1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Gibbo

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Delusional Full Stop, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

What is happening with this? Can we not just make him our starting left back?

2. daztoc

daztoc Well-Known Member

Pretty much this ^^

Everton are clearly looking to compete and appear to be willing to invest in talent to do that. NUFC on the other hand are still looking to get 'pound for pound value' or whatever ****e Charnley trotted out and are looking to survive, the cheapest way possible. As long as Ashley remains that philosophy will remain................... and as soon as Rafa realises that he is pissing in the wind with Ashley he will look to get the **** out too.

As much as I love NUFC if I felt it was best for my Son to play elsewhere then, in the current climate, I would encourage him to do so................ especially whilst we are looking increasingly like a yoyo club.

3. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Thinking it through it has to be the offer from Everton. Whatever it is we're promising clearly isn't very good, or at least isn't keeping up with the times. We're hardline, we won't change policy for individuals. However, Everton, Southampton and Spurs all worked out a few years ago that it was a worthwhile economy, paying more for 16/17 year olds than other clubs, as the benefit (Kane, Barkley, Shaw) massively outweighs the risk.

It's this kind of strategic thinking that completely eludes our illustrious owner (Sports Direct can be like Selfridges, he claims) and his pet monkey, Lee. Hence the continued relegation and inability to produce talent.

I imagine Rafa gets it, but it will take time and PL stability to bring us up to code.

4. daztoc

daztoc Well-Known Member

It will take a new owner to get us up to code.

5. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

But this is what I don't get - MA always said that he wants us to be self-sufficient and like Arsenal so we have a ready made LB and we are not tying him down. The argument would then be that we don't need to buy a LB as Dummett and Haidara/Lazaar will suffice until Gibson is ready thus saving us more than the £6M we could get for him now.

6. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

And thats where the argument falls apart.

7. RobEllious

RobEllious Well-Known Member

Seems pretty certain now, apparently hasn't been around the teams since May so this has been a long time coming. Guess this is just the reverse of what we did with Gosling (we ****ing lost out there)
    At least we've got 6 mill towards the kitty

8. Tasty Magpie

Tasty Magpie Well-Known Member

Apparently the figure is going to be in excess of £6million in total. He'll probably develop into a world class player if he goes. He would have only turned out average if he stayed under the expert tutelage of NUFC.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  9. RobEllious

Exactly. If I was a promising youth teamed I'd be looking at Carroll and Dummett and be wondering why those are the best we've produced in the last decade.
    To be fair all the way back to Chopra we've let the majority of our talent stagnate and, by the time they're leaving, they're falling down the leagues
    Is it the area? Is it our youth set up? I'd say the latter

10. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

Beardsley, Shearer, Gascoigne, Carrick suggest not - even Alan Thompson, Lee Clarke, Steve Howie, Michael Bridges are better than any in the last decade.

11. RobEllious

And some of that (clark, Howie and I think beardo and Gascoigne but its before my time) was when we barely had a youth set up, whilst the others had to go elsewhere. In the long run we keep too heavy a gap between youth and first team. With a relegation battle on our hands I don't expect that to change this season either

12. magpie290761

magpie290761 Well-Known Member

Does appear strange. Everton willing to pay so much for the lad yet we hardly see him as good enough to be a regular in the under 23/reserve team.

13. magpie290761

magpie290761 Well-Known Member

Wasn't his brother very highly rated and on the brink of the first team a couple of years back yet he seems to have vanished

14. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

U23 regular I think. Never seen him play though.

15. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Maybe we could just send them his brother, pocket the 6million and hope they don't notice. #pullinganameobi

magpie290761 likes this.
  16. Gordonthetoony

Gordonthetoony Well-Known Member

Just turned 20 I think. Regular U23 and decent but a good season on loan would do him the world of good.

17. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

Give it a few months and this may be called #pullingajacobmurphy

RobEllious and JakartaToon like this.
  18. RobEllious

Or does it send him down the line of vuckic, arma and Curtis good (where's he gone?)
    Just can't remember when us loaning a player out has been particularly successful, bar Armstrong coventry

Oh yeah, there was Lua Lua, who scored against us while on loan at Pompey, then said he never wanted to come back

19. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

Carroll, Krul, Lascelles, Darlow, Dummett. Just off the top of my head a group of players who we loaned out and came back stronger and more first-team ready.

20. RobEllious

Personally wouldn't class Lascelles and Darlow as that was a continuation with the same team they'd been at for years.
    Carroll was 1 goal in 11 apps. Krul, fair doos, but his last two loans were useless. I think on the whole I don't see our players becoming good because of loans, I think its in spite of them