1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

First Match?

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by glasgowcanary, Jan 27, 2011.

1. glasgowcanary

glasgowcanary New Member

I know this was done on 606 a wee while ago but as I came across the tickets for my first match last night...

Can you remember your first Canaries match?

Mine was age 7 in 1994 - premiership match v QPR. Adults ticket £10, kids £5. I can't remember the result but I do remember how exciting it was and that Bryan Gunn was in goal. It's had me hooked on the canaries ever since.

OTBC, CTID

Rach, glasgowcanary

2. Dangerous Marsupial

Dangerous Marsupial Well-Known Member

Slightly different to the gist of the post byt I'd like to say I can't even remember how I became a Norwich fan; nobody in my family was even a sports fan, I think I must of been about 5 or 6 and someone said to me 'What team do you support?' and I said Norwich! I don't know why I would of said that, because I was way too young to understand the idea of supporting your local team and all my friends supported Man U... I guess I just must of been born with an affection for Norwich City! :)

3. Canary Jack

Canary Jack Member

I'm fairly certain my first game was Norwich 1 - 1 Barnsley back in 1997. I was 8. I remember my dad really pissing me off by going nuts when Norwich scored, I just wasn't ready for how crazy it gets when Norwich score!

4. Yellows

Yellows Member

None of my family were Norwich fans, my Dad used to live in Romford and supported the hammers, and so I rarely went to games at CR as a kid. The only one I remember was a friendly (well---unfriendly) against Ipswich, but I don't remember how old I was or what year it was played. We sat in the old South Stand, nearer the River End. I can't even remember the score. It was only when I met my husband--about age 17--that I became a devoted Norwich fan, although I always liked to watch football on the telly--ah, back in the days when it was on the beeb. My husband's father used to have a corporate box in the City Stand and I would wheedle a seat out of him for the home games, but getting chicken in a basket at half-time was no way to watch the football, and so I eventually got my own season ticket and have had it for over ten years now.

5. barclayenddan

barclayenddan Active Member

My first game was in the 90/91 season can't remember who we was playing but can remember sitting next to fleck in the director box with my dad. Didn't really experience the true atmosphere till the 92/93 season when I was in the barclay when it was terraced. We were losing 1-0 and my Dad was one of those annoying people who always left early only for us to score in the last minute think it was against southampton and on the season video you could just make out me and my walking out the ground as we scored!

6. cardinalcanary

cardinalcanary Active Member

Not sure how I became a Norwich fan either really. We had family friends in Kings Lynn who we visited every so often so I knew a bit about Norwich. Other than that I guess I'm just a 1972 glory hunter who picked up on Ted MacDougal, Phil Boyer and Kevin Keelan getting into the top flight for the first time. My first match was an away game to QPR when I was aged 9. It was the early 70's, it was a 0-0 draw but Martin Peters was playing and he was brilliant. Hooked ever since.

7. KoreySmith

KoreySmith New Member

My first match was against Huddersfield April 1998 just 3 years old so can't remember much but we won 5-0. I have the program and ticket framed and on my wall.

8. Canary Mark

Canary Mark New Member

My first game was also the Norwich vs QPR in 1994, the score was 4-2 Norwich. I was 13 and sat in the upper barclay.Have never looked back since. I don't remember the scorers though.

OTBC

9. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Mine was the dullest 0-0 draw I have ever seen, between Norwich and Bury in 1998. I was six at the time. Can't remember too much else about it, and I only went because my dad is a Bury fan, still, I managed to get hooked somewhere along the line!

10. glasgowcanary

glasgowcanary New Member

Thanks Mark - I'll remember that score for when it's discussed in future.

11. goalie_1

goalie_1 New Member

Mine was a 1-1 game against Luton in the mid-80s when i was about 7. The whole family went to show me how safe football was following the Bradfod fire. All i can remember is missing the Norwich goal as i picked something up off the floor and my genius parents not having clicked that we would be sitting opposite the (now named) Geffrey Watling stand - which had recently burnt down..... ooops!!!!! Despite all that i was desperate to go back

12. Graham Paddon Football Genius

My First Match, I was about 7 it was early 1980 and it was the Norwich 3 Liverpool 5 match with the Fashunu Goal of the season, all football matches have been downhill from then on. All I can really remember was the Fashunu celebration as it was right in front of where I was sitting in the old Main Stand.

13. Sir Arthur

Sir Arthur Member

Hey,

I am not totally sure when my first match was, but it was during the 2004-2005 premiership season.

The one that stands out was on the 22nd of January. That was the famous 4-4 draw against middlesborough, and I remember telling my sister that we wouldn't lose, even as the goals were banging in against us. I was also questioning her why people were leaving 10 mins early as the game hadn't finished yet. It s probably because of that game that I've never left a game early as I'm scared of missing a great moment.

And of course, no-one can forget Delia's drunken 'Let's be avin' you!' a month later. I just assumed that it was a regular occurance, normal for Norwich... :emoticon-0138-think

OTBC

14. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

My first match was the 1 - 1 draw with Sheff. Utd. I think it was our first game in the old 2nd division in '59.

I was 11 years old and I've supported them ever since.

15. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

Thought this thread deserved bump.

My Ist game was Baggies v Spuds around 1962.

My 1st City game was home to Gooners, can't remember the year<doh>

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
  16. Jedi-Canary

Jedi-Canary Active Member

My first Norwich City match at Carrow Road was against Arsenal in 1986, when Kevin Drinkell scored in a 1-1 draw. A firend's father, who has since passed away took me to see my first Norwich City game