1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Favourite Match in Premier League Era

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Jan 1, 2017.

?

Favourite match

1. SPURS 4 VILLA 4 October 2007

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. SPURS 9 WIGAN 1 November 2009

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. SPURS 2 ARSENAL 1 April 2010

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. SHEFFIELD WED 3 SPURS 4 Aug 1995

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ARSENAL 2 SPURS 3

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. SPURS 4 MAN UTD 1 January 1996

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. SPURS 5 CHELSEA 3 January 2015

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Was chatting about my favourite spurs matches in the premier league era with my daughters.
    Have drawn up a list of my favourite five and have added a poll.
    If people like the thread and want other matches added I am happy to do so.
    If you suggest others try and give a reason...can be for personal or footballing reasons.
    Here are my five to get us started.

1) 125 match v Villa. October 2007
    Took a mate of mine to that match. Her dad (a life long spur) had died a month before and I managed to get an obituary in the programme them.
    Then there was the actual match...
    4-1 down with 20 mins to go and still manage to get a 4 all draw! Am so lucky to have been at such a historic and memorable match

2) Sheffield Utd August 2006
    Won 2 nil...Berbatov scored his first spurs goal and it was the first time I took both my daughters (aged 3 and 8 at the time) to a spurs match. Sounds silly but taking my children to a spurs match was something I was always set on doing since I was a kid so it was a special evening for me.

3) Wigan November 2009
    Went with my girls for my eldests 12th birthday.
    I had been boring them stupid for years with tales of the 9 nil win over Bristol Rovers...to have seen this match with my girls was fantastic. Seeing us score 9 and Defoe getting 5 was magical for us.
    I was texting a mate as we scored and he got my texts about goals 7 and 8 after he got the text about goal 9...he thought I was winning him up!

4) Arsenal April 2010
    Winning 2-1 against them made us believe we could finish in the top 4.
    Was lucky enough to be there and saw Danny Rose score THAT volley on his debut. It was our first league victory over them in 10 years!
    But the major reason I chose this was because in the 36 years of going to Spurs and 43 years of watching them on tv whenever I could I have never seen such a brilliant goalkeeping display as the one put on by Gomes that night. Two of his saves from RVP and his save onto the bar from a Judas header were simply world class.

5) Sheffield Wed August 1995
    Sometimes we can forget just how **** the 1990s were on and off the pitch. Gross, Bloke in a Coat, selling Ginola, being battered by 6 goals by Sheff Utd and Chelsea, losing by 7 to Newcastle, never coming above 8th, fighting relegation etc.
    But for one season we had a good team ... played exciting football and we dared to believe that a corner had been turned. It obviously all went spursy but us beating Wednesday away 4-3 with Jurgen Klinsmann scoring on his debut and then doing his dive celebration seems like a couple of years ago rather than being over 21 years ago!

2. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Are we just talking league games here? If not, then I'd have the Cup final win against Chelsea, I think.
    Horrible record against them, went behind and still won.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  3. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

2-3 against the Goons must be up there. When we knew we could really compete, Kabooooom!

Also 5-3 v Chelsea. When this team came alive.

4. There are a few options, mostly in the last 6 years it must be said, although some of those games with Keano and Berbs in their pomp take some beating. But sometimes its the circumstances that you see a game that makes it all the more memorable. (Bit like the first time you hear a song :emoticon-0100-smile)

So the win at the Library has my vote - as I was a guest of a Gooner debenture holder with a box seat, 3 course lunch and loads of booze - which rather influenced my behaviour from being quiet and deferential (0-2) to thinking 'what the hell' and jumping and screaming (by 3-2) and insulting the Goonersaurus mascot! <laugh>

And also in that category is the Villa away game Boxing Day 2012. Brilliant all round performance wrapped up by a sumptuous Bale hat trick. And I was watching it at in the early hours from a Shanghai hotel room!

COYS!!

Edit:: Feck it - sorry RCL - just saw the voting panel for the 4 games!! I'll get my coat...... <laugh>

5. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Spurs 4 Man Utd 1, New Year's Day 1996
    Whenever another journalist brings up Roy Keane's "Lads, it's Tottenham" jibe, this is my go-to response: they may have been missing players yet so were we, yet with Nethercott starting at the back and a central midfield of Darren Caskey and Judas Iscariot we thumped them 4-1

6. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

I liked the Southampton 2 Spurs 6 match from 1995 because I was away skiing in Austria the time. Everyone else went out on the piste but I stayed in the hotel to watch it. After being 2-0 down at half time I was really depressed that I'd wasted my evening. In the end it made the second half that much more glorious. Surely the highlight of Rocket Ronnie's career?

Edit: ok it was an FA Cup match, but it was still in the premier league era.

7. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

And just in case anyone was thinking of another big score against Southampton:

8. remembercolinlee

Added in the Arsenal match in the poll.

Nearly put it in but it didn't make my final cut.
    Love the idea of you abusing the gooner mascot <laugh>

9. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

So many spring to mind but has to be the 1-0 win up at City that secured Champions League football for the first time. I went to the game; had tears in my eyes when Ledley and Daws gathered the team into the 'scrum' before kick off. Was openly weeping when the final whistle went. I just couldn't believe it. Such an amazing performance and Harry got his selection and tactics spot-on. The fact that it was against a team assembled at the cost of over £200m on their own turf made it all the more special. For the first time in decades, I could seriously hold my head high as a Spurs fan. Despite hiccoughs along the way since, that game heralded a new era at the club, and we have been steadily building on it (learning from mistakes along the way) ever since.

