1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Forster

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by SaintsNumber7, Jan 15, 2017.

1. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

There wouldn't be any agents if the players didn't feel that they needed them. Footballers play football...they haven't the time to search for and investigate deals or the expertise to spot when they are being ripped off or the legal knowledge to read the contract small print. Way back in the 'good old days' clubs did take advantage of player naivety. All talent need someone to handle this side of things. We may not like it, but if it wasn't working for the player, the agents wouldn't keep their jobs.

2. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Fran it is not that I don't think agents have a roll to play. However they should not be allowed to go round touting their players to other clubs just because to give the player other options. It is very unsettling to the players because they are wondering can I can't I and all the other things that go on with transfers.
    If a club is interested the first point of contact should be with the players club not the bloody agent. Which from my point of view just does not seem to be happening at the moment.
    Another thought perhaps....instead of the clubs paying agents perhaps the players should pay...........

Archers Road likes this.
  3. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...rst-goalkeeper-premier-league-manchester-city

Bravo’s save success rate is the fourth worst of any Premier League goalkeeper to make at least 10 appearances in a season since 2009-10, though it’s still not the lowest in the current campaign. That unwanted statistic belongs to Fraser Forster, who has faced significantly less criticism this season despite failing to live up to his heroics of the previous campaign.

The England international achieved the third highest save success rate of the regular keepers in the league last season (73.9%) – with Petr Cech leading the way – but that number has dropped substantially to just 54.8% this time around. That’s not only the lowest in the league this season but also the worst since Chris Kirkland in 2009-10 (54.6%). Despite starting every league game this season, Forster has made just 34 saves from a modest 62 shots on target, owing much to a strong defence in front of him.

please log in to view this image

4. Saintjoey

Saintjoey Well-Known Member

I find that genuinely fascinating. He hasn't looked live saving anything this year, I can only liken it to Courtois contrast last year to this seasons before (and this season) in terms of an inexplicable loss of form

5. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

Forster has played 21 conceding 26, so concedes: 1.23 goals per game, a decent return for a mid-table gk.
    Other than Middlesbrough, we've conceded fewer than every other team in the bottom half. Heaton is undoubtedly a good gk (conceded 27 in a poor Burnley side having faced 50 more shots than FF), but so is Cech and he's conceded 22.

I think he's injured which has caused mistakes and some shots he might have saved at his peak.

Archers Road likes this.
  6. Island Saint

Island Saint Well-Known Member

These stats also don't take into account the psychology of a striker being faced with a monster like Forster and aiming for the corners and missing. His shear physical presence must have some effect on this.

7. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Like many others, I still think he is injured.

8. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Whilst I'm very much pro-statistics (and not just in relation to sport), at the end of the day this just tells us what we already know - same with the shooting/scoring stats from earlier this week. If you have a shot on target against us this season, you invariably score. And you don't need to be too concerned about us having a shot against you, because invariably we won't score. They're not shocking or surprising stats, unfortunately.

9. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

For the record, Forster made a pretty decent intinctive save from his top corner from Firminho (I think) against Liverpool. Kept us in the tie there.

10. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Good shout. The defence let him down again there, as nobody tracked Lallana, who knocked the ball back to Firmino. I think that is fairly typical of a lot of the goals that we have conceded this season, where for one reason or another, our markers lose their man completely. It's not just Fraser's fault!

VVD likes this.

11. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Yeah that "you don't even walk like a keeper" shout was one of the oddest things I've heard at a football game!

fatletiss likes this.
  12. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Yes it was - forgot you were with me that day. It was even stranger than when Tom came with me and shouted out, "Ref, I love you."**

** this didn't really happen