1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Football needs a wake up call

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by City Man, Nov 13, 2016.

1. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Affectionately know as the 'spaz wagon car park'.

Political correctness not yet having been invented.

2. originalminority

originalminority Well-Known Member

we called them spaz chariots

AlRawdah likes this.
  3. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I stand corrected.

4. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

Brian Clough warned that showing live football on the telly on match days would kill the game and he was right. When he warned of the threat of live football on the telly it was still relatively cheap to get in and the stadiums were not all seater. Football was still fun and a cheap day out and yet he could see the danger looming.
    Its far worse today then Clough imagined. If your team is in the premier league you can watch every match home and away from numerous places, even from your own arm chair on a laptop. The Betting Companies flood the television channels with adverts every ten minutes showing your average football fan today as someone either sat in the pub or at home in front of the telly wearing your colours, eating a takeaway and drinking beer with your mates whilst having a bet on the result. Who would have thought any club in the world could get away with charging their supporters £30 odd pound a game and the same for kids and OAP's and not being able to amble up on a match day and pay at the turnstiles ? We have that here in Hull, I'm surprised we get anyone at the games when you can walk past numerous pubs on the way to the KC all advertising the days game live from the comfort of the pub for free.
    I remember gates taking a nosedive at Boothferry Park when the club rounded up prices after decimalisation. It went from a handful of loose change to get in to just under a pound ! People stopped away in their droves and never came back.
    Now the clubs employ 'marketing men' who have to have a degree to work out how to get and keep people turning up at the stadiums on a matchday.
    I'll tell them how. Drop the price, drop the restrictions, return the concessions, reduce the seating areas, drop the price of your beer and pies and stop ripping people off. And I'll give them that information for nothing gained from over 50 years experience as a paying customer at one club.

modnrock, PLT, Edelman and 1 other person like this.
  5. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

So there were only half a dozen old people in Hull back then?

Those were for disabled people, nothing to do with age, disability can strike anyone at any age. Remember that Rotherham lad who was paralysed and he used to come to BP in the 70s/80s.and watch laid on a stretcher. (I remember reading a couple of years or so back that he had passed away).We are talking about people complaining they can't stand because they are too knackered. So old folk who grew up in poverty in the 1930s and 1950s, went through the war, had rationing, then did hard jobs managed to stand up when they got older. Now we have people after years of comfy living and easier jobs who are too knackered to stand.

6. Barchullona

How do you think the working class can reclaim the game, exactly?

7. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

HCAFC (Airlie Tiger) Well-Known Member

They can't, it will never be a working class sport again.

Edelman likes this.
  8. AlRawdah

AlRawdah Well-Known Member

Meaning your statement about reclaiming the game is a little naive, some people now watch football in a different way.

9. Tickton Tiger.

Go and have another cup of coffee mate, I was joking.

10. Barchullona

I know. Just wondered how Obi imagined they possibly could.

HCAFC (Airlie Tiger) likes this.

11. Barchullona

Thing is some people will take it seriously. Still wonder, looking at other away followings, why they seem to take 3,000 fans who are all healthy and stand up, old and very young, for 90 minutes but our fans have uncles, dads and friends with all sorts of ailments who can nevertheless travel, climb up the stairs to get in but standing up is beyond them and young kids who are traumatised by anyone standing or being noisy.
    Was watching the clip when Sunderland went to celebrate with their travelling fans and their were blokes of our age who had got to the front mobbing their players. Not the sort of scenes we witness.

12. Tickton Tiger.

Footballs changed mate. I have people sat near me who cannot be arsed to even clap when we score a goal never mind utter a word of encouragement.
    It could be something to do with the price we now charge to get into the games. When your forking out £30 plus I supposed a lot of people expect a to sit down for that kind of money and have an unrestricted view of the pitch. They are entitled to that after all and at least they have made the effort to buy a ticket and get to the game and are not 'supporting' their team from their armchair or in the pub.
    The only solution I see it to have one stand unreserved seating ( or standing if you wish) and make it cheaper then the other stands therefore if people stand up when you want to sit in peace the option is to pay a few quid more and sit with other fans who want to sit down and watch the game in peace. It's not rocket science and it's how it used to be. When we stood together behind the South Stand goal we had a choice. Stand up and accept all that goes with a standing spot ( and that was part of the attraction) or pay a bit more and transfer to the seats.
    Why we need a marketing genius to work that out is beyond me, I think it's common sense.

13. Newland Tiger

Newland Tiger Well-Known Member

People stand in the north stand , pity they made behind the goal zone 4 , that really doesn't help

PLT likes this.
  14. Barchullona

True. But you can see far more fans stood up at grounds where they pay more than £30 to get in. Also, as I said, compare how many are standing amongst away fans of other clubs to the number of ours. Maybe it is a Hull and East Riding thing.

15. WhittlingStick

WhittlingStick Well-Known Member

why didnt anybody finish off your Pun ? you whipped in a lofted ball into the box and . . .

16. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

True !! There's always been people that go to games and aren't vocal.
    My uncle was Hull City mad but wasn't vocal he just loved his club.
    This only appears to be a bigger problem because different fans are now sat together or at at our club totally pissed off and moved about from seat to seat.
    Hopefully we ll have standing, concessions and cheaper entrance fees sooner rather than later and this problem/moaning about it will disapear

17. Obadiah

Obadiah Well-Known Member

I would love to give you a full answer but remember, no politics.

Two things which will help are safe standing and the FSF's campaign on pricing.

18. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

American 'sports' are more just everyone gets a turn.

That's not competitive sport, it's a dressed up version of pass the parcel.

PLT likes this.
  19. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

HCAFC (Airlie Tiger) Well-Known Member

Must you try and prove you're an idiot on every single thread?

20. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

I don't. You seem to have a good go at it though.

Tickton Tiger. likes this.