Please forgive the horrendous backing track, and the sight of David Bentley dancing in a jockstrap.

10. remembercolinlee

And the Chelsea one!

11. Apparently, I got to have my pic took with it and called the big green lump a 'Rhinosoreass' as they'd just been ****ed by the Spurs!! (Unfortunately by that stage my memory of the afternoon is starting to fade lol)

12. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

Not necessarily on topic, but...

The Changing Man likes this.
  13. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

As a neutral, the 4-4 v Arsenal was great. It f***ed up their title challenge as I recall - a real bonus.

14. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

Fantastic thread and they are all great matches. They all conjure up great memories and I would gladly sit through any of them any time. I also have great memories of the 2-6 saints FA Cup win, I was watching the match in the pub with my brother and as Ronnie was being prepared I said to him sarcastically that its OK Ronnies coming on and he will score us a hat-trick! - how we laughed

My personal favourite is the 3-4 at the Boleyn with Paul Stalteri scoring the winner with just about the last touch (I just hate the spammers!) and we do love a last minute goal against them.

15. remembercolinlee

<laugh>

16. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Waaaay too many, sorry RCL I don't have one favourite, I have about twenty <laugh>

Those I've been too:

Spurs 6-4 Reading - What a crazy game, goals galore and Berba hit four.

Spurs 4-4 Villa - 125th Anniversary, started well, went terrible and then pulled it back at the death. Despite it being a draw, it was a truly memorable night and one deserving of such a big occasion for the club.

Spurs 2-1 Arsenal - Had the net not been there for Rose's shot, it may have reached me to where I could've headed it. Bale's goal was slick and Gomes pulled off some world class saves to keep us in the lead.

Spurs 9-1 Wigan - Chances are I'll never see Spurs hit as many goals in a competitive game as we did that day, JD with an incredible 5.

Spurs 3-0 Utd - Six minutes was pure madness, it was as if we'd put all of our recent misfortune at home to Utd into that small period.

Spurs 4-1 West Ham - If I remember rightly, the birth of "You're ****" (Hey Jude), loved singing that against them in their biggest game of the season, we were superb throughout and the celebrations down the pub were just as good.

Spurs 5-3 Chelsea - Great game of football, the scoreline flattered Chelsea though as we were superb but I suppose with Fazio in the side, it's near enough giving a goal or two head start anyway.

Spurs 3-2 West ham - We actually played so below par in that game but the sheer fact we scored an 89th minute equaliser and then 91st minute winner to completely break their hearts was just superb, Winksy getting his first PL goal in first PL start was also a great moment.

Villa 1-2 Spurs - Another game in which we weren't great but it was the birth of Harry Kane so to speak, he'd been doing well in Europa and at 55 mins or so we were bellowing out for his name, he came on and hit that last minute freekick (albeit massively deflected) to win the game, we went mental in the away stand, journey home was awesome, Spurs fans just flogged the trains and were going mental.

Palace 1-3 Spurs - A very decent game of football but to have witnessed live THAT goal by Alli was unreal, it really did seem to go in slow motion and the celebrations were coupled with just a state of shock as to what we'd just seen. Chadli's goal to kill it off was also special!

West Ham 0-1 Spurs - ERIC DIER, HAS WON IT ON HIS DEBUT! To have been down to ten men then see Noble miss the pen and still push on for that winner just showed immediately the mentality that Poch wanted his players to have. The celebration scenes were something I'll never forget - my Cousin had about a 10 inch tear in his shorts from where he jumped up and off his seat <laugh>

WBA 3-3 Spurs - A shocking first 30 minutes or so, 3-0 down and I remember thinking to myself I just wished I stayed in London and watched it in a pub or on my laptop. Getting a 94th minute equaliser though was crazy and made it a memorable away day, even if it was just a point gained.

Charlton 0-2 Spurs - Think it might have been my first Prem away game and it was a surreal one, being at an opposition team's ground when you relegate them is a crazy feeling. Two superb goals though, especially that one by Berba, one of the best I've seen.

Games I wasn't at ( :( ):

Spurs 4-1 City - Was on holiday so gave my Cousin my ticket, watched it in a pub by the seafront and was gutted I couldn't be there after the battering we put on them.

West Ham 3-4 Spurs - Doesn't need much explanation, does it? What. A. Game. What. A. Result.

Arsenal 2-3 Spurs - See above.

West ham 1-2 Spurs - That Bale strike to win us the game... Wow. Last minute winners against them is just basically the norm.

City 0-1 Spurs - CROUCHY!!! CHAMPIONS LEAGUE!!! WOOHOO!!!

There's definitely more, though my brain isn't fully functioning at the moment, first day back at work an' all. <ok>

17. Alliareyouokay

Alliareyouokay Active Member

Wimbledon 2-6 Spurs in 1997.

Not necessarily the best game ever, but it was my first ever away day at the age of 6 or 7 and I finally got to see what this Klinsmann bloke was all about, as I was too young to remember him the first time around!

18. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

19. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

I don't know, was it as orgasmic as the 5-1 pasting we gave them in the Carling Cup?

20. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

The look on JT's face was priceless. What was he thinking? "I'm not even good enough to get in this team of 11 useless ****s" or "I wonder how I'd get on with chinese pussy".

Spur of the Moment likes this.