1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Fonte submits Official Transfer Request

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saints Fan4Life, Jan 5, 2017.

1. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

No, that interview was prearranged. He did a similar one a couple days after leaving on the radio. Came across the same way as well.

2. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

The interview was on Jim White's programme on talkSport and yes very similar apart he said then that he hadn't put in a transfer request whereas now he says that he told the Club that they should listen to the offers that he was getting lessening the implication that that the Club want rid of him

3. ----HistoryRepeating----

Like someone pointed out, he's just being a politician with his words. Sad to see him leave, but I think the club have made a good call. If gathering up as much money as he can is his new motivation, then clearly WHU are a dream choice. Good luck Fonte.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  4. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

We must lay some of the blame on the interviewers....this is obviously the only interesting thing about Fonte. Can anyone think of another angle because I can't. He could have remained a hero, but felt he needed a final pay rise to secure his future. I can't blame him for that....he will be a long time unemployed (or at last not employed on such a large wage). He made his decision, but now doesn't like all the rumours he was being difficult. He trained for us and did play for us, so I accept he wasn't being a pain....but a team still doesn't want someone around who is on his way out. It affects planning and perhaps unsettles other players, so best he moved on. He can't have it all ways, but he would be advised not to keep stirring once the sauce has gone bad.

5. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I stumbled over Micky Channon's words. He was talking prior to the EFL Final. He doesn't mince them. ;) :

Channon: "The game is the same but the people have changed. I am delighted for the players and everything else. Certainly a lot them have worked bloody hard for this and they're good professionals. Then you get the idiots like (former Southampton captain Jose) Fonte, who wants to leave and not honour his contract. I can't understand it."

6. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

Jose himself must be feeling a bit peeved, he had the opportunity to win a Cup at Wembley and he blew it.

7. TheSecondStain

Yep, had he been playing, we may have been more secure defensively and it could really have been a winner's medal. What if's.!

8. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Not sure about that! Zlatan gave Jose a right seeing-to when we played them earlier in the season IIRC.

9. TheSecondStain

Well I did say 'may'.

Personally, I think Saints have done good business. £8M for a 33 year old, albeit one in very good nick [ask Fran], but whose performances this season have not been up to his previous standard, is not bad dosh at all. I suppose Jose would say he can play for another 5 years at PL standard.? I think we got his best years.

10. ----HistoryRepeating----

Whereas Swansea probably feel £12M for Williams at 31 wasn't that good. How much would Fonte have been worth two years ago? No fee worth selling for I'd guess.

11. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

He was really bad last night against Chelsea. He kept pushing forward randomly, which left huge gaps.

12. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

He was rated 4/10 in the report I read.

manxsaint and garysfc like this.
  13. manxsaint

manxsaint Active Member

He's a spent force. West Ham have been sold a dummy.

14. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

I doubt he cares. Money + contract = more important.

15. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Fonte has been fantastic for us....stabilising the team through the leagues, partly by skill and organisation and partly by leadership. He may be able to transfer this to another club, but also may not. Some of his strength was down to his standing at Saints....he won't have that at West Ham.

16. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Think I may have found the greatest post ever on SaintsWeb <laugh><laugh>

"I can perfectly well imagine that the nonsensical arrangement of Kelvin Davis being the "Club" captain with Jose Fonte being the "On field" captain really wrankled with Davis and as soon as he (Davis) got his feet under the table on the coaching staff he did everything in his power to ensure that Fonte wouldn't get the chance of following him in and queering up his pitch once again."

17. ----HistoryRepeating----

From now on, we should just let Fonte's on field performances do the talking.

Archers Road, tiggermaster and Qwerty like this.
  18. NISaint

NISaint Well-Known Member

Saw a West Ham fan on Twitter say that he's the worst defender to have ever played for the club <laugh>

19. ihatemyselfandwanttodie

ihatemyselfandwanttodie Well-Known Member

Not trying to have a dig here, but isn't the bit about him wanting a rise to secure his future what most people berrated Koeman for? He wants more money, perhaps we tried to replace him n the summer and it didn't materialise so he had to wait til Jan.

I dont see what the issue is, no one wants to look the bad guy and everyone sees things differently, the club, the player, the agent, the fans.

In hindsight, the money we got for a player his age and on the (looks like rapid) decline worked it well, all things considered.

20. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

<laugh> I bet that quote has been edited to remove about half a dozen '****s'.

Good old Mick.