1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Forward Line ?

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by SussexBlueBird, May 31, 2011.

1. CityAce

CityAce Member

ummmmm, where have I said this? I have simply stated we signed higher profile players than this last year regardless of them being on loan or not which makes your 'priceless' remarks a bit futile.

2. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

You now need to realise. You are a club with no money. Start looking in the direction of the conference and league 2 for your next signings not the premiership or the championship. goodluck. i am sure you will find one somewhere.

3. CityAce

CityAce Member

Chnage the record, new investors came in last year and funded the wages of high profile players and guess what....the Malaysans are still here. Your clutching at straws here, pathetic WUM attempt.

4. trundles left foot

so what investment did they make. they paid about a tenth of bellamys wages. well done. you have no players and no money. Oh sorry perhaps you can have a side full of loan players again. who have no passion for the club they play for and you will end up in the exact same position next year. believe it or not am being genuine about signing from lower leagues, because there are players good enough there and at a reasonable price. Take Roger Johnson for one. you dont always have to look up to improve.

5. CityAce

CityAce Member

Craig Bellamy cost us £22,500 a week and Olifinjana not far off that and Koumas is on a packet as well.

Kindly explain how we have no money then seeing as you know so much about our finances, perhaps we should go into admin (twice) and we could be in a better position.

6. trundles left foot

i take it you must be on the board then or bellamys father as you know exactly what cardiff were paying. you have no idea. but all that investment clealy worked for you. no promotion again and now no players left. life is so good sometimes. enjoy league 1.

7. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Trundle

We might not know everything but certainly you do not either unless you believe all you read on another message board (AAMB for instance). However, as we are a bit closer to our club than you I think we probably have more knowledge of the situation. Some of the figures shown were quoted by the club in general terms some months ago. We might not be entirely correct but we are in the ballpark.

As for any signings, as I said earlier it is all speculation at present as the club do not want any leaks until players are signed - to avoid other sharks jumping in and taking players from under our noses as has happened on several occasions in recent years. No signings will be made until the new manager is appointed.

Nevertheless it is only natural for fans to speculate on who will be arriving and the first thing anyone does is look at the list of those who might be available. Haven't Swans fans done the same as Buck has said he has to bolster his squad?

Who do you think will be leaving the Liberty as he has also said that there will be no sentimentality if existing players are not considered up to the standard he will now require? I ask that out of interest and not to start any sort of rumours about us having your cast offs.

8. Goodland

Goodland Member

Swansea fan in peace - I don't really think there's any need to wind up. Admittedly I want to see my team doing better but that does not have to be to the detriment of our rivals - and I also always have an eye on Welsh football's benefit. Besides the derby games were superb last year and I think the season will be the worse for not having them. My preference would be both of us in the Prem.

This could be a really interesting time for Cardiff - out with the old and in with the new. Of all the people mentioned for manager I have a sneaking suspicion that you'll end up with Bellamy (as long as they can sort it out with Man City). If so then I doubt there will be that much of a problem drawing players. I do think from what the papers have said (as far as we can trust their info) that there will be a cut budget, but most teams are facing that and there really isn't a need to be throwing £22.k at players anyway when you could be finding players chomping at the bit to play for Cardiff for half of that. That would prob have been the desired shift in focus anyway - especially if it is Bellamy who takes over as he has said plenty of times about building a club ethos etc which all sounds promising as he seems to have a clear vision for the club beyond the undoubted passion (his rumoured willingness to take the hit in the pocket this year is heartening in a time when most players seem to take all that they can).

I would suggest that he would be most intent on creating balance in the squad and the first eleven. I think once that is achieved then the pressure will come off the defence and you'll prob find that a lot of the players you could get rid of as a knee-jerk reaction would grow in stature. Hence why Gerrard goes off on loan and becomes a player of the season for his new club. I always felt DJ's tendency to name and shame only built pressure and hit morale. There was no need to do what he did to Matthews - he was clearly a good player.

