1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Forward Line ?

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by SussexBlueBird, May 31, 2011.

1. SussexBlueBird

SussexBlueBird Active Member

Bellamy, Burke and Bothroyd gone, to be honest I think we'll miss Burke most, last season i firmly believe that most of the clubs upped their game against us fearing our forward line and lets be honest it was good (at least on paper) then they found out we had a soft underbelly, our defense, belly like a cow in need of milking.
    OK Bellamy MAY be back but who else do you fancy up front, do we go for another big target man or do we go smaller more agile front line.

2. mjw6150

mjw6150 Member

I think we'll miss Burke the least. Ineffective way too often last season. Bothroyd is the one we will surely miss most, the focal point of the team...our record without him is surely much worse than with him?

3. DrewBlue

DrewBlue Member

But surely MJ now that DJ and Bothroyd have gone he will no longer be the focal point of the team due to us building a whole new squad with a new manager, fresh ideas and all that.

Mckail-Smyth or Rickie Lambert could be good options I reckon

4. taffthefish

taffthefish Well-Known Member

Personally I thought Jay was not that effective towards the end of the season.
    Burke was not that effective and got brushed aside to often for my liking. He needed a bit of bulking up, maybe should have had a chat with Chops.
    Bellers gave his all when fit and hopefully we'll see him back.
    Chops needs to lay off the pies and work hard over the close season if he wants to be a starter.
    Whitts out wide, goes missing to often when playing a central role.
    It's going to be tough for the next manager as we have to get in a minimum of 4 mid-fielders, a left back and another striker.
    Interesting times as ever being a bluebirds fan :)

5. mjw6150

mjw6150 Member

That's true but we'll struggle to find someone of Bothroyd's quality, even if his work-rate was questionable (personally I think it wasn't as bad as people make out). He is a far better player than the M-S or Lambert.
    If we really have money behind us, I'd like to see us go for John Carew, who has been released by Villa. Would be a perfect target man and still Premiership quality.

6. SussexBlueBird

SussexBlueBird Active Member

Agree, Carew would be good but will he step down, also Prem players have an inflated view of their weekly pay packet

7. isawronnymoorescore

isawronnymoorescore Well-Known Member

8. isawronnymoorescore

Well Carew could be an option especially with Martin O Neill 6/4 fav to get the job, i just think that Parkin was poorly treated and just didnt get a chance, Chopra on form and fit will be an asset, i also think Bellers will be back for the simple reason, i firmly believe that the board have been consulting him over the past few weeks. The defence should be built around Marshall/Heaton as i think they are both good keepers at Championship level, the only defenders i would keep are Mcnaughts and Gerrard, i think you will find there will be at least 7/8 new faces arriving in the not so distant future, i am looking forward to the new season.
    On a lighter note. I wonder how Ali is going to introduce us at the start of our games next season. The No1 Team in the CF and NP postcodes could be a consideration.......lol

9. mjw6150

mjw6150 Member

Parkin did need more time but I don't think he is what we need up top anyway. He was always going to be a back up squad player for us.

Why not keep Hudson? He has had a splendid season :) I thought Quinn & Keinan have done pretty well for us, too?

Still No.1 team in Wales! Swansea might be better right now but we will always be bigger ;)

10. isawronnymoorescore

Quote 'The whole of the defence was awful the midfielders and forwards had no confidence in any of them' unqote. That was from Bellamy, if our defence were ok then surely we would have been promoted, doing ok and doing a job are two different ways of looking at things, we need a defence that is rock solid and i believe that Mcnaughts and Gerrard will probably be the cornerstones of our defence next season, as for Keinan and Hudson squad players, Quinn can go as his attitude stinks plus he is a tea leaf.

11. mjw6150

mjw6150 Member

Bellamy said that? Tough words indeed! I hope he didn't mean SuperKev! :)

12. Cardiff Dyskinesia

Quinn's no Cafu, but I thought he improved as the season went on, and why is he a tea leaf?

13. isawronnymoorescore

The reasons could be construed as slander if published, however i agree he improved when he got in the team, and also if he had played instead of Naylor earlier in the season then things could have been very different imo, the other player that i do not particularly like because of his attitude is Darcy, he has the world at his feet, but he cannot keep his feet out of the pub. Take a trip to New Tredegar and you will see what i mean

14. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

As previously discussed, our defense looked shakey when our mid-field got over-run. A defensive mid who will put his foot in will help fix some of our defensive frailties. Oh and a decent left back, though I was happy when Blake played there.

With all the departures at the end of the season with loans and frees, the new manager will need to get in 10-12 players, with 1 or 2 others moved on. It's an ideal opportunity for a new man. A nucleus of a team with instant scope to bring in his own players. It needs to happen fast though. We've seen how long it takes for a team to gel, so new faces by the end of June are a must.

Heaton, Marshall fighting for the keeper slot, mcnuggets, blake, 3 of keinan, hudson, gypes, gerrard (player of the season at hull) plus a swifter new centrehalf gives a good start at the back.

Midfield is more of a problem. outside whitts we've nobody who commands a place. We could start with Parkin and Chopps if needed but 2 more strikers are a must.

Add mcphail, quinn and one or two youngsters, wildig in particular, as squad players.

Given what I've written above we are unlikely to see much change at the back as midfield is far more pressing!

A CB and a left back, 5-6 midfield players and 2 strikers are essential.

It's going to be a busy summer or a worrying Autumn!

15. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

Guys, just think a reality check here. listen to yourselves. John Carew, Craig MS and ricky lambert. What makes u think that Ms will pick you over the 2 premiership sides that are after him. John Carew, do you really believe that he will step down to the championship and why would rRicky lambert leave southampton for you, when arguably they are a bigger club than you and playing in the same league. I think boothroyd is a big loss for you and the right player is out there. But a Reality check for some is in order.

16. CityAce

CityAce Member

I imagine you said the same thing when we signed Bellamy and Ramsey on loan.

17. trundles left foot

Get real both were on loan. they didnt actually sign for you and you did pay their wages. bellamy came to you as a cardiff fan and local boy and the same could be said for ramsey. just wondering if John Carew has suddenly become a cardiff boy. just accept they wont sign for you and set your sights lower.

18. CityAce

CityAce Member

Where does the OP state he was talking about permanent signings? It doesnt matter if they are loan signings or not. Correct me if im wrong but Sinclair was originally a loan signing was he not and Borini was too but he's off.

19. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Until the Malaysians declare their hand and dish the dosh it is all conjecture. Proph said last week (on the back of his mole - oooeeer missus) that there is an embargo on any information leaking from City employees under pain of sacking so we really can't expect any news until after the new manager is appointed - the sooner the better as we will be crawling up walls wanting some sort of news.

20. trundles left foot

city, you are wrong siclair was never on loan. yes Borini was and yes he is off to parma. so now you think you will get carew, lambert or MS on loan. you are priceless.