higher level than us, that said, we do seem to look a lot more organised in the pre-season games than last year. Today will give us a real test, a win would be great, a draw would be good, a loss by the odd goal or 2 acceptable, a total drubbing would concern me that our defensive frailties remain.
    Last year brb rightly said that pre-season is largely irrelevant, however I was concerned by the teams lack of discipline and organisation when defending which turned out to be our downfall, this year whilst the players don't seem particularly more skilful, they do look like more of a team and a lot harder to breakdown.

brb and alwaysright like this.
  18. brb

brb CR250

Excellent point and this probably be my main worry if a repetition of last time existed.

I'm full of positivity over the pre season building, however, if I see any signs of the Taylor negativity from last time round, I will be blowing a gasket on a larger scale than after someone told me Kuffour was a genius.