1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Flint in Demand.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, May 2, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Aden Flint is David Moyes' dream centre-back - Sunderland must challenge Aston Villa

Bristol City's inspirational defender Aden Flint is wanted by Aston Villa - but David Moyes' Sunderland are crying out for him.

In David Moyes’ more successful days, his rugged, hard-to-beat outfits were usually built upon a solid backline marshalled by the most no-nonsense centre-half.

Think Joseph Yobo, Phil Jagielka, Joleon Lescott, Sylvain Distin – all natural, old-school defenders ready and willing to throw their bodies on the line. It’s fair to say Moyes cannot depend on the same consistency or character at Sunderland right now.

Therefore, after a nightmare weekend in which Swansea and Hull City both picked up three points to all but confirm Sunderland’s relegation, it’s even more apparent that The Black Cats must start preparing for life in the Championship.

And challenging Aston Villa for Aden Flint would be a good place to start. According to The Sun, Villa boss Steve Bruce wants to reinforce his backline with the 6ft 5ins Bristol City stopper with the club’s propensity for throwing away points via silly goals holding them back throughout the entire campaign.

Flint, a natural-born leader who thrives with his back pinned against the wall, could at least prevent the odd capitulation.

However, Sunderland have been crying out for a player of Flint’s qualities for far too long. The 27-year-old, Bristol City’s 2015/16 Player of the Season after spearheading their Championship survival, looks likely to repeat the trick in the current campaign with The Robins now six points above the relegation zone.

please log in to view this image

The former Swindon Town man has been a pillar of consistency since joining the club in 2013 and, in recent weeks, there have been few better defenders in the Championship. In fact, his importance was perhaps summed up by Saturday’s dramatic 3-2 win against Burnley – a result that almost guarantees City’s safety.

A magnet at one end, making a game-high nine clearances, Flint then popped up with the winner at the other.
    In many ways, he is the ideal Moyes centre-back.
    http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/05/0...moyes-dream-centre-back-sunderland-must-chal/

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  2. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

What's this?
    'his importance was perhaps summed up by Saturday’s dramatic 3-2 win against Burnley – a result that almost guarantees City’s safety.'

3. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Obviously an hitc.com mistake but the article is as reported, of course we all know it was against Barnsley Flint scored that glorious late winner, saving Johnsons bacon.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  4. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

He looked like he was inspired against Brighton and I wouldn't be surprised to see him move on with his talent and commitment. The broadcasters gave him their man of the match.

5. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

With the above and looking at the comments regarding "Sunderland's nightmare weekend with both Hull and Swansea picking up three points, all but confirm Sunderland's relegation."
    I would guess it's a week old article.

6. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

I love Flint, and he's one of our top players, but he's one of those who is on the crest of momentum, which can only be kept by staying here. I really think if he was to go to another team he'd be poorer, and 'found out'. I can't really put any logical explanation on it but you do get examples of this.

7. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

A catch 22 situation Rob but it will be what it will and I hope he sticks around as part of the rebuild because he is some of the firm ground we need.