1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gillingham Player of the Season

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by TheBatchinator, May 4, 2011.

1. TheBatchinator

please log in to view this image

There are certainly many candidates to choose from, but who in your opinion is worthy of receiving the award. It all really stems down to your philosophy of football. Do you share the opinion that goal-scorers are the be all and end all and are ultimately the most integral part of a side? Or do you adopt a different view whereby you appreciate more the work horses, the passionate and the selfless player. In recent years, the latter of the options has been the chosen option with fan favourite Simon King preffered by supporters despite Simeon Jackson being in a rich vein of form that season. Last season saw Andy Barcham collect the award for his consistent form over the course of the season.
    On your entrance through the turnstiles, I expect you have already been greeted by stewards and staff all handing you a ballot paper to select your preffered player. So who is your favourite? Here are a few who I deem the deserved few.

Cody McDonald: No surprise here, having gained rave reviews from parent club Norwich city, Cody has certainly proved every bit fantastic as the Canaries have described him as. At the tender age of 24, Mcdonald is certainly not the finished article (no pun intended), but has shown fantastic potential which is epitomised by the 24 goals he has notched to his tally this term. His eye for a goal, pace and composure have seen Gills supporters take a particular liking to Cody and it is no surprise that he has attracted attention from clubs such as Sheffield United and Peterborough. You'd be harsh to deny him the award after already picking up ESPN league two player of the year and his goals have undoubtedly proved crucial to any success we may gain this season.

Matt Lawrence: Too many times have we seen so called 'experienced players' come to Priestfield and leave us aggrieved by the lack of passion and skill that these players present. Does Steve Lomas refresh your memories? However with Matt, it has been a different story altogether. Despite being well surpassing the average retirement age at 37, Lawrence has been a stand-out player for the Gills this season and his knowledge and experience of the game has proved priceless. His reading of the game is by far the best I've seen in a Gillingham jersey for a long time and where some of our players often commit the crime of being clumsy and lazy, Lawrence strives forward. His never say die attitude is infectious and it is obvious that he trains hard and reaps thus reaps the rewards on the field. He is what I would describe as the lynch-pin in the side, a lot like Simon King had been before his awful injury. When he is missing, the defence looks shaky and suspect, with him in the side the defence is organised and effective.

Adebayo Akinfenwa: Having arrived from Northampton, football fans would have been fully aware of Bayo's abilily as proven by his goal scoring record and strong physique that have given league 1 and 2 defences scars both mentally and physically. When he first arrived, I was like most embarrased at the size of him but remained adament that after gaining some much needed fitness, he would prove a crucial part of the team. Eventually I was proven right, it may have taken him half a season to really get into his stride, but his hold-up play is second to none and has set up Cody Mcdonald on countless occasions. Without Bayo, we lack direction and are forced to revert away from the direct style of football that Hessenthaler has advocated. Chipping in with his fair share of goals, Bayo's all round team play has been in my eyes exceptional and I'm sure Cody can vouch for that especially. Due to these factors, I feel Akinfenwa is worthy of being in contention of being amongst the contenders.

Well there you have it, of course on the ballot paper there are more options than I myself have specified but in my opinion these are the only three of being worthy to receive the reward. Feel free to disagree and if there are any players you feel I unfairly left out then please state them in a comment. Thanks for once again reading my article's and I eagerly look forward to hearing your choice for player of the season for the 2010/2011 season.

2. HOADIE_BOI

HOADIE_BOI Well-Known Member

I think it is going to be a hard call between Bayo and Cody, But I go for Cody.

3. brb

brb Guest

Difficult choice and every one will have varied opinions, recent polls have shown a close run thing between Bayo & Cody, dependent on your outlook.

My preferred player is Barcham, however, due to injuries this season, I have to select a player that has been more consistent in the team.

Cody would appear the most obvious choice for many, certainly with the number of goals he has scored for us this season, without his services we certainly wouldn't be in our current league position. I hope we can retain Cody's services next season, although if I'm honest with myself it is probably unlikely from a financial situation, although it would be good for the Gills if a deal could be done with Norwich City and Cody.

Despite stating the above my player of the season goes to Bayo, everything tactically is based around the guy and without him it is anyone's guess what Cody's fortunes would have been.

Don't get me wrong Bayo has his weaknesses, I'm a little concerned of late that some teams have manipulated this, however, recently Cody looked completely lost as did the rest of the team, when Bayo had to leave the pitch for a brief while due to a head injury, just showing what an impact that Bayo has.

Cody is the goal machine and Bayo is his feeder, selflessly time and time again.

Bayo, my player of the season.

4. HOADIE_BOI

Yeah Barcham and King are my favourite two, But Barcham is not best this season due to all his injuries and the same for King.

5. robin_van_ fiberglass

robin_van_ fiberglass Active Member

Wow, Akinfenwa is ****ing massive!

6. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I think Bayo is certainly in there but overall Cody has such a high work rate, going back to defend, dropping into midfield to collect, yep Cody has to be my choice.

7. HOADIE_BOI

Yeah you know he is like a tank.

8. CHAZ67

CHAZ67 New Member

Sorry, for me it's Matt Lawrence as he has been the only consistent player all season!!!! We certainly missed him during the first half of last weeks game!!!! Think Bayo has been great for team morale. Cody - good - but bit disappointing the last few games :(

9. Gills_Steve

Gills_Steve Active Member

Bayo for me. Cody wouldn't have scored half his goals without Bayo there to hold it up and aupply him.

1. Bayo
    2. Cody
    3. Lawrence (would be higher but for a shaky start)

Others worthy of a mention:

Kevin Maher: You don't really notice how good Kev Maher has been until he's left out, and we concede truckloads of goals (e.g. Barnet). His defensive discipline is key in protecting the back 4, and it's no coincidence that our turn-around in form in November coincided with him having a run in the side for the first time this season.

Andy Barcham: Despite all his injury problems, Barch has once again been fantastic, when fit. We lack attacking edge withput him.

Curtis Weston: After a slow start, Curtus has done well, and chipped in with some important goals. We've missed him in attack in the past 3 games.

10. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Has to be Cody with Lawrance 2nd. Lets hope he can score the important goal on saturday like Jackson did.

11. HOADIE_BOI

You have summed the best ones all up together there mate.