1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Football punditry/commentary

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Captainchaos., Feb 4, 2017.

1. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

Good morning!!!!

Over the years the classic one liners that have cemented themselves into football punditry have piled up, but what are your most hated ?

I hate the use of anything personified! Only a man that enjoys the smell of his own bumhole would appreciate such a word.

I hate it when bravery is used ! They are playing football not running around with machine guns ffs !!!! Couple that with the fact the players are all a bunch of fannys and you can see my point.

This leads me on to another one.

Gladiator ????? I can't even begin to express my opinion on this one

Sublime, wonderful and many more words are used for literally any goal these days and ****ing its cringeworthy.

There's so many it makes me ****ing sick!

Right !!!!!!!

As for commentary seriously I prefer South American it's proper and not some posh **** using his position to show off his knowledge of the cheeseball dictionary and demonstrate their knowledge of irrelevant statistics, instead they keep it simple

Example

GGOooooaaaaaaLllll!!!!

Yeah that's right

**** off and play scrabble clive I HATE you!!!!!'I think I'd prefer your commentary in sign Language

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    J. J. McClure likes this.
  2. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

One expression which irritates me is the over use of the word "famous" as in "famous victory" when say Stoke beat Chelsea. What on earth is"famous" about that. It's used as if it were some unexpected, once in a million years type win even when the clubs are in the same division.

Captainchaos. likes this.
  3. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

I really ****ing hate all these ****y terms that have recently come in for a midfield playermaker - ie midfield talisman, midfield enforcer, midfield schemer, midfield general, blah ****ing blah....and even worse this has lead to commentators talking horseshit about such players like "Steven Gerrard is the *engine room* of the team" , "Roy Keane is the *heartbeat* of the club".

Alongside this I have a few commentators I particularly hate/hated:
    Chris Sutton - how did he even become a pundit? Failed lower league manager who only seems capable of spouting the blindingly obvious.
    Garth Crooks - doesn't know his add from his elbow, as his team of the week always shows.
    Barry Davis - waffling old biddy, incapable of finishing a sentence.
    Brian Moore - remember that defeat to Arsenal when the ref was playing for them and Ginola was sent off? Moore the biased decaying old ****stain was ****ing over Arsenal and saying how great the ref was the whole game because he gave every decision against us.

4. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Most famous and best one ever was

And every commentator since has been trying to match/beat it, unsuccessfully.

5. Sheikh_of_Araby

Sheikh_of_Araby Well-Known Member

'Cultured' - Always used in relation to left footed players.

JakartaToon and Captainchaos. like this.
  6. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

yes I hate that one

Sheikh_of_Araby likes this.
  7. pauljohnhutch

pauljohnhutch Well-Known Member

he's won that free kick /penalty
    no he's a f 'in cheat

8. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The pundit I hate most is Jim Beglin, who is always involved in the Liverpool games - he tries to pretend he is fair and balanced but every comment has an underlying bias towards Liverpool FC.
    Worst things that pundits come up - he should have put that into Row Z.

9. Ben 10

Ben 10 Well-Known Member

Super Sunday: And it's liiiiiivvveeeeee.

10. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just seen another: Wonderful advertisment for the Premier League - basically means it's fast and furious with very little quality.

11. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

"Only xx minutes/hours/days until the transfer window slams shut"

Tol3 and JakartaToon like this.
  12. Geordie lass in the Fen

Geordie lass in the Fen Well-Known Member

I can't stand McMannaman, the gobby sod, never shuts up, repeats the same opinion over and over again and is just so critical of everything.
    If your so smart Steve why aren't you managing a top flight club.

13. pauljohnhutch

pauljohnhutch Well-Known Member

talk ****es Jason cundy classic, he allways comes out with well such and such club didn't have to offer him that amount of money

14. daztoc

daztoc Well-Known Member

The BeckhamS, the ShearerS, the KeaneS............ Stop ****ing making out that there is more than one of each player!!!!

Plus Ray Parlour. What a ****ing tool. He just constantly talks utter durdge on TalkSport......... and that is amongst many others on there that make a good living out of talking ****.

15. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

I don't mind McManaman, but I can't stand Souness - firstly he's an interminable boring prick, secondly how dare you offer your insight and try to criticise teams and managers when you've proven youself to be one of the worst managers the top flight has ever seen!

I'm dreading the day Joey Barton becomes a regular half time pundit, you just know the grubby criminal little motormouth is gonna be on there soon.

And back to hated phrases - "bread and butter", I hate this so much! It's a favourite of Sam Allardyce, i.e. "we may have won at Liverpool today, but the bread and butter for us was Burnley on Tuesday", "we want to have a good cup run, but the league is our bread and butter".
    And in relation to the above, Lawro's favourite rent-a-quote - "Sam Allardyce guarantees you Premier League survival"....don't look like it this season Lawro!

On the subject of Lawro, just wait until his predictions this week, and I'll be back here with another list of his sayings that I hate.

16. Beardsley's Stylist

Beardsley's Stylist Well-Known Member

What gets to me is the misuse of the word literally :emoticon-0105-wink:

17. General Lee Speaking

Since they changed the dictionary definitions a couple of years ago it's no longer a mis-use. Unfortunately.

18. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I just hate the lack of creativity. Its like in general life, you don't use the same phrase over and over unless you are a boring mundane ****. For example if someone makes an inappropriate joke and its then discussed later. You would not say "that went down like a lead balloon" every time like its some kind of catchphrase for that moment. You might say "that went down like a knackered lift" or "that went down like a child molester in Toys R Us" - given the options are endless its just lazy and boring to say the same thing over and over.

As you say commentators do this a lot. Given its their job to have a good command of the English language to express something, its not really acceptable. Another thing is cockney rhyming slang. This should not be accepted where it concerns the general population. Why don't you **** off with that bollocks. If Paul Merson says "he's hit the beans on toast" anymore I may have to consider if he continues to deserve to breath any longer, and whether I should ask Chaos to do something about it.

19. General Lee Speaking

Gary Lineker's 'banter' with co-hosts is ****ing appalling to be fair