If Bellamy returns - would suggest a stiker alongside him then picking up a few utility players - not necessarily a bad thing but overloading on players who can only play as target men meant that your best player got shifted onto the wing. Craig Makail-Smith would be superb for bellamy to work off or Marlon King and Nathan Ellington are available on a free transfers - as in Earnshaw - how good would it be to have two old boys? Still, I would get two out of those and then look at getting a couple of quick-fire wingers in. Lee Bowyer is available on a free too and would certainly bring organisation and bite to midfield. Abdoulaye Faye has been release too - so too good organisers and tough competitors to protect the defence - a creative player and some wingers and away you go.

Jody Cradock is available on a free and would do a good job in defence as would Claude Davis. A few old heads like that would build a spring-board for youth team players to step in.

so...

Bellamy Earnshaw
    D.Rose (loan from Spurs) Faye Bowyer Whittingham
    Blake Craddock Hudson McNaughton
    Marshall

There's a lot of talent out there and, with Bellamy in place, Cardiff would be a big draw.

Anyway, good luck for next season.

9. BluefromBridgend

Hi Goodland

Nice to see a good, thought out post from a Swans fan - unlike some of the other tripe we get from down west.

I see where you are coming from but in reality Bellers is only an option as a player not on the managerial side - he has no experience and we need some of that to steady the club plus new thinking and ideas. However, if all can be agreed there is no reason why Bellers could not start down the coaching route with us as an assistant to whoever the main man is. That would be good for all.

Some interesting signing options there as well. I can't see Earnie returning - rarely a good thing to go back to the club where you made your name - but Marlon King? If we can overcome his past, he would be very useful. He shone out in a very poor Cov side at CCS on Boxing Day and scored a few goals as the season progressed. Ellington as well knows this level and would be good to have in the squad. If Gerrard stays with us - no reason not to now his rival in pre-season punch ups (Bothroyd) has gone - then we are actually okay at the back other than the need for a proper left footed left back who is not over the hill and can run a bit. I like your idea of danny rose on loan from Spurs as he actually played left back for them in a few games at the end of the season.

Not sure about Faye and Bowyer in the middle - separately perhaps but a bit long in the tooth to play together.

Anyway, nothing will happen until the new manager comes in.

ccfcremote - not sure of your depth of feeling against Quinn and Blake. Can you talk hypothetically, in very general terms? They were actually 2 of our better players in our ill fated run in. Quinny missing from the Reading home game certainly contributed to our downfall as the only other choice at left back apart from JLS was Naylor and Quiiny had been a rock at right back since Hudson's injury!!!! Darcy made few defensive mistakes and if he could only pass accurately he would be a very good player - certainly much fitter this season despite lack of game time. Please expand a little.

10. CityAce

CityAce Member

Marlon King - No thanks, good player but simply no thank you.

11. Goodland

Goodland Member

I think you're right Blue in regards to centre midfield - although having both Bowyer and Faye in the squad but playing one to stabilise and protect the defence might be a good idea. I hear two clubs have bid £750k for Jack Cork and he would be ideal to partner one of them. Likewise a centre-back signing would add competition but Gerrard and Hudson together are more than good enough to get yourselves out of the league. We've benefitted with Tate (as unpopular as he is with you guys) because of his willingness to play all over the park without grumbling and more often than not playing well. He's so useful for cover and makes the squad more flexible - so maybe the 3rd centre back should be a lad who can play full back/defensive midfield too...

I know what you mean about players returning but when Earnshaw came on against us in the semi he looked sharp (good goal) and it would be nice for the club to have two strikers who are 100% Cardiff. You would know that a defeat would hurt them - which was maybe questionable with one or two (certainly not all) of the loan signings last year. You would lack height upfront with them on but there's no reason not to keep Parkin on the bench if you want to mix things up - although Ellington is more mobile (as is my flat). I know what you mean with King, CityAce – sometimes the baggage is too much and the reputation of the player can dent that of the club.

