1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Fascinating times........

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by bcfcredandwhite, Apr 18, 2017.

1. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

So, we now have a General Election to look forward to!

Humour me if you will; imagine if all the 'remainers' (or 'remoaners' if you like) turned out in large numbers and voted Tim Fallon's Lib Dems in - the Lib Dems have stated in their manifesto that they would reverse Brexit - what then? The Brexit vote being halved by the Tories and the Labour party.

It isn't going to happen - is it? - but neither was Trump - or Brexit!!

Fascinating times indeed - politics just got interesting again!!!

2. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Genuinely not a clue who I'd vote for. Slight reasons to vote for all of them and ****loads of reasons not to vote for those same people.

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  3. Red Hub

Red Hub Active Member

As they say Rob it does'nt matter who you vote for the government always gets in.

4. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Labour are unelectable......I cant see the point of the election other than confirming the Tories remaining in power ?

There wont/cant be a 2nd Brexit Referendum or a reversal to a democratic vote, no matter how badly the Out Party and In Party performed can there ?

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  5. bcfcredandwhite

The point is that the Tories are 20+ points ahead in the opinion polls but only have a small majority in the commons, meaning that their policies - particularly Brexit ones - are at risk of being blocked. If (as looks likely) they win with a landslide then they will not need to worry about that any more - plus they will 'reset the clock' and can look forward to 5 years in power, seeing Brexit through to its end and beyond.
    The Labour party is finished - plus Corbyn is a Brexit supporter anyway, so for the remainers (and don't forget, although the Brexiteers won the referendum, over 45% of the voters voted remain - that's a lot of people) the Lib Dems are the last (and only) resort.
    It's massively unlikely, but if the Lib Dems actually won, that would pitch the 2 pillars of democracy against each other - a democratic referendum versus an elected government, elected upon their policies and promises!!!

As I said, highly unlikely - what is more likely is that the Tories get exactly what they want. The interesting bit will be how well/badly Labour does under Corbyn.

6. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Have to say we have a leader that is their for the people,the people believe in her so far. The Tories will win a landslide victory.

Labour is not electable in any way.

On Sunday the Mail suggested TM would not trigger a vote,and she would go at the end of the term.
    How wrong they were.
    She is in it for the long term.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  7. BCFCRob

Theresa May 'there for the people' - incredible, tell that to anyone working in the NHS.

Unfortunately you're spot on about Labour though.

8. Red Robin

My son is third year at Leeds Uni doing Medicine

<laugh><laugh><laugh>

9. bcfcredandwhite

Theresa May is unfortunately the only Statesperson between Corbin and her - although I don't rate her very highly either. Not a patch on Thatcher (who domestically I hated, but internationally I admired).
    This is Tim Fallons gifted chance to boost the Lib Dems into second place and provide a viable opposition whilst Corbin and his Trotsky-ites destroy the Labour Party.
    I sound like I'm a Lib Dem fan - I'm not, but I like every government to be held to account by a strong opposition. Corbyn is pathetic. Nice bloke maybe but not a leader.

10. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

BREXIT AFTER ARTICLE 50 IS IRREVERSIBLE

11. bcfcredandwhite

Where did you read that? Katie Hopkins in the Daily Mail perhaps?

I don't think it is - but nobody knows - it's never been invoked before - or retracted before.

12. BCFCRob

Fair fooking play to him. But you should certainly know about the cuts in that case. Or you may well do eventually.

Red Robin likes this.
  13. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

Comments made in an exchange when Nigel Farage had a go at the Brussels lot, one of the "members stated once article 50 is submitted then there is no turning back and you have to take what is finally taken/given"

14. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Didn't Nigel say something like get off your fat arses and get a real job?

15. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Once it's been invoked, you will need to apply and be voted back into the EU by the other members, regardless that it's still in the cooling off period.
    People are forgetting that Theresa May herself never voted to Brexit herself, she is just going along with what the public voted.

16. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Meanwhile on the front line ...

I am in to my second decade working in the field of Mental health/Learning disabilities for charities and the NHS.

The Tories are no friend of the NHS and in particular social care. Social care services are poorer now v the Labour party in power.

BCFCRob likes this.
  17. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Then he's not in the NHS then is he?
    Wait till he's been working for a year or two then ask him his opinion.

18. Red Robin

He goes on site and goes into operations,surgeries,X-rays,just been at Huddersfield hospital for a week last week.
    Hands on.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  19. Shinycitylad7

Shinycitylad7 Looking at the stars mate

Bet it's Bupa.

It's common knowledge how understaffed and how poorly ran the NHS is RR. No doubt you buy the sun and shout at mosques on a daily though.

RedorDead likes this.
  20. BCFCRob

My best friend as well as my Mum are both nurses, and both of their hours have shot up with no equivalent rise in pay, so basically doing more work for the same money. Unfortunately stretching the NHS to breaking point provides the Tories with more ammunition to justify privatisation.