1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic General election ****posting

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Mind the gap!, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Yes 100% why he voted for them.
    JC won the young vote,not the older vote.

2. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

AMBULANCE CREW JUST LEFT .. was watching a programme, tories won queen OK with minority government and CORBYN says Terresa should stand down and the Tories should let us run the country .. just as I was taking a sip of tea a combination of acute stitch from excessive laughing, tea on the lung and the resulting burst blood vessel laid me low!
    Luckily the ambulance man was able to calm it all down, with the oxygen ready we said doesnt the thicko Know "THEY LOST"....

3. johngalleyfan2

WRONG there was sufficient OAPS lulled into thinking they would lose their heating allowance and pensions wouldn't rise to tip the scales. I know of 7 who simply changed a lifetime of non labour voting to vote simply because they were going to lose their heating allowance.. 3 now realise the error of their ways after the event ..

4. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Do you think a coalition including people who think gay people are disgusting and immoral, and has clear links to criminality, gangsterism and terrorism is fit to run the UK?

5. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Don't DUP want a soft Brexit? Won't that upset a few on here?

6. johngalleyfan2

I think now there is some hard thinking to be done.
    the PM went to the country to get vindication of "hers and the tory" Brexit stratedgy. because of the way our very unbalanced voting system is readily "rigged" she didn't get the seats but did get the general vote. 13m + not a majority voters vote on paper, mitigating circumstances, but a seats vote
    Even so DH is still insisting she stand aside and he form an even bigger minority government. Yesterday a student whom I come across every few months visits this area on a sporting weekend ...he was full of it he voted twice! how the **** ! from home and IN his uni city!!!"! is that possible? His bullish attitude also intimated at least 2 of his mates voted twice using a parents card as they were on holiday!
    there is a lot to be said for proportional representation, would need a lot of work but with modern day computers wouldn't be hard. vote in 650 areas as now but have 652 seats. 2 seats decided on vote share, the allotted additions being ambassadors to the other party members? maybe 1% = 1 seat?

7. johngalleyfan2

almost completed a labour from tory gain template and at least 7 so far are campus constituencies.... I will get rid of your fee's!

8. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

I cant remember my voting paper saying, tick the following box

Hard brexit

Soft brexit

No brexit..

????

I voted to leave because I wanted control of our borders, laws etc.

Soft brexit is just a snowflake term for not really leaving at all.. We couldn't get our own way so lets change the way we don't leave with a name change!

9. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

It's irrelevant what the voting paper says. DUP want a soft Brexit so they can carry on as they are with the Republic of Ireland.
    I've not whinged once that the Brexit vote didn't go my way. I just wanted it all or nothing which I think we won't be getting now.
    To me I think there was no need for this election and shows the arrogance of TM who I actually thought would do a good job.
    I personally think this election result has put us in a position regarding Brexit that was not needed. Surely she could of chosen a better party. Why couldn't she **** up the lib dem some more by promising them the world then giving them a toy globe like last time.

10. banksyisourhero

No its not Tone.. it totally relevant.

No such thing as 'soft brexit' .. Thats just brexit for snowflakes and is not in the concept if what the majority voted for!

The rest of your post I agree with entirely.. although The LDS wouldn't have got in to bed with the Tories.

11. johngalleyfan2

NI want to remain with a "friendly" border... for those that do not remember pre euro days, crossing from one country to another within western Europe was reasonably easy .. used to go to Austria and it was passport control at OOSTENDE ... French motorway link was non existent then so took ferry to Oostende .. a 5 hour crossing instead of 2 add almost 2 hours driving to get to same point in Belgium and by the time you added in French customs control and Belgium control not many minutes in it! On a night time journey once the lady sweeping up around the customs kiosk into Germany waved us through!!!
    I cannot see much difference to driving in EEC area 27 countries? so similar with NI /EIRE?
    SO THAT IS POSSIBLY the only hold DUP will have?

12. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

The lib dems saw themselves virtually wiped out as punishment for the last time they went to bed with the Tories so they would be utterly stupid to do so again.
    As for 'hard' or 'soft' Brexit - the only reason I voted remain was because I didn't know what Brexit would actually look like. A case of 'better the devil you know', rather then leaping blindfolded off a cliff because Nigel and Boris said it would be ok - it's a safe landing.
    I am quite pleased with the result actually; Corbyn can't bankrupt the country with his free money promises and the Tories have had their wings clipped to the extent that they will need opposition endorsement for everything they want to implement.
    I think there will be another general election before the end of the year - and possibly even another Brexit vote.

