1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Favourite Saints moment of 2016

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Libby, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Libby

Libby 9-0

As the title says really, what's been your favourite Saints moment of this calendar year?

Inspired by a **** article on the bbc about best PL moments. A few of mine...

- 2-0 down to 3-2 up against Liverpool.
    - Coming from behind to win at WHL with a brace from goal machine Steven Davis.
    - Visiting the San Siro with the mighty Saints
    - Beating Inter Milan at St Marys
    - 2-0 win at the Emirates in the efl cup.

No daft poll or anything just something to discuss between as us as the New Year approaches. Feel free to pick your favourite from my list or add your own!

2. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

As tarnished as the memory is, Mane's winner, and the resulting celebrations as we come from behind against Liverpool ... never celebrated a goal like it, and genuinely lost my voice that night.

3. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

Given where I live, Sadio's goal at Anfield is a great memory. A game of few chances looked to have been settled with Benteke's header and then Sadio slid in. Cue great joy and jubilation. Losing when i would then have needed to face gloating Reds after the match was unthinkable. Oh yes, and that oh so comfortable win at SMS against the same bunch!

Overall 4 points from the buggers and finishing above them - priceless

4. Libby

Libby 9-0

Wasn't the away game in 2015? Agree with your general sentiment though mate.

5. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

My moment came in the last game against Bompey, Jay's wonderful second goal filled me with such delight as he has been a particular favourite of mine since he joined the club and I felt so much relief for the lad after such a frustrating two years for him.

6. Missing Lambo

Pedant alert! You're right, of course. I have enjoyed the moment throughout 2016, mind you. Thank you for reminding me of my senility so early in the morning!!

Libby and thereisonlyoneno7 like this.
  7. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

For me top 3:

1) Without doubt (except for the result), going to the San Siro to see Saints play as equals. Just typing it gives me goosebumps.
    2) Going two down, missing a penalty and then beating Liverhampton 3-2. For 2-2 I knocked my mate over, so at 3-2 I jumped up to the guy in the other side of me and he punched me in the face!
    3) Beating Inter Milan at St Mary's. WOW, just wow. I never thought in 40 years of being a Saints fan I would write that.

Libby likes this.
  8. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Who or what is Bompey?

9. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Bournemouth apparently. Stupid name for them really as we don't consider them rivals.

10. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Has to be the 3-2 against Liverpool....loved RK's* running limp down the line.

*Also known as treacherous bastard and the Lying Dutchman.

11. Missing Lambo

Ides, you're either taking the piss or have been on another planet, mate. I loath this term, as it bestows a status on a little team that they haven't yet earned! I am totally indifferent to their fate, and so they are simply Bournemouth*. Silly nicknames are for those that matter.

* For those of a certain age, a reminder of "names to call the Belgians competition" from Monty Python, when the winner was ... "The Belgians". I only even notice Bournemouth when they enjoy the privilege of playing against us.

Libby likes this.
  12. fran-MLs little camera

Don't think it confers status on them....isn't it used as a derogatory term because they are trying to be our rivals. Can't really dislike Bournemouth....am pleased to see them do well....as long as they know their place. Can't be a real rival if you wish them well and want to pat them on their head....none of us would like to see them in financial problems. Though Howe may be right....a real rivalry may arise the more we play each other.

Saints_Alive likes this.
  13. Missing Lambo

But as A A Gill said of Rolf Harris, we can try!

Maybe it's because I don't live in the area, but I don't get the love-in with that lot.

14. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

You make too much of it. It's not a love-in, otherwise it would indeed be reciprocated. It's an admiration. A club that was out on its feet, in League Two, made the climb to the Premier League through playing better football than those clubs around them, and are now holding their own. There's much to admire. And besides, it's another club from the South Coast in the top tier. Now we need Brighton to get themselves promoted too.

And incidentally, whether we consider AFCB rivals or not, they are.

Missing Lambo likes this.
  15. fran-MLs little camera

I liked the moment on Sky when it was put to the panel to say who would finish higher Bournemouth or Southampton....Southampton was the prompt reply (and no, Tiss didn't get in first). May not be true....who honestly knows in football....but I liked the fact that we have achieved some status in football. My life is lived in small triumphs. :)

TheSecondStain likes this.
  16. Missing Lambo

Thank you, SS. Eloquently put, and I feel I've got it. Of course they are rivals. Every team in the Prem are our rivals!

17. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Steven Davis' goal against Tottenham is up there.

Libby and TheSecondStain like this.
  18. TheSecondStain

That last bit wasn't specifically aimed at you, but something I read up the thread. But it ought to be a general reminder that anyone competing in the same league is our rival.

19. TheSecondStain

I find myself wishing that the 3-1 away win against Chelsea was in the year, not just the season. I suppose it has to be 3-2 against Liverpool, but I don't want to. It builds up Liverpool, and they don't deserve that, and besides, we should be beating any team at home anyway. Un-looked for away wins are much more my glass of whisky. This season's 3-0 against WHU at London was very sweet.

20. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

The 3-2 against Liverpool, for sure. Beating Everton comfortably (in terms of performance if not scoreline) was thoroughly satisfying as well.