1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gillingham win and clean sheet

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by gioblues, Nov 26, 2016.

1. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Well done Gills with an impressive win against 5th place Rochdale and a first clean sheet for the season.
    Could we now challenge for a play off place rather than looking like a relegation side. We are only 3 points off the play offs now and have won 3 out of our last 4 league matches. Shame next game is on the box against Bolton as we normally lose those games. We have 2 weeks off now so hopefully some injured players could also be fit.
    Cargill has formed a good partnership with Ehmar at the back and Wagstaff seems to get better at right back every game. Hessy is playing well and JET continues scoring
    I for won was against JED staying on but looks like he is proving me wrong. long may it continue.

2. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Yes - Well done - but - let's not get carried away !
    Rochdale played with greater pace and accuracy of passing - particularly in the first half in which they wasted a couple of good chances. Gills' midfield were again guilty of not closing down, quickly enough the Rochdale advances, and the team took until nearly half time to get some reasonable possession.
    The 2nd half was more like the Gills of old ( at home ). It was good to see some adventure for a change - but still too many hoofballs. I still believe that JE-T would be better employed 'partnering' McDonald - nearer the middle of the pitch ---Cody is crying out for support !!!
    I thought Wagstaff had a very good game - and, in what is becoming a more settled back line, we are not making as many mistakes in defence. ( still not sure about Konchesky - would rather have a 'fit' Garmston ).

One negative point - why did Edinbugh not substitute Nouble ? His tackling continued to be dubious - even after being booked. The referee even had to ask the captain, Wright to intervene. We could so easily have gone down to 10 men. At the time we were only 1-0 ahead -- and I'm sure if we had to defend the last 10 minutes with only 10 players, we would probably have lost the game.

As for the referee - I hope Santa brings you some spectacles. And for the linesmen = a purpose in life !

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  3. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

1st half was very dull. Rochdale played it around us too often but luckily their end product was very poor so they didn't create an awful lot. There was a period during the first half where both teams had a game of head tennis but not an awful lot else happened. Would need to see Cargill's goal which was ruled offside again because being quite close to it in the BMS I thought the player marking him kept him onside. Also disappointing to see Billy Knott go off so early with an injury as he was looking very positive.

Second half was a lot better. We applied a lot more pressure and we managed to take our chances. Once JET managed to secure that 2nd goal, that really killed Rochdale off. Tbf to Rory to get that cross away for Byrne was very decent but Rochdale had given up by then hence the lack of marking for the goal. Overall though I'm glad to say I've finally seen a win for the first time since March after all my previous games in that period being draws or losses.