1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Formation and players for Chelski game?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by luvgonzo, Feb 3, 2011.

1. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Any suggestions?

It won't be the same as last night and I think Suarez will start. :1980_boogie_down:

2. Bozz

Bozz Well-Known Member

I think it will back to 4-2-3-1

GK: Reina

LB: Johnson
    CB: Carra
    CB: Agger
    RB: Kelly

DM: Lucas
    DM: Merieles

AMC/L: Maxi or Cole
    AMC: Gerrard
    AMC/R: Kuyt

ST: Suarez

3. Poolliver LallanaDelRey

Bozz has actualy picked the formation I thought would of been running on Wednesday. But why Johnson on the left?

But for me this formation is too Rafa like, I think Kenny tends to think more outside the standard Rafa way of playing.

What I have noticed is under Kenny: the players playing LAM and RAM seem to run all over the pitch covering alot of ground and quite recently oftern run behond the striker as well as tracking back and winning balls.

Kenny has also started to play our LB and RB higher up the pitch in order to provide crosses, or allowing those playing the the LAM and RAM possitions to go forward and link up with the main man in the middle (depending on who we are playing).

Gerrard finds himself going back in to the heart of the midfield to make sure our defence stays in check. Hence why he has been playmaking a lot more now with Meireles often playing beside or slightly infront.

We seem to accosiate Gerrard as a CAM but i havnt actualy seen him play this far up the field as of yet, for good reason with the wing backs and the attacking midfields running back and forth he has got to stay slightly futher down the pitch. Incase of a counter attack.

4-3-2-1

------------------GK---------------
    -----------CB-------CB----------
    RWB----------CDM-----------LWB
    ------------CM----CM--------
    ------RAM-------------LAM
    --------V------STR--------V---

Due to the way this team is now being set up, it tends to mean that the attacking midfielders seem to receive as much scoring chances as the man in the middle.

-------------------Reina---------------
    -----------Carra--------Agger---------
    Johnson-----------Lucas-------------Kelly
    -------------Gerrard----Merieles--------
    ---------Suarez---------------Cole/Maxi-----
    --------V------------Kuyt--------V---

Though this formation does make it easy for Suarez to play off Kuyt, I do think Kuyt and Suarez's positions may change during the course of the match, this due to Kuyt's shooting ability. XD

I think this will be the formation Kenny sticks with. Ofcourse when Carroll comes back I wouldn't be surprised to see Kuyt in Cole's position With Carroll as the man in the middle.

I think due to the support Carroll would simply thrives on this.

4. Roberto

Roberto Member

Johno will be LB and Kelly RB

5. Thanks to Shanks

Reina, Kelly, Carragher, Agger, Johnson, Lucas, Meireles, Gerrard, Kuyt, Maxi, Suarez. 433/4231.

6. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

I'll run through the formation I would play then.

Gerrard and Meireles are both Attacking midfielders, I don't think either of them should be playing in a DM role. Lucas is a DM, he should be playing in front of the Central defenders. Gerrard plays well on the right, and Meireles can do well in most CM/AM roles. We will have carragher back for this match, we should play him.

This would be the formation I'd play...

--------------------------Reina--------------------------
    ---------Carragher-----Soto-----Agger---------------
    --Kelly--------------------------------------Johnson----
    -------------------------Lucas----------------------------
    ------------Gerrard--------------Meireles---------------
    -----------------------Ngog-------------------------------
    -----------------------------Suarez------------------------

We don't have very much width, let's not try and pretend we have by playing strikers in the winger roles. Kelly and Johnson will be our wingbacks, they did well there in the game against Stoke, who are a very defensive team. They will provide the width we need, whilst still being able to do their defensive duties. Carragher used to play in the RB role before Rafa, so I think he'll do fine in the RCB role, Agger usually plays the LCB role anyway.

Lucas's job is to make sure we control the midfield, this position allows him to link up with Meireles and still do his DM duties.

Gerrard and Meireles I feel are completely different players that need to play in similar positions, Meireles is a player who is there when you need him to follow a ball through, Gerrard just produces moments of class and his through balls are legendary.

Ngog and Suarez - I don't think they would be best utilised as a striking pair, which is why I've put Ngog behind Suarez - Ngog isn't the best at finishing, but he has pace. If he can get the ball and follow it through to Suarez he could do a good job. The other side of it is he's free to run it through and try his hand on goal at the same time. Suarez is up front for obvious reasons - he's the only fit striker we have.

7. Poolliver LallanaDelRey

This formation seems both realistic and plausible. Chelsea are a team that thrive on a 4-3-3 system which uses a diamond to link the midfield with the CF (Anelka) and the two Strikers (Which will be Torres and Drogba). There system does not provide defaulty much width (though watch out for Cole dashing from LB!)! The battle will be done more towards the centre of the park. That style of play would suit us.

I think the system you have picked would combat Chelsea's annoying diamond formation. I'm not sure about Ngog though; I know he is fast but I think he will simply be shrugged off the ball and wont make the same counter attacking runs (though i'm sure Suarez will). However with the midfield tracking back so much; will Suarez have enough support?

Though saying this; i wouldn't be surprised if Chelsea see our line up and simply ditch there diamond and use a formation with width. They have a large squad; and width really looks like a bit of a problem for us at the moment.

8. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

I wanted to play Ngog but I didn't know where to play him :cheesy:. He needs game time so I thought I'd give him a run, if I thought Joe cole was match fit and ready to play against his former club then I'd play him in the Ngog position.

9. Muppetfinder General

Muppetfinder General Well-Known Member

Cole vs Kelly is going to be a great test for the youngster.

I don't think Ngog is that easy to brush off the ball. He holds it up well and can turn a defender for a guy with a high centre of gravity. But I'd have him on the bench and go with Kuyt's experience.

10. Mog

Mog New Member

I think you're wrong on both counts. Kenny appears to be onto something with the 3 centre backs. It makes us more solid at the back and allows us to keep possession better as there are 3 centre halves available for a pass if a midfielder is under pressure. As well as Johnson has been playing at left back, if we're playing wing backs I'd rather see him on the right and Aurellio on the left. Kelly can slot into 1 of the centre half positions at Skrtel's expense. Suarez looked good when he came on the other night but I reckon he'll get another 30 minutes from the bench.

----------------------Reina------------------------------
    ---------------Kelly The Greek Agger-------------
    Johnson Meireles Gerrard Poulsen Lucas Aurellio
    --------------------- Kuyt-------------------------------

11. citycityhull

citycityhull Well-Known Member

I wouldnt be suprised to see you guys go with:
    Riena
    Kelly, Carra, Agger, Johnson
    Gerrard, Lucas, Mereiles
    Suraez, Kuyt, Maxi

I think this will be Kennys prefered line up (Carroll up top, Kuyt out wide ahead of Maxi) when Carroll is fit

Wouldnt be suprised to see

Riena
    Carra, Soto(Skirtel), Agger
    Kelly (RWB) Lucas (DM) Johnson (LWB)
    Gerrard (CM) Merieles (CM)
    Suraez (freerole)
    Kuyt (CF)

Basically playing back 3 (Agger or Carra man marking Torres when he drops to either side) with wing backs, Lucas covering defence to pick up Lampards runs. Gerrard and Merieles running the middle, Suraez dropping off and picking up the ball

12. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

I think the second one looks like the formation Kenny will play, we played well with the wing backs, and I can see him trying it out again. Although I think he'll play Suarez and Kuyt as a pair of strikers, perhaps he might even put Aurelio as LWB instead of johnson too, as it was noticeable Johnson struggled on his left foot against Stoke.