1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Fulham reject bid for defender Salcido

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by WhatDoesWoyWant?, Jun 7, 2011.

1. WhatDoesWoyWant?

What are we playing at??

Mexican club Monterrey have had a bid rejected for Fulham defender Carlos Salcido.

Monterrey have now made a bid to take Salcido back to his homeland but Fulham have turned down the offer.

A Monterrey statement read: "We inform you that we have received a response from Fulham Football Club of England, declining our offer to sign Carlos Salcido."

I wonder if Jol will want to keep him now and use him next season.

Seems mad to me

2. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

1. I imagine Monterrey thought they could bag a bargain, whereas we are not actually that desperate to ship him out (regardless of what some of you think).
    2. Salcido is our only recognised left back. Selling him without a replacement already in place 3 weeks before our season starts is madness.
    3. Salcido might actually be an asset in the Europa League, especially in the early rounds. We can sell him in August once we are through or out(and he'll be knackered!)

3. WhatDoesWoyWant?

So it was more likely that they offered a lot less than we were willing to sell for?

He cost us £1.6m right? That was fairly cheap...

4. rocky57

rocky57 Member

I thought it was more than that, but I'm probably wrong. I doubt that Jol has had anything to do with this thus far.

5. FFC_Madness

FFC_Madness Well-Known Member

It is probably the interim manager MH... LOL

6. Cottagecravens

id take a complete loss on the 1.6m. Ok yes he could play in the game 30th June but then he's cup tied. Seriously who in their right mind other than his home town club are going to buy him. Honestly.

7. FFC_Madness

FFC_Madness Well-Known Member

The guy is pretty average. Championship and that's if again...

What about Wayne Bridge to replace him is he drops he wages significantly?? (60% and more)

8. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

If he wants to go home to Mexico, then I doubt that Monterrey (or any other Mexican club) are going to be put off by him being cup-tied in European competition. This may well be haggling for the best deal possible, or it may be covering ourselves until we go out and sign a replacement.

And with a new manager in place, I'm even prepared to be super-optimistic and hold out the possibility of Salcido coming good - after all, after Chris Baird's first season, none of us would have believed there was any possibility of him making any kind of positive input in a Fulham shirt.

9. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

Bridge was woeful in a West Ham defence, so he could have easily done ok and be made to have looked much better than he was, due to the tat that surrounded him, but no, awful.

10. Cottagecravens

I was being sarcastic over the cup tied bit. Baird was not as bad as Salcido. Baird was also playing out of postion. Salcido is an out an out LB. Let's not make excuses. He's the worst LB i've seen at Fulham in a long time.

11. Captain Morgan

Sorry CC, I missed the sarcasm. Even if we want rid of him, there's no point in us not getting the best deal possible. And even with his poor performances to date, he should be good enough for the early rounds of the Europa.

12. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

True Salcido has not fulfilled the promise he showed in his first few games, but it's always the same for these South American players who are playing in England for the first time. Think of how many Argentine's and Brazillians despite their talents failed to adapt at first. Not everyone can be Hernandez.

13. Captain Morgan

I remember reading somewhere that Salcido had a poor first season when he joined PSV, and then improved a lot. Jol spent most of that time in England and Germany, rather than in Holland (though he was manager at Ajax for Salcido's last season at PSV), but if he was keeping an eye on his home league, he may well remember that and be willing to give Salcido a chance to improve this year.

14. rocky57

rocky57 Member

I'm glad at your optimism commodore. However, he's not going to suddenly develop pace is he. I just have never been able to understand how an experienced international defender can have such poor positional play.

15. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

I don't think Salcido is that bad - not any more. He made some horrendous mistakes last fall, but definately improved. After January, I don't think he was any worse than Baird.

His problem is pace ... there's no way to fix that, and that's one of the things missing from our back four. Neither Baird nor Salicido have pace enough to get back quickly on a counter attack, as Liverpool so vividly showed us.