1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Feeling Left Behind?

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by TheCasual, May 27, 2017.

1. TheCasual

TheCasual Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but anyway. There's a lot of people on here with good experience of life.

I posted on here last summer on a thread about mental health how i'd been suffering from anxiety. I've mange to find away of coping/dealing with it all and I'm genuinely in a good place and life is great.

But one thing is nagging at me though. I feel as though I'm being left behind by my friends. There getting to a point of having kids, settle down etc.

Thinking about it I do have plenty of friends. But they all have responsibilities and I'm single and I'm in the fortunate position of having a bit of disposable income and generally having freedom.

Any advice would be welcome. I know I'll end up with a bit of piss taking :emoticon-0102-bigsm

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  2. newlandcasual

newlandcasual Well-Known Member

travel the world with your disposable..

over18and legal likes this.
  3. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

How do you know they don't envy your situation re disposable income and freedom?
    Anyway, many of em will be single and skint again soon enough!

4. The greengrocer

The greengrocer Well-Known Member

Depends on your age really? Some get married & have kids early some leave it late! There isn't a right or wrong, I got married at 30 and the kids came along a few years later! But I've got friends who have grandchildren! Go with the flow mate? Glad to hear your doing ok though :emoticon-0148-yes:

Howden Tigress likes this.
  5. over18and legal

over18and legal Well-Known Member

As suggested by Newland go travelling.

Travelone.co.uk

explore.co.uk
    or
    rivieratravel.co.uk

They all do singles holiday but you meet up with other singles so it ends up as if you are part of a group.

Good luck and let us know how you got on<cheers>

6. TheCasual

TheCasual Well-Known Member

I don't envy them for settling down or anything. I love spending time with them, but they just don't have as much spare time or cash as me.

I'm 29, so not really young, but not really old.

7. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Just carry on enjoying what you're doing and please relay any filthy stories on here. You ****

8. over18and legal

in my eyes you are very young:emoticon-0148-yes:.

9. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

Yep
    If you younger than my kids you're officially very young!

Stockholm Tiger likes this.
  10. Quill

Quill Bastard

29?

All my mates (and myself I'll admit) are doing this settling down thing at 22/23.

My recommendation? Go travelling.

Whilst my travels with the lass are always fantastic, going and exploring with no worries is just great. When I went to Tokyo alone a few years ago I had the time of my life. Of couse, you don't have to go to the other side of the World, but just getting away no matter where can do wonders.

Last edited: May 28, 2017

11. over18and legal

There you go Casual.....Quill is the expert you need.

Quill likes this.
  12. dennisboothstash

Now we've established you're annoyingly young (or rather the same age that lots of us would like to be / still think we are) then I'll give you my tenpenneth, for what's it's worth

Firstly the fact you've acknowledged your mental health issues and have been happy to discuss them is a massive plus in my book. Fair play to you, and if other men (particularly) of any age did that would be a good thing

You might think you've been left behind but in whatever group of friends you have there will always be a first to settle down and a last to settle down (unless there is a weird 7 brides for 7 brothers thing going on...it's a musical...ask some sad old bugger ;) )
    I started very young and had a first child at 18. There was certainly times that I was thinking I'd like to be doing what my footloose friends were for a while. Then mine grew up and they started having theirs, all of a sudden I have more spare time and cash than them. Now some have young kids and I'm waiting to become a grandad. Point is we're all still friends. There will always be a natural flow as to life positions but by and large everyone will end up similar in the end (much older than 29!)

As for now there are plenty of other ways to do stuff outside that group of friends without spoiling anything there. Travel being a great example
    I started snowboarding late in life, and go with a mate the same age, but the other two who always come away (sometimes others do too) are much younger (28 and early 30's) and had previously been solo boarders for similar reasons as yourself. One used to just go away alone and always made friends while there, one hadn't and had been looking for a group to go away with when we suggested he join us. Totally different ages, totally different areas and marital status and it works great (apart from the fact that the little ****ers can't keep up with the grown ups in the bars apres)

So start snowboarding! (actually the moral of the story might have been something else, but I forget...I'm old)

Don't lose track of your mates, they'll enjoy living a single life vicariously through you now, and always remember at some point you might be settling down when they're suddenly becoming free of kids and having more cash...it's just how it is

Great you're in a good place...enjoy it

13. over18and legal

Great post Dennis

dennisboothstash likes this.
  14. dennisboothstash

Why thank you :emoticon-0150-hands

15. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

It s a ****ing massive world.

Get in amongst it, discover new experiences, try things, like them, dislike others. No boundaries, no restrictions.

We had our family relatively young, we now enjoy what others were enjoying whilst we were raising hell (or kids, as they're usually called).

One life, live it.

16. over18and legal

My pleasure mate.
    <cheers><cheers>

dennisboothstash likes this.
  17. over18and legal

Some great advice on here Casual.
    Go and explore the world mate but make sure you are streetwise and stay safe (especially if you visit Leeds):emoticon-0143-smirk

18. over18and legal

I'm travelling up-to bed chaps.:emoticon-0113-sleep

19. TigerinSydney

TigerinSydney Well-Known Member

Head to Sydney - it's full of hot single Aussies girls looking for a man.

I wish I was 29 and single here..

And well done for speaking out - and great that you're doing well

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  20. Qatartiger Cambridgetiger

Qatartiger Cambridgetiger Well-Known Member

Great stuff Casual, well done for getting though the **** and stuff. Like many have said travel even try and find a job abroad for a couple of years or so.it is amazing how it can change your outlook on life. I've been out here over 5 years now and I was over 50 when I did it. Never look back fella. My only downside is my family kids and wife are still in the UK which is very tough at times. If you are single the world is your oyster. Hope you don't mind the advice. Again well done and hats off to ya.

Kempton likes this.