1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Get a grip!!!

Discussion in 'Stoke City' started by Coke City, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Coke City

Coke City New Member

Seriously some people need to get a grip and stop seeing the transfer deadline in JANUARY as being the be all and end all...
    The long term memories of some fans need seriously looking at! Even the younger posters on here and the 606 etc. (I'm just about 28 myself) must remember how far we have come in such a short period. We under Pulis have been promoted to the Premier League and have comfortably stayed there, and this season it's looking like we will achieve that once again.

Yes we have sold Tuncay who was a very good player, but at the end of the day was a he a linchpin of the team who started week in week out? A player whom the entire team and it's style of play was based around? Yes maybe he could have been, but he wasn't.
    Would it have been nice to see a couple of signings to strengthen the squad and perhaps even change our style of play? Yes. But it hasn't happened so we must deal with it, and keep some bloody perspective...

Four or five years ago we never would have believed that we would signing, on loan or permanently the likes of Pennant and Carew, which is this "the worst transfer window ever" we have. We have, with the players who have gone out lightened the no doubt burgeoning wage bill, and recovered most of the money we spent to get Tuncay. We don't want to end up like the ever lengthening list of clubs who have overextended themselves financially to then find themselves relegated and then insolvent. We will have more money and bargaining power when it matters, at the start of our third Premiership season!

Just think back a few seasons when mid table obscurity in the Championship and the signings we made/players we let go seemed like the good life!!!

2. Sandor Clegane

Sandor Clegane 'The Hound'
    Forum Moderator

Well said sir, I got really fed up of all the people saying stuff like Pulis is clueless, doesn't know what he's doing, and he should be sacked. . .
    We are 10th in the list of 92 professional league teams, could any of you who seem to know so much better than our manager get a team that high?
    If Pulis, Coates and Scholes thought that the transfers that have been done would put our Premier league status at risk, they would not have let them go through.

3. TheRealPotterJub

I'm not paticulary bothered, but it would be nice to sign somebody. Yes, we signed some in the last transfer window, one of them hopeless and were already moving him on loan, I really wish we'd buy someone, anyone, well to a certain extent! ;)

4. Coke City

Coke City New Member

Exactly if we had made a late deadline day signing it would have meant spending a (overinflated) fortune to get someone of decent quality in. Or it would have been another "cheaper" signing, in which case the vast majority of people complaining about us signing no one would then have been complaining that we had made "another panic buy", who just adds to the "dead wood in the squad".

5. TheRealPotterJub

Tony Panic-Buy Pulis? <laugh>

6. Pottermouth 328

Pottermouth 328 Well-Known Member

Coke City
    I wasn't honestly expecting Tony Pulis to sign anyone yesterday, or just before then. What has really anoyed me is this. FINE,let Tuncay go but Tony Pulis did say only a few days ago. " I will not sell any of our player's until or unless I/we can replace them.

I know Tuncay wanted to leave, according to this evenings Sentinel. He and T.P. had a heart to heart chat last weekend? So, whilst I am sad that Tuncay has gone now. I'm angry with T.P. becasue IMO he or the board and or Mr Coates didn't try hard enough to sign a half decent player. I thought maybe, just maybe we could get someone like O'Hara, Reid from Sunderland and a few others who have moved during the last few days. I'm concerned becasue hand on heart it doesn't rule my head. I think we may stuggle to get over that 40+ pts mark with our current squad. IF T.P. insists on leaving out player's like Pennant and Wilson. He is far too negative and I only hope that he starts to put our our " Strongest Possible Team" from now onwards and not keep leaving "very good player's" like Pennant on our bench. THAT is what worries me, not so much the fact that we didn't sign anyone. Of course we got Pennant and laterCarew but, I don't think that's where we needed to add player's. Midfield is obvously a problem, has been for a season and a half now IMO anyway. So, I fully support Tony Pulis but was really sorry for the way Tuncay was treated. Be it his fault or TPs. For whatever reason, and I doubt we will ever find out why. It wasn't to be that Tuncay would suit us, or the other way around.

I know that Tuncay didn't suit Tony's style of football that's fair enough. But, If my boss had me working at midnight and then told me he didn't need me after a couple of hours, I think I would lose it too! Tell him what I thought of him re Tunny being subbed on more than one occasion.

If anyone wants to have a go a me fine. But, I've watched Stoke since the age of 6 every season I've had a season ticket bar one! Since I was 9yrs old. I'm now much nearer to 60 than 50 it's a long time and if I'm honest, which I try to be. YES, I am so glad to see Stoke here in the Premier League but, I also want to see us at least PASS the ball more. Surly, that isn't too much to ask for or is it? So, I know what it's like to see our team playing terrible football against lower league teams and I don't ever want us to go there again. I've also seen the fantastic team of the 70s and it was a top, top team. And, they played some brilliant football Coke City.

Sorry for the rant but, it's the way I feel. NOT just today but I've said it before. We HAVE a lot of very good player's at the club right now to knock it around, keep it on the deck more than we do. My frustration is more with the stubborn attitude that Tony Pulis seem's to have "inbred" into him and IF as Tony keeps telling us. " I want to take this club further" Surly we need to add, some more quality. And, T.P. needs to "let loose on some of those player's we do have" Let them be more expressive, kind of off the cuff football. It's always well, If we score first and then we stop them, we win. We never or hardly ever these days go at teams with the mentality of scoring more than one or two goals. It's sit back and defend a lead. That, to me is not taking the club to the next level Coke City. Tony did say, after 3yrs or seasons, we would look and say, we are established as a Premier League team and can look to improve the squad, take the club further! I WILL give him more time Coke City and let's just see what happens during the summer. For now at least, we do what we can, with what we have. Here's hoping that once again T.P. can say I've never been relegated and IMPROVE our PLAYING Style and add a few more faces. If not, I for one will want to know why he didn't.

I WILL always KTF and I WILL support Tony Pulis but patience is not one of my best assets and selling Tuncay was tough for me too take. Because, I think he was just starting to show both us the fans and more importantly, Tony Pulis that he wanted to play and I will always remember the smile on Tunny's face when he scored v Man Utd.

I HOPE that this goes someway to explaining just how I feel. And, why I'm so frustrated.

Now I think I need to go lie in a dark room, a padded one maybe. <laugh>

Pott's <ale>