1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

FAO any plasterers

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Amin Yapusi, Jul 12, 2017.

1. pierredelafranchesca

pierredelafranchesca Well-Known Member

Having over the past 2 years dicked around on my f****ng wife's orders with a number of bloody rooms in our house, stripping paper etc. for redecoration I've found that the best, though most expensive and painstakingly filthy solution, to be to take all the plaster off back to the brick and to start again. If there are other parts of the wall which sound 'hollow' when you tap on them, basically the old plaster is a ****ed and has come away from the brick, it's not a massive problem to leave it on and re paper over it, but, if you're going to be staying there for a long time and have a nagging wife who demands you buy a house with character then moans about lumpy ****ing walls, taking the hit, removing the old plaster using new boards and skimming it is the best solution.

2. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

the best option is to hire a plasterer... you cheapskate

it'll save you money on paying yourself in the long run

3. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

<laugh>

The vast majority of the wall is actually ok. There is a patch higher up where the skim has come off the base layer which I will probably sort out as well, you can feel it wobbling as you press it. What's easy for a plaster virgin to skim a decent sized section with? That thistle multi finish stuff or could I get away with using easifill or something?

I've plenty experience with car body filler and normal wall filler. obviously this is very different but I reckon I can pull it off.

4. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

if you don't do it right you will easily be able to pull it of!

5. Chilton's Hundreds

Chilton's Hundreds Well-Known Member

What ? Not even Italian plaster ?

<laugh>

Chazz Rheinhold likes this.
  6. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

Is it me or are the jokes on here really **** today? Have people been watching Peter Kay dvds?

7. Amin Yapusi

In fact I've just pulled off all the loose ****. This is the wall, patch at top and bottom. Also a little bit along where the skirting was, you can see in the paint line where its come away. As its upstairs the plaster can go right down to the floor near enough can't it?

IMG_1414.JPG

8. Amin Yapusi

Good point. Whilst your here bummers you can tell me how to change the water pressure sensor in my italian ferroli piece of **** boiler.

9. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

Funnily enough I can tell you a few things about old Italian boilers...

10. DJBlackandamberarmy(No4)

DJBlackandamberarmy(No4) Well-Known Member

I don't Know anything about plaster but can tell you , that you need a new boiler ASAP <laugh>

Amin Yapusi and dennisboothstash like this.

11. Des Head

Des Head Well-Known Member

Your method will work. Get a bag of Thistle Multi-Finish plaster (£6.25) and as you won't need loads you can mix what you need with a cheap trowel (£5) in a builders tub (£4). If there's big gaps around your plasterboard (£4 or £5) use scrim tape (£2.50) to cover the gaps. PVA glue (£1) all around the board and the edges of the old exposed plaster. (Mix the glue with water if you haven't enough.) Get a thin smooth wooden batten (£3 or £4) long enough to cover the area you're plastering and after you've slapped your plaster on, use that to smooth it over and get it level with the old plaster. Use some sandpaper (£1) to smooth the edges when it's dry if you need to or leave it and pretend it's characterful. When the plaster's gone light pink, just bang a load more watery PVA all over it, let it dry, then paper away.

£25 or so and you get to keep the builders tub. I must point out that I am not a plasterer but have adequately bodged a lot of stuff.

Also, a swastika dated 1941 probably means your house is cursed and definitely means it's as haunted as ****.

12. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

Knock the wall down, I bet there's a little room behind it with a little girl in it, writing a diary.I bet she's starving.

The swastika will have just been a red herring to get the bad guys off the scent.

Amin Yapusi likes this.
  13. BlackAndAmberGambler

BlackAndAmberGambler Well-Known Member

Your biggest mistake was not getting rid of the wife.

Amin Yapusi and Howden Tigress like this.
  14. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator