1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gera to Stay

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

Surely Pantsil has to be shipped out? I could MAYBE see the sense in keeping Gera, but Pantsil? The guy was error prone under Hodgson, albeit nowhere near as much under Hughes, but he was still slightly unreliable. We have Hughes, Baird and Kelly who can play right back, all of which would fill me with more confidence than Pantsil.

2. Penguin

Penguin Member

I agree with the idea of giving Gera one more year (to re-prove himself if you like). He was great in Europe. We're in Europe again. Its got to make sense.

3. rocky57

rocky57 Member

Amazing comment bandy. Those of us who have watched Pantsil first hand have a much higher opinion. Twice the player Salcido is (& he got further in the World Cup!).

4. Cottagecravens

Pantsil is better than Salcido - but not by much. I actually think Pantsil is weak & makes too many mistakes, I also do not rate him getting up and down the wing and his crossing ability on the overlap.

Gera - I too would not keep for another year.

I just think we can do better than both these mentioned. However funds are tight and we have lots of potential games. We may not make Europa proper and we're all talking we've got another 21 games here.

5. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

Are you suggesting that I've never seen Pantsil play in person? And the comparison between Pantsil and Salcido is irrelevant as they play in different positions.

6. WhatDoesWoyWant?

Especially at scoring goals- Own Goals

7. roscafre

roscafre Active Member

Pansil stays ,pansil goes.We realy do have a team weakness in the fullback positions,it no good us
    saying he may make it or,lets try X Y Z, in that position,we need to invest in a quality full back.
    and then hopefully bring someone through in due course.

8. Gillyffc

Gillyffc Member

Dont really agree. He can be decent, never spectacular and can mess up. i remember seeing him "first hand" this season away at Blackpool. His five minutes of horro cost us 2 points and 2 goals! i like him though- great smile. But we need better.

9. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

As supporters we are very quick to like and dislike players as soon as they join the club.
    People become blinkered about certain players.
    Its gone on for ages at Fulham.

Some who I remember who got some real stick were Gary Brazil, another Barry Hayles, and more recently Seol Ki-Hyeon and Chris Baird. It was all about opinions.

I personally think that both Pantsil and Salcido are standard Premier players. They can have good games and they can have bad.

10. toshchamberlainsmate

toshchamberlainsmate Well-Known Member

I think Bairdy is ok @ RB - not great, but steady and improving through last season. Left back is the priority for me. Salcido's defensive positioning (and pace) always nake me nervous.

11. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Woah, didn't expect the Pantsil hate. I wouldn't be disappointed if he stayed, far from it.

12. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Sticking with Gera - he was tops pre season
    - his work rate is unquestionable
    - he captains his country; very well

Why he was dropped so early on is one of life's mysteries. Well mine anyway. To judge him on the odd 10 mins and say he was poor is unbelievable.

13. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

I've stated this on another thread but Paintsil had a World Cup hangover, he played a lot of football the season before last. Europe, Prem and a great WC run too. This definitely had a negative effect and also on Dempsey at the beginning of the season.
    I think everyone needs to give JP a break.

14. rocky57

rocky57 Member

Yep. All the world Cup players returned jaded including Dempsey.

15. Cottager58

Seems to be a fair bit of interest in JP. The latest is that Eriksson would like to take him to Leicester. Don't think John is ready to step down a league though, and not just to protect his 25k a week but because he believes he's good enough for the prem. So do I. Okay it's memories but I loved the way he would link up with Duff, Murphy and, yes, GERA.

16. Cottager58

Bang go the predictions. Reported that Zoltan has failed a fitness test at WBA (what was he doing there ?) and said to be out for 2 months.

17. WhatDoesWoyWant?

18. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

Goal.com is never the most reliable of sources, it's about as reliable as The Sun...

19. Cottager58

Well, it's confirmed in fulhaman's thread on free tranfers - the sad day has arrived and he's gone, gone, gone.

Just wanted to put this particular thread to rest and, on behalf of THE GERA APPRECIATION SOCIETEE, say a heartfelt thank you to a player who we can be proud of having as one of ours.

Sticking with threads, Captain opened one about Unsung Heroes. In years to come, if not now, Zoltan will surely be up there. Oh those Thursday nights in Eorope when we all believed.

Sorry, getting all choked up ....

20. Cottager58

Final Chapter

Gera was offered a new contract but at a 'substantial' cut in wages. As we know he refused and has now signed with the Baggies on a free. I promise you this is gospel. What I don't know is the other side of the story - why the reduced offer. One can speculate; injury worries? potentially limited appearances? Who knows but as often the case 'more than meets the eye'.

Pity though.