1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

First Game?

Discussion in 'Millwall' started by Showoff, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Showoff

Showoff Active Member
    Forum Moderator

Seems like 500 years ago but my first game was a bit of a sham as I didn't get to see anything.
    I must have been about 9 or 10 and I decided to use my Red Bus Rover to get down to the Den with a mate of mine. When I got there (late) I could hear people inside and a few lads that were knocking about outside told us that we could get in for nothing and that we should follow them.
    So, off we headed round the side of the stadium and there was a long and muddy slope that led up to the bottom of the floodlight between the CBL end and the Halfway line (yep you know the one :grin:). There was a hole in the fence so we all crawled through and separated.
    I stood there and all I could see were loads of men standing around smoking, talking and drinking tea. On the pitch there were about five blokes kicking a ball about.

What a load of **** I thought. **** this I'm off, so we crawled back through the fence and went home.

Little did we know that it was half time.<doh>

2. SE16

SE16 Member

My first game was Millwall V Hull City, a 3rd division clash midweek in 1977, so not sure if it was season 76-77 or 77-78. We played Charlton away that season and won 4-2, went to that as well.

What my brother didn't tell me was he was taking me in the Charlton end, I was only 10 !

3. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

my first game was against norwich at the old den >^$#@ years ago i was about 12 and all i can remember was i kept looking at the sign on top of the stand which had MILLWALL FOOTBALL CLUB writen on it because i couldnt believe i was actually there <laugh>
    when we moved to the new stadium i wanted to get that sign for my house but never did <doh>

4. Ulster Lion

Ulster Lion Member

First game was Man Utd vs Charlton - 1-0 to Man U and watched in the Stretford end.

5. Deano

Deano Member

My first game was away to reading in 85 don't remember much about it. My first home game was millwall v Leicester in the 5th round of the FA cup we won 2 nil Fash got one can't remember who got the second?? They had Lineker and Smith up front. I've still got the scar in my eyebrow from falling face first off the fence when we scored our second!!

6. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

Deano

wasnt that after our famous win at Stamford Bridge Chelsea 2-3 Millwall if you missed that you missed a classic,
    i went with my brother in law whose Chelsea he had a friend with him from LEICESTER and in the car on the way to the game all they spoke about was meeting up again for the Chelsea v Leicester game in the next round <laugh> CLASSIC

7. Deano

Deano Member

Yes it was but to be honest I was only 9 at the time I remember vividly the buzz walking down the terrace on the cbl half the lights out on the floodlights. I was hooked nowhere I've been has ever matched that atmosphere In my eyes

8. Showoff

Showoff Active Member
    Forum Moderator

I went to that one too, great game. McLeary scored the second goal.

The game before that 'Tits' mentions at Chelsea was the best game I ever went to. Chelsea got destroyed all over the place. It was like a home game. Then it was Luton after Leicester, and we all know about that one.

9. West_Upper_Lion

My first game was when i was about 7/8 - cant remember who we played as my old man didnt buy a programme, i cant even check or ask and he can't remember who either.

We went in the stand as my old man had this idea it would be better language!! ****ing hell how wrong he was. I remember thinking it was great, one of the oppo players was getting the usual treatment big time on our side of the pitch and as the half went on he reacted when taking a throw in to the crowd near where we were sitting. Big mistake and within a minute some bloke was on the pitch and chased him to try and give him a clump, he didnt connect.

I thought this definitely the place for me and have been hooked ever since.

10. Showoff

Showoff Active Member
    Forum Moderator

When did they put the fences up at the den? I can always remember them being there but maybe I'm wrong.

11. SE16

SE16 Member

The fences were always there as far as I remember, they brought those rotating spiked things in sometime in the 80's.

Don't ever remember seeing a fence along the stand though, although it may have been a low one ?

12. LFB

LFB Member

My first game was back in about 1972 with my old man, I was then aged 9 and can't remember who against or what the score was. Me and the old man used to fluctuate between there and Dulwich hamet most Saturdays. Hamlet was , at the time, better because the match was pants but us lads could use the field next to the pitch for a kickabout while the old fella's watched the game, jumpers for goalposts and all that! I also then had hair :afro: And we used to walk down from Nunhead (The posh bit of Peckham!!)

13. rockymountainlion

I have been thinking about this for the last couple of days now ( my memory seems to have taken a vacation ) and I know it was at the old den, and I think it was Plymouth, the season before we got promotion to the old first division

14. West_Upper_Lion

The fences came after the Ipswich game didnt they?? My first game was around 73/74 was only 7 or 8. I think at the stand the fences were lower, can't remember tbh. Spikes didnt come til later.

15. West_Upper_Lion

please log in to view this image

Fences seem lower on stand

16. Millwall_Adam

Millwall_Adam Member

My first Millwall match was in 21st April 2003, Vs Crystal Palace at The Den. I was around 11 and I walked up the steps and first thing I saw was the lush green pitch and heard MILLLLLLLLLLL going around the ground. First song to away fans was "Living next door to Palace, Palace, who the **** is Palace!!!.

I think if I remeber correctly it was 2-2 then 90 minutes odd a corner for us whipped in and all I saw was Tim Cahill run in outta nowhere and power the header in. The day was topped off when we came out the ground and was walking to the train station and we turned around when we heard a noise and saw and big fat Palace fan having a fight with a short and bald Palace fan. :D

Great times ;)

17. Showoff

Showoff Active Member
    Forum Moderator

Always take your mates/kids to a game that we are guaranteed to win (if there is such a thing) :emoticon-0148-yes:

18. brb

brb Guest

First game ever Gills 1 v West Ham 2 (friendly)

Far to many years ago...<whistle>

19. rockymountainlion

the job agent avram is doing, you may get to play them next time in the league

20. Mr_Millwall

Mr_Millwall Member

My first match was to long ago to remember ,i do recall we were in division 3 south.