1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Daily Racing Thread Friday 21st. April 2017

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by attivo, Apr 20, 2017.

1. attivo

attivo Well-Known Member

Friday's Meetings

Fontwell

N/H 7 Races 1:50-5:05p.m.
    Newbury
    Flat 8 Races 2:00-5:40p.m.
    Ayr
    N/H 7 Races 2:10-5:25p.m.
    Southwell(E)
    N/H 7 Races 4:45-7:45p.m.
    Bath(E)
    Flat 7 Races 4:55-8:00p.m.
    Kilbeggan(E)
    N/H 7 Races 5:00-8:05p.m.
    Dundalk(E)
    A/W 8 Races 5:20-8:55p.m.

Racecards

At The Races
    Racing Post Bloodstock
    Sporting Life

Good Luck <ok>

2. stick

stick Bumper King

JERSEY BEAN 6/1 Fontwell 5:10
    From a decent line and this doesn't look the strongest of bumpers

SaveTheHumans likes this.
  3. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Akavit 9/1 - 5:30 Bath

Big positive for front runners over a trip like this at Bath and Akavit is the only pace angle now Mr Magill is out. This horse is a course winner who is dropping to a very good mark, and this race is perfect for him.

So it's Richard Kingscote to do the fractions from the front and lead them a merry dance.

4. woolcombe-folly007

woolcombe-folly007 Well-Known Member

From a breeding perspective tomorrow I cannot wait to see what Mori does in the fillies maiden at Newbury she is by Frankel out of Midday! Some truly excellent blood in her hope she monsters the field! No excuses

5. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

The NH season still clinging on. A Raymond Anderson Green double for me today at Ayr. Forest Des Aigles and Full Jack. Good luck everyone.

6. mick the jolly sailor

mick the jolly sailor Well-Known Member

Stick, Am I right in saying you've put the Bean up here before and it was a non runner?
    On it anyway!
    Also, does my failing memory serve me right, and the good Doctor was having a go with Vosannee in the Scottish Champion Hurdle tomorrow?
    Good look with the Bean, he might be getting named Jersey Royal by 5.15 tonight!!!

7. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

There are some choicely bred Fillies on Show at Newbury today, which makes it fascinating to watch:
    NAFAAYES - a daughter of Sea the Stars out of an unraced full-sister to Haafhd lines up alongside Mori

Another Frankel Filly, OMNEEYA, makes her debut in the 5.10. She's out of a South African G1 winner who is herself a half-sister to the dam of Breeders Cup Mile winner Karakontie.

Also in the 5.10 is MULHIMATTY a daughter of Invincible Spirit out of a Stakes-placed half-sister to Muhaarar.

8. mick the jolly sailor

mick the jolly sailor Well-Known Member

Talking of Sherwood horses....
    I don't think The Fresh Prince is without a chance in the 3.30 on the same card as the Bean.
    Stayed on in very eye catching fashion at Sandown lto and seems to be improving.
    Sherwood has a line on Alcala through Morning Reggie which beat Alcala on the same Sandown card.
    My only concern would be the ground. These Robin De Pres seem to need some cut, but at 13/2 I'll take a chance he gets away with it.

9. stick

stick Bumper King

The plan we were told was that they fancied him for the Coral Cup before going for the Scottish Champion Hurdle. We know he wasn't right for the Cheltenham race but they ran him and again at Aintree which has got a few pounds off his back.

10. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

Hello, troops. If my regular readers will allow it I’ll don my kilt (seriously, though, who are those Scottish chaps trying to kid) and head off to Ayr.

SILENT STEPS (5.25 Ayr) – what a lovely name for a mare by the way. This one showed very little in 4 novice events but stepped into handicap company and upped to 3 miles for the first time, on her last run, the old girl displayed much improvement to finish runner-up (27 lengths clear of the 3rd) at Kempton earlier in the month. Upped 4 lbs for that effort Silent Steps still looks attractively perched on 106 and I think she can open her account with a victory here. Runs again at 24 furlongs, a trip that obviously suits, and will be receiving oodles of weight from many of her opponents. She represents Mr Henderson, the fourm’s favourite trainer, who is in outstanding form (when is he not) as the old boy has had 9 winners in the past week at a strike rate of 41%. Recommended.

