1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

further to the Wobby and other things.

Discussion in 'Watford' started by njhorn, Mar 3, 2011.

1. njhorn

njhorn New Member

I sorely miss Mr Affleck and his reporting. Remember the Aidy days when he was considered the worst enemy of the club... well, I was always an avid reader of his articles. Whether you agreed or disagreed with his match reports, they were incisive
    analyses, controversial at times but thought-provoking - something which the current Wobby is incapable of producing. Not to mention their lack of basic writing skills.

And he knew how to dig around, which every good reporter worth his salt should be able to do. How much of what he was lambasted for turned out to be true! I often
    think of him at present and what he would have uncovered with regard to the current
    situation.

Speaking of which, we are no longer flooded with phone calls from the original California
    financial agent trying to buy our shares as we were some weeks ago, It has been a New York group representing who knows whom this past week who has called every night desperate for our lowly few shares, claiming their mystery client has 43% of our club and wants 8% more. I will keep mine, thanks very much.

COYH and Malky - he's doing a great job considering the small squad, the injuries, the financial pressures, the Ricks of the Luton alternative universe etc etc.

2. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Personally, I didn't have much time for him. To my mind, he went beyond the remit of a sports reporter on a local weekly in his attempts to be the archetypal investigative journalist. I found his reporting style to be too negative towards the club and its personnel - and could scarcely believe that 3CR kept inviting him to be guest commentator given the sneering disdain I kept hearing from him.

Other than that, I agree with you - Malky is doing a great job <ok>

Oh, and by the way - welcome :emoticon-0100-smile

3. Roger68

Roger68 Active Member

No--I do not miss Kevin at all. He was drawn into an antagonistic relationship with the club, (Simpson) which got in the way of his reporters role. His big scare story about the club being on the brink of administration and having to have a fire sale of leading players was not correct. Actually he did not do much "investigative" journalism-- rather he seemed to be used by parties inside the club to place stories that would help them in their internal struggles. Compared to OP he was a lightweight. I think he subsequently became ill did he not, which is sad to hear, but that period was not a good one in the relations between Watford F.C and the WO. A community club should have good (but not deferential) relations with the main community paper, and we have that now--but the WO is still slow on this takeover story.

4. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

Still would like it be like when Ollie worked there.

5. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Ollie was the best - not an act that has yet been followed. I thought Affleck was OK - he was not so wide of the mark with the Administration article and who knows how much closer we might have been than was ever let on.

Look at it now though - there is no news at all - two weeks ago the Watty Obs published a bland interview with Bazini - no probing or anything and since - deathly silence - have they been gagged or are they just lazy - because somewhere there is a story

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Have you ever played the game of who you would like to invite to dinner (from people you don't know that is) ?

Ollie Phillips would be one of my choices - i bet he would have some excellent stories to tell

7. Norwayhornet

GT would be another

8. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I could get Elton too to make up a Bridge four :)

9. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just what is happening to the relationship between the club and WO? The violence that we know happened Saturday does not get reported until Monday, although according to one comment there wasn't any.

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/ne..._seats_as_coins_thrown_during_Millwall_match/

This article is done by a news reporter, not someone from the sports department who was at the ground. Then as the report comes in the news section, why is there no mention of the trouble outside the ground.

The sports team have not written anything of note since the "interview". Have they been told to keep quiet?

10. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

A very good morning to you Monsieur OFH. I am about to brave the cold - zero last night - under a clear blue sky to feed the animals

Have to agree about the Watty Obs - they should be ashamed of themselves - the standard of reporting on football at least is approaching an all time low - they must be under some sort of influence from the club

11. Norwayhornet

Two options the journos are lazy and cant be arsed to do anything or there is some sort of gagging order on them from the club! either way not ideal for the fan that wants to know whats happening at his club!!

12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I am moved enough to write in to the paper and complain :) - and tell them to bring back Ollie

13. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I doubt that he would want to leave his local bar, good food and weather. It hit 21.5C this afternoon.

14. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Blimey - I thought we had done well at 13

15. Norwayhornet

16. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I do not twitter, others may disagree. :( What I did notice on the WO owl thingy though, was that a letter had been sent to the editor by a former senior police officer about the trouble during and after the Millwall game. It seems that the letter was scathing about the manner in which the thugs had been treated, simply moving them on rather than arresting them. You get little info from the sound bites of this system, but surely there had to be something there that a local paper would investigate and report on. Still however the only thing that comes out of the WO regarding WFC is an interview or match report.

17. Norwayhornet

Talking of Twitter DG took a good photo of lloydy and posted it on fb<laugh>

18. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I don't twit or wahtever it is called either - I have a facebook account but only for family as a way of sharing photos :)