1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

GALA coming to Priestfield

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by Old Timer in Cyprus, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Old Timer in Cyprus

Old Timer in Cyprus Active Member

We have got another CB at last. Bondz N'Gala experienced Lg 1 defender with several clubs. Who started out at West Ham yoof. Also has captained Barnet. Let the Gala begin.!

2. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

But not until next season as he's already played for 2 clubs this season.

Analogies with breweries would seem to be appropriate.

3. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Tim - did you mean somebody's coqued up ?............. and the Club are trying to say that FIFA never told them about the law change -testicles !

in the meantime we have to pay him - --- take the money from who was responsible for the clerical error.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    brb likes this.
  4. bristol407

bristol407 Well-Known Member

Farcical. Other clubs knew the rules but Gillingham didn't. And we have let the very capable Knott go!

5. Old Timer in Cyprus

What a choker. I understand some other clubs were caught out besides Gills though.

6. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Sadly I think this about sums our club up at the moment. The signings so far have left me incredibly underwhelmed and when I first saw we had signed him, I again was very unimpressed having previously seen him on trial in 2013 when he was pretty woeful then. To then see that we can't sign him because somebody hadn't done their homework properly really doesn't surprise me right now.

The feeling around the club seems very similar to the last couple of months of Taylor's tenure and Pennock has only had 3 games. Dear oh dear.

brb likes this.
  7. itstimupnorth

Yes, but according to KOL the regulation 'scuppered the deals'

It looks like the other clubs actually read the rule book or had decent solicitors working for them.

Always has it right (of course!!). We HAVE signed him, its just that we can't play him.

There was a similar (although more obtuse) problem when we signed Paddy (I think). It was something to do with needing international clearance because he'd played in Ireland, or still being under contract to an Irish side (?Dundalk) when we though we were getting a free agent. You'll realise I'm not on top of the facts on that one, but there was a problem and we were worried about losing points that we'd got in games where he had played at the beginning of last season. Think we got off with a slap on the wrist from the FA on that one.

This time with n'Gala we're in the clear with the FA as long as we don't play him.

But it seems that lessons haven't been learned. In the world of commerce someone would be out of a job by now.

According to KOL we've only signed him until the end of the season anyway. Reminds me a bit of a letter that was doing the rounds a few years ago

http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/any-answers/letter-to-times-about-grants-for-not-raising-pigs

We'll have agents flocking to our doors with players who can't play - that is actually can't be put on the field, rather than can't play, think we've got a few too many of those already.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    brb and alwaysright like this.
  8. alwaysright

TIM - nice one !
    I think that, if Mr. Scally thinks we are NOT going to get into a relegation battle this season, he might want to start rearing pigs that do fly ! ------- and I'm actually surprised that we are not receiving a 'set aside' grant for our pitch -- it has been fallow for a long time.

9. alwaysright

Well - is he or isn't he one of ours ?
    The report suggests NOT - it's about time that the Chairman ( I like to call him Billy 'not so' Smart ), told us what's going on with this fiasco.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38846532

10. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

Yes, but we can still sign injured players so at least that's ok..... ;-)

11. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

From what I gather, because he is not legally allowed to be registered and played, he is not able to fulfill the terms of his contract. As a result this makes his contract null and void and can be terminated and thus not an employee of Gillingham FC.

The search for another 'legal' defender continues.

12. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Or not according to Ade.
    http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/no-funds-for-further-faces-120086/

13. brb

brb CR250

14. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

15. itstimupnorth

I actually feel a bit sorry for N'Gala if he hasn't got a contract at GFC, and of course can't play in the top 5 leagues in UK, and probably at a similar level in any European league (as it was a UEFA ruling that caused the problem) other than at Barnet or Eastleigh.

So if he hasn't got a contract at GFC he's got no work and will have to move to a low (poorly paid) league or outside Europe.

All the club have said is that he "will not be able to play for Gillingham FC". I think we can assume that at the time of the statement - 6pm last Thursday - N'Gala was still on Gillingham's books. However as the club also said they wouldn't be making any further comment we have no idea whether that is still the case.

Are player registrations at the FA publicly available? That might throw a bit of light on the situation.

brb likes this.
  16. alwaysright

Tim,
    Normally I would say that, as is other businesses, the process of 'due diligence' would negate any [offer of] contract - therefore, I would expect GFC to withdraw the offer of a contract to Mr.N'Gala without financial implication - BUT

This is football- or rather FIFA - where anything is possible -- including the deprivation of an individual to be able to look for employment with a different employer. HOW can that be fair ? Who else isn't allowed to look for a job with a different company - regardless of how many times I want to change my employer ?

Whilst I may be a little 'old school' - and would love to see a bit more loyalty from players by staying 'longer' at clubs who have given them a 'break', in the modern World money is King ! I don't blame players for wanting to improve their employment status by moving to bigger clubs.

The 'rule' by FIFA is an infringement of civil liberty for all footballers. The rule needs to be revoked --------- still - things could be worse - we could have Donald Trump in charge of FIFA - shall we ask our Women's FA for their thoughts ?

patchy70 and brb like this.
  17. itstimupnorth

I absolutely agree with all your comments about the ability of an organisation to prevent someone pursuing their trade or profession at the highest possible level, but at the same time we must recognise that sports players in general need to be treated somewhat differently. Indeed they are in many cases, but we have to ask whether it is fair that players who play in say the top 2 divisions are, in cases such as this, treated the same as those in the next 3 divisions.

Of course there is a reason for this, arguably to provide players themselves a level of stability. If a player knows he has played for one club in a season then he should have some responsibility for ensuring that the next club he signs for will actually employ him for the rest of the season. In this case, obviously, neither the player nor the club were aware of the regulations, and it could be argued that the FA or PFA were remiss in not taking steps to ensure that both players and clubs were aware of the change.

As far as N'Gala is concerned, my understanding is that the contract was actually signed. Getting out of a signed contract is somewhat more complicated than getting out of a pre contract agreement, although as we don't know the terms of whatever was signed we don't know how complicated any process might be, or indeed might have been.

I'm sure more details will leak out eventually, but in the meantime we still need another centre back. Don't care what is said by the club, I bet they're looking at the list of out of contact players, hopefully those who haven't played this season for 2 clubs in the top 5 divisions (or tiers as they are now being called.... but that's a rant for another day)

brb likes this.
  18. Old Timer in Cyprus

Bondz has signed for Dover til end of season. He has not held us to paying his wages as per contract. A good lad!

19. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Now it seems that Gala has signed for Dover. How ?????