1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gills stay up

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by gioblues, Apr 30, 2017.

1. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Gills stay up. With both port vale and Gills drawing 0-0 Gills stay in league 1. Think Pennock picked best team possible with Nelson back in and Bryne back from injury after impressing before injury lay off.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  2. gioblues

Kenny Jackett was at Northampton game so hopefully Scally has him in mind.

3. allbluelenny

allbluelenny Well-Known Member

Not my top choice after only winning 6 games all season albeit in a fantastic division, although he will know what it would take to get up and stay up if Mr Scally lets him have the money to do so

4. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Anyone who listened to the AP interview post match will realise the problems at the club run deep, personally I think Ade deserves a chance of building his own team.
    And the Nelson interview supports the view, also suggests the trouble started after Christmas of last season.

Well done to the lads, even though a lot will be going elsewhere, they worked hard to ensure our survival today.

5. gioblues

Need to get money from Dack transfer in. See if any one offers 500k with add ons.

6. brb

brb CR250

Makes a change for things to go our way, what a season.

7. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

Sorry...and do what with the £500K? If he's good enough, build the team around him and we could return to the halcyon days of late 2015. There are a few reasonable players in the team, why sell off the decent ones to buy more mediocrity .......unless you know of some good players at bargain prices. Super Bob Taylor cost £600K all those years ago so what price his likes now???????

8. gioblues

He has only got a year left on contract. We have no money in the kitty even for average players. We have to sell to survive. Its not just transfer fees its wages. We must get youth players in the team if they are good enough. Wright is the only other player with any value because of his goals this season. Cannot see him getting double figures again. Dack needs to go as he has gone stale and needs a challage. Not saying it will work out for him but has to give it a go.
    I cant see us anywhere near the top unless these youngsters come through. We can get ex championship youth players in.
    People like Egan.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    patchy70 likes this.
  9. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

I'm really undecided about Pennock. He inherited some severely average players, but didn't manage to get performances out of them, and eventually we stayed up because over 46 games other teams were worse than us, not us better than them. Yes I know if they were worse then we were better, but you know what I mean.

There will surely be a massive clear out of players, but would we want to risk starting a new season with a new manager AND a virtually new squad?

Some big decisions to be made, and they need to be started to be made soon. If Pennock does stay I hope that not too many of the incoming players are from L2 and National League. You play NL players and you'll end up playing NL football. There should always be room for developing players from lower leagues, but they should not be the foundation stones of the squad.

WINDYROG and patchy70 like this.
  10. itstimupnorth

In all the justifiably muted celebrations, just consider that this was our first clean sheet in the league since December 17th (M K Dons) and I think only our second of the season.

11. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

WINDYROG and gioblues like this.
  12. GFCSTU

GFCSTU Member

I agree grumpy for the same reasons you have quoted.

13. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

<applause> well done lads did have me worried there for a bit though <yikes>

brb likes this.
  14. brb

brb CR250

Thanks mate <ok>

MIGHTY likes this.
  15. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Although you can tell that he is passionate and from his interview I actually felt sorry for him for the first time under his tenure, as harsh as it is, I'm still not convinced he's the right man for the job. He's made some strange decisions in terms of team selections and substitutions and not forgetting making the decision to release our only fit Left Back meaning our hands were forced to play more people put of position or have to play 3 at the back.

I personally would wish him thanks but send him on his way now, rather than both parties have to go through the humiliating and more expensive task of sacking him a few months into the season if it doesn't work out and frankly 4 wins in 21 would suggest that would be the case.

I think the club needs an individual that will come in, steady the ship and restructure the football side in the ways in clearly needs to be but that's my opinion.

patchy70 likes this.
  16. gioblues

17. itstimupnorth

So the season is finished, and apparently the Chairman is 'going away' and the manager doesn't know whether he's got a job next season.

If that is actually correct it's utterly disgraceful. I can understand the Chairman not wanting to make decisions until he knew what division we would be playing in next season, but surely at the very least he should already be considering AP's proposals so that he can make a decision on whether to adopt those, adopt them with amendments (because probably they won't be financially workable as presented), or make different plans. And he certainly shouldn't make different plans without considering AP's plan.

We have somehow just escaped relegation, and it would seem that there is a lot that is broken within the club. We now know where we will be playing next season and there is apparently an opportunity to try to resolve the problems, whatever hey may be, and we've got a week's start at least on the rest of the leagues. This is not the time the Chairman should be going away. He can go away in September when everything is sorted out and thing put in place for next season, but should be working harder than ever at this time.

If he didn't take anything out of the club it wouldn't be quite so bad, but for £200k+ a year I expect more.

18. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

Snap....he did a very good job at Forest Green before being dumped on. A manager is a manager and sometimes has to work with the 'tools' (not a Freudian slip') he has. Bringing in the best manager in the universe is not going to turn the Gills into Europa League candidates if the players are still all bargain basement fare.

There have doubtlessly been some unseen issues and not all has been happy at the club for some time. I, for one, am happy to see Steve Lovell back at the club and Ady a former defender SHOULD be able to identify the defence shortcomings (as should JED have).

Choosing who stays and who goes is always an issue.....skill, desire to wear the shirt, and effort are the main ingredients. We'll have to weed out those who are performing below their capacity....and there's been a few.

grumpygit and itstimupnorth like this.