1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Frings in Leeds talks and Snodgrass valued at £8m

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Jerel Ifil, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Jerel Ifil

Jerel Ifil Well-Known Member

According to the Sunday Times:

Frings would be amazing but I can only imagine this reaction when we hear his wage demands: :shocked:

2. Simon21-LUFC

Simon21-LUFC Well-Known Member

He would be brilliant if he stayed fit and could play almost a full season, we'll see.

3. Best Fans

Best Fans Active Member

That would be a great signing, but yeah his fitness and wage demands would obviously be a stumbling block. Snodgrass for £8million? If this is true, then well done to the club for not letting our best players go cheaply.

4. leeds60

leeds60 Well-Known Member

fring is almost 35at this rate we will end up as Leeds pensioners

5. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Snodgrass is a decent player, but he's never worth £8m.

And Frings May be 34 but he'll still command a far higher wage than Smurfy will sanction.

6. Roy lions

Roy lions Member

The way he played down the den I would never of thought you could value him at 8 million I'd say around 2 million but if your club feel they can get 8 then it's good business maybe it could help papa smurf sort his tax bill out<doh>

7. Best Fans

Best Fans Active Member

He was playing with a back injury for the last 3 months of the season, and we've already turned down an offer of £3.5million so obviously he's worth more than £2million. You can't keep hold of your best player but we can keep hold of ours.

8. Que Somma Somma

Frings is well to old, this is getting out of hand now. Why cant we sign up and comming 24 year olds that are bang in form

9. Best Fans

Best Fans Active Member

A bit of experience wouldn't go amiss in the centre of midfield. Obviously a player like Frings is a quality player, and even at 34, he'd still be a good signing. Anyway, a 24 year old on form would cost quite a bit more, and you might not get the same input.

10. Jerel Ifil

Was Gordon Strachan too old?

11. Monster-Leeds - I-Ate-A-Bee

i hope this is true! frings is quality, solid player with bags of experience. can play centre back aswell!

But i doubt it's true!

12. Monster-Leeds - I-Ate-A-Bee

Your an idiot man, with no idea what your talking about?? Cant you go somewhere else

13. Spanish white

Spanish white Active Member

that sounds a little harsh :)

14. Que Somma Somma

FDrings is bloody ancient and will cost so much in wages. Why cant we sign players like Jamie O Hara, or Kevin Nolan, some ambition for change. Players that are experienced but still have years to go. Smith is too old, Woodgate has played once in the last 10 years, now Frings. The amount of money crook Bates charges fans, x that by 25,000 and all the tv revanue, we SHOULD be able to afford wages and decent players.

and no I want go elsewhere, u need someone with wisdom on here cos u hant got any

15. Jerel Ifil

I agree we could do with young players like Cork and Gunnarsson who I keep mentioning all the time. However leaven that with some international experience from a wise old head like Zenden, Koumas or Frings and it's a complete midfield set. I attribute some of last season's failure to the lack of leaders we had on the pitch. You aren't going to get that leadership mentality from only buying young players - I agree that we should generally look to recruit young but it's a naive approach if that's all you do.

Because those players are in their prime which means the worthwhile ones will be in the Premiership. O'Hara will certainly stay in the top division and Nolan wouldn't have moved to any club other than West Ham where Allardyce is. It would be nice to see a couple of players of that age, but realistically who is there?

You were complaining about paying too much for wages earlier, now you're implying we could spend more.

Frings would be a good thing for Leeds United. If there's a 25-30 year old version of him out there who'll come to us, by all means let's sign him. But I don't think there is. He's still got two years in him yet, he played 32 Bundesliga games of a possible 34 last season (edit: 39 in all competitions throughout the season), that shows how fit he is in a very physically demanding division. What harm would come of this transfer? In every major era, Leeds United have had a general who's led them out of the second division mire - John Charles, Bobby Collins, Gordon Strachan. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but a signing like Frings could provide that sort of figure.

16. Leeds United Calypso

I think we don't need to focus purely on getting to the premier league, more building a team that when we get promoted will be strong enough to stay in that division, a 34 year old may provide a boost for next season but if we get promoted then we would have to replace him. I say we should have young players to try and grow into premiership level players, such as Snodgrass

17. Simon21-LUFC

Simon21-LUFC Well-Known Member

Despite what many like to insist we had a very young team last season and I think we lacked a real leader. Hopefully Kisnorbo coming back will play a part but if we could get, say, Cork, Smith and Frings they would provide a fantastic mix of youth and experience in CM when you factor Howson in.

18. Radebeens

Radebeens Member

Eddie Lewis

19. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

At 34 I can't see Frings wanting to play outside of Germany now, but I can't believe some of you wouldn't want him, he may be coming to the end of his career, but he's in a different class to the rest of your squad.

It's somewhat academic, as this story's complete bollocks, if he did want to play in England, he'd have Premier League options.

And Nolan ffs, he cost the Hammers £4m and he's getting £50k a week. <doh>

20. BoggersMOT

BoggersMOT Well-Known Member

Snoddy for £8m would be fair & confirm that we have moved on from the dark days of the fire sale.

Frings might be 34. But he brings shed loads of experience. We need to get out of the CL this season. So anyone we bring in has to be able to help us achieve that.