1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Fans Player of the Season

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Surlyc, May 30, 2017.

1. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

So it seems the club are announcing the top three in reverse order, so let's start with the number three...

Kevin McDonald

"Kevin McDonald’s debut campaign at Fulham has culminated in a third place finish in the fan vote for Player of the Season.

The midfielder has been a virtual ever present in the side, starting 45 of the Whites’ 48 Sky Bet Championship matches, only missing out when he served a three-game ban following a red card against Bristol City.

Primarily operating as the anchor of a three man central midfield, McDonald’s impact in fixtures this season has been nothing short of vital.

A master of winning the ball back, he ended the campaign having made 65 tackles, 86 interceptions, and 22 blocks, while he also came out on top of 239 duels. That said, he can play too, as his average pass accuracy of 86.5 per cent demonstrates.

His contributions allow the more attacking members of the team to thrive, but he also chips in offensively and was involved in six goals in 2016/17, scoring three and setting up the same amount for his colleagues.

A very respectable 11.7 per cent of fans thought McDonald was Fulham’s best player this season, and you can see why in his highlights reel below."

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/may/30/player-of-the-season-third-place

Thoroughly deserved, in my opinion. I fully expect the top three to be our midfield trio and McDonald had a pivotal role (no pun intended) in allowing us to play. Great signing and top player.

2. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Travesty!

No doubt Cairney will get the number 1 spot and hopefully that will make him loved enough to stay. But Johansen over McDonald for second place? Nope! Johansen has had some brilliant moments but he's equally had at least two very quiet spells, each lasting a number of games. McDonald on the other hand has been 'Mr Consistency' throughout and the unsung hero who allowed the others time and space to get the headlines (and admittedly quite a few goals).

Suppose it's a daft enough possibility that Malone has been voted into second.

PS Yes, Kevin McDonald got my POTY vote.

3. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

It could also be Aluko, of course.

I admit I voted for Cairney. I am a big fan of McDonald, but Cairney just looked so good this year,

4. Cottager58

5. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

I would have put McDonald ahead of Johansen, as Johansen had a few quiet spells mixed with the fantastic whereas McDonald burned less bright but was very consistent.

Of course neither was even in our squad a year ago, so I can't really complain!

6. Cottager58

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  7. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

A lot of strong candidates (at last). Personally I voted for Kalas, but there's a case for everyone mentioned above, plus possibly Sessegnon.