1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic General election ****posting

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Mind the gap!, Jun 7, 2017.

1. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Genuinely not trying to be rude this time JGF but I really don't understand most of that. Cutting a relevant part.

Your point about it making more money. I've read it before but I'm really not convinced it's true - especially considering we already had a low rate of tax. And secondly, the hate students get really annoys me. Yes, there are a section of students who are absolute arrogant pr*cks (probably raised by the middle-class Tory voters tbh), but for the most part, they just want to better themselves. Make themselves more educated, and ultimately that helps the country as a whole. Don't see an issue with that.

Mind the gap! likes this.
  2. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

not a richer than thou thread, I will bet there is a couple on here worth more than me! ... it is a figure of speech as an example at what you set out to do, set a target, an aim unless you are lucky or starve yourself then often the target falls short ..
    coincidentally in 1966 I did as I said put away £10 a month .. it didn't change till 1983 when I upped it to £15 plus a few increases over last 25 years, last payments were £100 per month due to circumstances it was worth just £67k .....

3. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Well done, its rewarding and quite a cool thing to do.

I see nothing there that necessitates a total restructuring of DLA payments, a review process that will cost hundreds of millions of pounds more than it saves, outsourcing to agencies that the Scots decided were not fit for purpose and creating a process that is dehumanising (see peoples experiences in thread) and has led to suffering and suicides (both facts).

Kudos to your grandfather.

In 1984 I worked at a hospital called St Georges in Wiltshire. People with disabilities were regularly placed in the hospital for life, life = they did not leave, there was no provision in society for them, their severe disabilities and complex needs meant they could not (ever) work, these people effectively lost their social lives, friends, contact with community ... That is what happens when society does not care enough, similar is happening again.

4. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

The last Labour government sent soldiers to Iraq on a blatant lie.. that led to thousands upon thousands of people subjected to suffering and death.. also morally wrong, possibly on a larger scale, how do you judge such things?

Like I said life experience.. thats where we form our opinions

Yours are different to mine.

5. Cliftonville

Jeromy Corbyn campaigned against the Iraq war and wanted Tony Blair to stand trial as a war criminal..

The Conservatives supported the war in both votes in parliament. More Labour MP's voted against than Tory MP's. Neither Party was blameless. The Conservatives continue to sanction the bombing of targets in Iraq ...

6. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Just hot of the press-luvly jubbly :emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0148-yes:

DUP will not accept anything LESS than hard Brexit, says former Arlene Foster aide

DEMOCRATIC UNIONIST PARTY leader Arlene Foster will not accept anything less than a ‘hard’ Brexit, according to her former adviser.

7. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

So you are suggesting a landslide labour government of 418 seats couldn't win a parliamentary vote and it was all the Tories fault? That would suggest that Labour just like today don't even accept half of their own policies, this was at a time of the most popular leader ever, who blatantly lied to parliament that there was a very real risk of WMD (That wasn't the tories fault was it and they would have made their decision based on that information!) Just like the 3 current labour MPs who voted a 'no confidence motion' in Jeremy Corbyn less than 12 months ago!

More changing of direction than a windsock.

Jeremy Corbyn would have voted against War if the Russians would have invaded us to the East, Vikings to the North and the Chinese to the West.. He would have said. lets chat to them, cos he's a gutless, terrorist sympathiser.

BTW, many labour MPs also voted for Bombing in Iraq etc!

Taken from The Guardian..

"The official government motion - written as neutrally as possible to maximise support for the prime minister - backed Mr Blair's "continuing efforts in the UN to disarm Iraq of its weapons of mass destruction".

That was carried by 434 votes to 124. Later analysis of the division lists showed that 59 Labour MPs voted against the government's main motion calling on Iraq to recognise its "final opportunity to comply" with its disarmament obligations.

The Labour rebels included the father of the house, Tam Dalyell, and former ministers Glenda Jackson, Peter Kilfoyle and Mark Fisher"

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  8. Cliftonville

I was pointing out that your parallel was not particularly even. If any party was not complicit, it was the Liberals. Labour and the Tories both backed the war. Both the Nu Labour and the Tory leadership were united... That was then.

The now.

Jeremy Corbyn the Leader of the Labour party voted against war in Iraq, Tom Watson the Deputy voted against, as well as other members of Labours front bench ... It is a different party.

9. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I think that from the above posts (and it's good to see people not descending into throwing insults) is that parties move on.

The Labour Party which attacked Iraq has evolved

The Tory party which supported them has also evolved.

Let's not forget the one party which opposed the Iraq war as policy - the Lib dems.

Surely, if the Iraq war was of any importance to anyone they would vote Lib dem?

10. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

As quoted by the express, how changed their mind three times over the past few days.

A hard Brexit will put a dampener on Ireland trading south to north so think about it Short Planks. That is not too hard to work out is it?

11. Mind the gap!

Mind the gap! Well-Known Member

Well I guess that the rejoin campaign will take us back to the Eu even if we have to use the euro under a matter of years of having to endure the consequences of the naive and bullish hard brexit