Good luck, crew.

11. stick

stick Bumper King

Barney, what do you make of Hendersons runners in the Scottish Grand National tomorrow. Some very likely well profiled types he is sending up. Enthusiasm for them though surely has to be tempered by the old boys shocking record in the race what.

12. stick

stick Bumper King

DESERT EXPLORER 7/1 Bath 7:30
    This big sort looked like the run would do him good at Kempton but he acquitted himself really well to be a strong finishing third. Not overly sure that Bath will suit him but given normal improvement he looks sure to go very close.

13. Sir Barney Chuckles

Yes, the forum’s favourite trainer has never won a Grand, Scottish, Irish or Welsh National! You could make a case for all 3 but I suppose Premier Bond is the most likely – although the big question is how much has Cheltenham left its mark??? In fact I always think it somewhat risky backing almost any horse in the NH sphere, at this stage in the campaign, as you’ve no idea (nor do connections) if they’ve gone ‘over the top’ for the term. If asked to nominate one, in the heat, I’d go for Southfield Royale. Woeful since Cheltenham ’16 but his run that day makes him look, off 141, look very, and I do mean very, well in.

Today’s quiz quest, pilgrims. Which horse running today shares its name with a ‘James Bond’ character??? Clue – it’s not Pongo Twistelton (a pity really as that’s a corking name for a Bond villain!).

14. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

Got to give Superioritycomplex in the unraced fillies maiden at Newbury.

15. Bib Fortuna's Maw

Bib Fortuna's Maw Well-Known Member

Dr Goodhead.

When she says her name to Bond (Moore), he does probably the archetypal Moore eyebrow raise and goes "Well...of course you are"

One of my favourite Bond girls - like, top 3 (Famke Janssen still probably wins, though)

please log in to view this image

Sir Barney Chuckles likes this.
  16. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

Few fancies today:

3:15 Ayr - Glingerside 8/1
    5:15 Southwell - Thoonavolla 11/2
    6:05 Kilbeggan - My Betty 8/1
    7:05 Kilbeggan - Isabella Liberty 15/8
    7:15 Southwell - Sunnytahliateigan 9/4

Also done De Sousa's at Newbury in an ew lucky 31. I really fancy Temple Church that he's on in the 3:05 and he's riding a couple for Roger Varian who had a cracking 4 winners and a 2nd from 5 runners yesterday so thought i might aswell chuck his other two in at big prices aswell

17. Sir Barney Chuckles

Correct, Sir. Dr Goodhead (5.40 Newbury).

Given my covert work on behalf of the Government many people are convinced that James Bond is based on me but as I’ve signed the ‘Official Secrets Act’ I couldn’t possibly comment. Solitaire the stand out for me in that category though. Although old girl Mayday was quite a force (the Bond villain in that edition also ran this week incidentally - Max Zorin).

Old boy Sir Roger, who also starred in the ‘Post Office’ ads in later years, was unsurpassable when it came to playing Bond.

Another great response was to the name Christmas Jones. You spend the entire film pondering ‘why’s she called that???’. And in the final scene Pierce Brosnan finally delivers the punchline! Had Barbara Windsor been playing the part, incidentally, I’m sure her response, to the punchline, would have been ‘oooooooooooooooooooooooh saucy!’.

Bib Fortuna's Maw likes this.
  18. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

A good week for Bond villain runners with Mr Scaramanga entered in the Greenham tomorrow.

Fav scene for me was in "Never Say Never Again" where Fatima (Barbara Carrera) wants old boy Connnery to admit she was the best woman he ever slep with, to which he replies "Well, there was this girl in Philadelphia" <laugh>

Bib Fortuna's Maw likes this.
  19. Sir Barney Chuckles

Auric Goldfinger and Dr Julius No are other recent runners. Although I must confess I never really viewed Goldfinger as a villain. A bit of a rogue was perhaps a better description.

That Scaramanga edition was almost up there with the ‘Carry On’ films when it comes to campness! Brilliant though.

20. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member