Other than that a couple of young lads fished from overstocked Prem youth teams might be determined to make their mark - but would be better if (like Jack Cork) they were available as a permanent signing. Having said that, your youth academy has been quite productive in the past and, no doubt, you'll have a few effective players, home grown and dying to make their mark, just waiting to be given a chance. A few sensible experienced heads (maybe not King then! - although Bowyer seems to have sorted himself out... Danny Murphy is on a free - would he be willing to step down a league?... again that problem of age... But you could seek out players who have experience of captaining teams or of promotion - people who can steady the ship with a word or by example).

It's a difficult balance to strike - too many old players and youngsters skin them and they get knackered in the run in, too few and the ability to protect a lead or beat a few wobbles suffers.

Managerwise I know what you mean with Bellamy. Cardiff is an ambitious club and a tough one to come into and settle what would be a significantly different first eleven. However, stepping down from Man City and letting go of a lot of salary would buy time in the eyes of the fans/media - it would be one of their own doing it for the right reasons. Maybe a seasoned assistant manager alongside him with impeccable coaching credentials to be his Brian Kidd. I think goodwill would certainly relieve some of the pressure on the team and allow them to fulfill their potential.

12. Goodland

Goodland Member

If Everton get Boothroyd, would Beckford be available on loan? Just a thought. very similar player, would just slot in.

13. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Blue, are we talking at cross purposes here? I have no feeling against Quinn or Blake. I actually said I was happy with Blake at left back and have no issue with Quinn, though wouldn't see him getting ahead of Mcnuggets hence his position as a squad player. As for Blake I'd be comfortable with him anywhere across the back 4 or in centre mid and would actually see him starting ahead of Quinn if you read my comments. He's done a good job with his limited starts and I thought he deserved more game time, certainly more than Naylor who hasn't been mentioned by me even as a squad player.
    Hope I'm not coming over as defensive (deliberate pun) but an confused by your reading of my comments.

14. mjw6150

mjw6150 Member

Made a mistake, done his time...as far as I'm concerned he has paid his price and should be welcomed.

15. BluefromBridgend

ccfcremote

Sorry mate can't have had specs on straight, it was isawronnymoore who made the allegations about Quinn and Darcy. That being the case, isaw, please do expand in very general terms as I wouldn't want you incriminated in any way.

16. bluebird_pagey

What about adam le fondre? Isn't he on a free transfer? Simon Cox as well would be a good signing. It will be hard to get another player like Jaybo, but according to aamb his agents in talks with city again (believe it if you want). I do know that he hasn't put his house up for sale and stayed in London. He's still in Cardiff.

17. BluefromBridgend

His lady was on the Apprentice follow up show last week. Good sense of humour but carrying a few pounds (although TV can add half a stone). Perhaps Jaybo should get her on his fitness regime - fall down, stand up, fall down, stand up, complain to ref, fall down, stand up etc.

18. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

No problems Blue. You got me reading my comment a couple of times though. I was starting to doubt myself.

I forgive you the wonky glasses so long as they are blue tinted!:emoticon-0103-cool:

19. Swamp

Swamp Well-Known Member

i think we should postpone transfer speculation until we have a manager!

anyone got any ideas as to how long the process to get a manager will take? i think i remember jenkins saying something along the lines that they are conducting interviews this week and next, personally i'm starting to fall for these martin o'neill links that have surfaced, its not as if jenkins ruled it out completely and oneill has sorted out his contract wrangle with villa....

20. Goodbyen0t606

Goodbyen0t606 Active Member

I don't think Carew will come down, I doubt O'Neil would come here. We need to start looking at players who really want to play for our club. Chopra and Parking both have to get very fit over summer. We should change to a 4-5-1 (Whitts and Bellers out wide) and find a strong defensive midfielder first and then work from there. Maybe Gerrard could be a DM.