1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Fans know **** all

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Toss saints, Dec 18, 2016.

1. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Because of his injury, Jay is having to adapt and maybe play in a different way prior to his injury. It is interesting to see the top strikers in the world adapt like Ronaldo who no longer goes on surging runs past the full back as he previously did at Old Trafford and in his earlier years at Real. Likewise, Suarez who is playing a quite different role to the one he was asked to do at Liverpool, so Jay is having to evolve his game, and good luck to the player.

2. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Well-Known Member

People are entitled to slag off millionair footballers. Lots of people slated Yoshida, some like myself didn't, but I'm not going to start gloating. He could make a total cock up next week. Jay Rod could miss a sitter next week just like he did vs Stoke and this thread will be here to bite you in the ass.

garysfc and Munson owns Fosse like this.
  3. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

As an ex-forward, attacking midfielder, defensive midfielder (I got slower as I aged) I'm quite happy with my own opinion of what sparks off real confidence.

4. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

One swallow doesn't make a summer comes to mind. Well done for having confidence in yourself to see through what others didn't, I'm pleased to see he has scored 2 goals, and I hope it carries on.

This is kind of like the media, Man U win a game and they are back, then they lose the next and mourinho should be worried about his job.

Clem Fandango likes this.
  5. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

Confidence comes from not caring about or giving a **** what other people think of what you say or do. They teach you that at Public School and at Eton.

6. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Oh. Sorry I questioned it :(

PS. I used to be a left back, midfielder, then forward. I went further up the pitch as I got slower.

PPS. You'd have lost your strikers union card the moment you dropped back.

#notaproperstriker :)

7. fatletiss

And some political parties...

8. TheSecondStain

No, that's OK FLT. But you strike me [sorry] as a striker who never really suffered a lack of confidence anyway. Whereas the professional and non-professional [and even lower] leagues are littered with strikers who couldn't regain what they once had. Occasionally one went in off a bum or shin, but then their goal drought continued for ages. An example just popped into my head - Marek Saganowski. Couldn't buy a goal. One went in off somewhere but it made no difference. I think the pressure got to him. But it's happened to Torres, Falcao, etc... Torres can't even claim an injury got in the way, like JayRod.!

As for playing positions, I have to admit that the only two I didn't play were GK and LB. I played CB once and was rubbish. Kept wandering upfield trying to get involved. :)

9. fatletiss

I have been through some droughts, don't worry :(

I actually played in goal once. Most scary 90 minutes ever. It was an FA Trophy game. It was like watching a film of "carry On Goal Keeping"

Archers Road likes this.
  10. TheSecondStain

Bloody hell.! I think there's enough devil in me to have liked to have watched that. <devil>

I only ever played in goal occasionally during practice for freekicks [perversely, as I was the main free-kick taker, I didn't need the practice, apparently - work that one out]. I certainly didn't like those footballs raining in at me. Of course, this was in the days of bare hands too. Thin gloves were an option when it was wet. I think I was just there to fetch the balls out of the net quickly.

Incidentally, I notice Fraser [and other modern keepers] often isn't able to catch the ball. I put it down to those thick gloves. Tbf, Artur plucked a cross out of the air on Sunday, and he was wearing the de rigeur thick gloves.

11. Shepherd's Clearing

Shepherd's Clearing Well-Known Member

Every week I played it was like 'Carry On Goalkeeping' then when I occasionally moved up just one level it was 'Carry On Scoring'.

So Junior and Sunday Morning football is where I stayed.

Really frustrating when nearly all of your mates are actually quite good at football - you end playing for any team because you never know any of the players before you start any way. Normally it was the teams who couldn't get anyone to play in goal...

My only cup winners medal game has just been transferred from VHS to digital too - Kings Arms vs Hospital Sports - Minnows Cup Final! So some old gentlemen are going to get a surprise link to a video on the Interweb this Christmas.

12. Shepherd's Clearing

Shepherd's Clearing Well-Known Member

Those thick gloves have special rubber on them - make them wet and the ball sticks to them like glue, honestly. They improved my limited play for a few years, until I got older and slower and even more rubbish, then a wall wouldn't have helped me keep clean sheets.

I too remember when I first played in goal wearing no gloves unless it rained.

fatletiss and TheSecondStain like this.
  13. fatletiss

There was a video of the game. Maybe Fran knows some old stalwarts at Newport (IOW) who could track it down.

14. Lff

Lff Well-Known Member

I like Jay, although I have always thought that one of the reasons he was so good before his injury was because he played alongside a very generous colleague who created many chances for him when others would have shot themselves (Lambert).
    Your words have meaning though but you need to carry on applying them in the sense that 'one game does not a swallow make' or whatever the phrase is! In other words lets see if he can continue his recent '2 goals a game' form.

I think he will.

15. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Our recent goal famine hasn't been due to a lack of chances created, but an inability to finish them off! Now that Jay's confidence has had that boost on Sunday, hopefully he'll be banging them in for fun from now on.

KillerCephalopod and Toss saints like this.
  16. TheSecondStain

Indeed. In fact I believe we are something like the 2nd or 3rd highest in chances created. Definitely lowest in conversion. I'll go as far to say that we could be Top 4 [certainly Top 6] if we had kept our strikers from last season, or replaced them properly. Here's hoping Jay has properly found his instinct.

17. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

Something about a swallow. A season that comes after spring. The former does not equal the latter.

Pleased for jay and hope he does get back to his best but this is a crap thread.

18. TheSecondStain

Really? The premise is that fans know **** all. Which is true, on the whole. Simply because we're not sat in on policy, strategy and the day to day stuff.

19. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Luckily....as Saints would end up with 300 players based on their performance in video highlights, a half-empty 50K stadium, and a managerial change every few months. However, we would have decent grub in the concourse. :)

20. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

But fans don't know **** all. For all we know the club may have tried to offload him in the summer or Jan. Clubs occasionally let a player go as they think he's not up to it (take a bow mr lambert).
    I just don't like all these derisory comments about fans, sure there are some bellends out there, but some of us are clever people. Of course we only see a glimpse. I was not expecting jay to score and had mentally written jay off but am so so pleased for him. Always rooted for him and won't hear a bad word about him. But just because I wouldn't have put him 1st on the sheet it doesn't mean I know **** all.