The whole thing is a shambles - and we have Cameron to thank for it - gambling on a referendum to fix an internal Tory issue then failing to campaign properly in the run-up (sounds familiar!!!!)

Bigjohnatyeo likes this.
  13. johngalleyfan2

THE LIB DEMS LOST THE PLOT... to UKIP voters as their "stand alone" manifesto did not endear the voters to what "they would do if they got in"
    As I understand it, we cant vote to stay in!! we are out, end of, we are in a period of negotiation less than 2 years to get what we can and pay as little as possible as a penalty ..bit like early payment of a loan, trade deals and a few other things are secondary considerations....

14. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Sorry JGF - Brexit can be reversed right to the end - but will need approval by all member states:
    http://uk.businessinsider.com/can-article-50-be-reversed-after-uk-general-election-2017-6?r=UK&IR=T

And
    http://uk.businessinsider.com/eu-brexit-resolution-article-50-can-be-revoked-2017-3?r=UK&IR=T

BCFCRob likes this.
  15. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Well I graduated from uni 4 years ago, I'm possibly still classed as a 'young' voter (no idea what the boundaries are to be honest), and my vote had everything to do with public services and the fact that I don't trust the Tories one bit, and nothing to do with student debt. Not everyone voted for them because of the university policies.

16. banksyisourhero

I wish he got in! All the kids could have 5 years of unsustainable promises being reneged on, and then paying for it for 15 years after that!

It is the only way they will learn, the rest of us who have been there before will suffer too but it seems it will be the only way!

19030277_1902685266648896_1292255052109283796_n.jpg

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  17. johngalleyfan2

What the students don't comprehend, and one of their "spokespeople was on the tv saying they have voted to "show the government they are wrong" [my loose term for what was stated /argued, ] is

TODAY a prospective student gets a place and gets a loan so /and there is a bit of money left for "other things"
    under DH's government less students will bother to get a place, there will be no "unrepayable loan" so they will have to find alternative funding
    imagine the scenario .... student passes all the entry qualifications to get into say Exeter uni, parents are average working classwith very little disposable income, hefty mortgage, and 1 or 2 other kids, maybe even 1 who has finished UNI and was self funded by the student loan... { all offspring should be treated fairly }
    "Hello Mr bank manager, I have just finished school got a place at Exeter uni and for the next 3 years will need £xxxxx "
    " well I can what is your income, and how much do you wish to pay back each month"
    " well I was rather hoping that you might lend me the money, and when I get a job, have a family, and survive a few financial crisis I might try and pay you back something"
    " best of luck with your uni course , sorry we cant help, maybe send in your parents / borrow from them or get a job for 3, 4 or a few years save up some cash, put off family and mortgage and do a mature students course when you are 30 something"

18. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

I think you misunderstand how it works JGF. First off the 'bit of money left for other things'. That's the maintenance loan. For every year of my uni time, my accommodation alone was more expensive than that. So no money left over for other things. Students will still be able to get that loan, it's tuition fees which are proposed to be taken down. So nothing changes in that respect. A student in my situation studying for 3 years would leave university with around £10k of debt from maintenance loans, which is still a hell of a lot better than the current £37k in total (approaching £50k if you do a Masters). I ended up leaving with about £21k under the old system which I have a good chance of paying back.

And banksy, you can speak from experience but your experience is from a very different Labour Government to the one which is about now. Labour were the only ones to fully cost their manifesto, and that same manifesto was signed off by ~100 economists all of whom are presumably more clued up on it than both you and I.

19. Mind the gap!

Mind the gap! Well-Known Member

My question with regards to those opposing the abolition of uni fees is this: would you charge fees for people to go to sixth form? Because there is not much difference between the both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. johngalleyfan2

? hmrc stated they would be £6bm short on 1 aspect, A programme with a top economist shot down other fundraising via alternative taxing, about the only thing that was agreed was that there would be one hell of a mess and heavy taxation to get us out of it by the government that followed!
    do bear in mind we are still paying off the mega debt handed over by Brown with that famous note in the drawer! had we done what is expected by DH more money here there and everywhere over the past 5-7 years we would be on our knee's begging Brussels to bail us out along with Greece, Spain and Italy ! We would most likely be paying more tax more Vat MORE ROAD TAX MORE INSURANCE TAX AND MORE those sneaky little backdoor taxes and pensioners would be worse off and inflation running at 9%