1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic General chat

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by crumble bungle, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Well done Bri, one of the best posts I've seen on here tbh.

I have to say I'm humbled by, and a little ashamed, of my previous attitude to various people and organisations.

Before I went to live in France I had a sarcastic disregard for the French Resistance.

Having lived there for 15 years my opinion totally changed ..... some truly incredible people.

Brian Storm likes this.
  2. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Lots of double agents, dodgy world. People often forget the Nazis didn't just invade France, they occupied it. Having to mix with them and pander to them through fear of their lives, gaining trust a stealing intel. Dangerous world in Nazi Occupied France. lots of pride swallowing for the greater good. Takes guts to blend with your enemy and keep your cover when all you want to do is spit on their corpse.

Smug in Boots likes this.
  3. Smug in Boots

There was an organisation that smuggled British airmen, who'd been shot down, out through Gibraltar, the Channel ports or other places.

For every airman saved they lost 2 operatives. If they were caught they were never just executed, always tortured first.

They knew all the risks but appreciated the value of the airmen in winning the war.

Brian Storm likes this.
  4. Brian Storm

Not just getting them out, often helping to get them in behind enemy lines too as well as the continued concealing jewish people, often hid in secret rooms in the very eateries German soldiers would use daily. Ballsy people despite what people say about the French.

5. Brian Storm

Hell on in the US. I'd put a thread up but it will be ruined so not going to bother.

Smug in Boots likes this.
  6. Smug in Boots

Sadly Bri, the board has been decimated by people who can't tolerate other people's opinions.

Brian Storm likes this.
  7. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

My two penneth (for what it's worth). I think there's an element of that but more so when people's opinions are challenged there's a lack of people who can actually debate and instead it ends up in a slanging match.

8. Smug in Boots

I couldn't agree more mate.

I've always made a point of sensibly debating with anyone if they're reasonable and polite.

Sadly there are those who don't want debate, they just want the board to reflect their interests and nothing else.

Threads are deliberately disrupted and arguments started for no good reason.

gelders pie and Jack TheLad like this.
  9. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

What a performance by a 4 by 100 metre relay team.. 3rd fastest run in history and no real superstar in the ranks..<party>

farnboromackem and Smug in Boots like this.
  10. Smug in Boots

11. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

12. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Chelsea are due to bid 25 mil for Drinkwater after having a 15 mil bid rejected. Just how high are they over there. 20 mil for Rodwell please Roman.

13. Brian Storm

It's more the 'for effect' crew attention seekers. The reason the whole site thinks we're a bunch of bigoted ****ers.Thread goes up, people are reasonable, then the crew turn up, have to say something disgusting and controversial, it attracts visitors who challenge them, it descends into chaos and the visitors leave taring us all with the same brush.

Unfortunately the once great off topic threads of this board are now just a thorn in the side for decent people.

14. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

We'll be bottom 5, the only question is whether we are bottom 3. We're likely to get stuffed today, Tottenham are the last team I'd want to face first game up.

It's easy to say in hindsight but for me the difference (and yes clearly I am biased but I didn't ever want Sunderland to go down either) is it feels as though whilst Rafa is preparing us for a relegation fight Moyes was simply preparing you for relegation. The outcomes may well be the same though and the scripts are remarkably similar - your boys had looked good in the Premiership at the end of the season before though.

15. Brian Storm

It's not really the newcastle fans take I'm interested in. I know you lot aren't going on like he's just raped the family pet or something.

Why is it differant? Virtually identical warnings. Both are/were stating fact as they saw, both teams ware/are going to be in a relegation fight. I don't how they can be view different without either being up one of their arses, or having something staunchly against. I think they're both **** managers personally, I don't think either of them said anything wrong, but I don't have any bias to say one was worse than the other or trying make out they're saying different things. The massage is the same.

If Sunderland fans don't have the basic self respect to stand by their own feelings on this which is, they would have jumped on anything he did because they disliked him AS A PERSON and as long as we lost he was getting it in the neck FOR ANYTHING. Then that's their bag. Just looking for some honesty but folk either avoid it or deny it. It's amazing how full of **** people are. It's just character assessing at the end of the day, nobody has the balls or self respect just to be honest <laugh>

Wev'e had warnings from MoN, PDC, Poyet, Dick, Sam and Moyes. You've had it off Rafa, all trying to prepare fans for the task ahead. PDC and Moyes were out of order according to the blinkard.

16. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Monday. My day off.

Like a daft ****. Doing 12-10 ovettime.. I need to give mesell a slap.

17. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Overtime
    The Bain of my life
    I sometimes left home at 05-30 and never returned til 19-30
    Long days but worth it at the end of the month.
    Ahhhh the memories

18. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Aye. Did 70hrs last week....mind im getting fitter..but no richer.

In one hand out the other.

Vincemac likes this.
  19. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

20. Brian Storm

I see Albert's on the turn again