1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Fan Blog - Not What You Would Really Call Progress.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, May 8, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Bristol City fan's column: It has been another topsy-turvy season and it was Tammy Abraham who came up with the goods

Bristol City fan and Post columnist Matthew Withers gives his assessment of the 2016/17 season at Ashton Gate

So after 46 games in the 2016/2017 Championship season Lee Johnson's side finished one place and two points better off than last season. Not what you would really call progress.

It’s been another topsy-turvy season and in all honesty without the huge impact that Tammy Abraham has made this season with his 23 league goals, there is no doubt that we would be playing League One football next season.

In October we were in 5th place following a 2-1 win at home against Nottingham Forest but a club record run of defeats in December and January saw us slide down the table and into trouble.

After a 5-0 reverse away at Preston North End we were in 21st place and only outside the relegation zone by a single point. The manner of that defeat saw in change in formation and personnel and we went on an unbeaten run of 5 games, winning four which was enough to maintain our Championship status.

I never saw that run of form coming but what it showed is that we weren’t a terrible side. We have competed in the vast majority of games this season and had we been able to hold onto a lead, we would have been comfortable in mid-table

Lee Johnson will, I’m sure, learn from this season. He has to. I think if we have a similar run of defeats next season, owner Steve Lansdown would not be so supportive. So what needs to improve? Recruitment is massive this summer. Johnson wants a smaller squad to work with and so he has to ensure that players of the necessary quality are brought in.

I cannot see any possibility of Tammy Abraham returning next season, a Premiership club like Brighton, Bournemouth or Newcastle is most likely his destination. With Aaron Wilbraham out of contract and Gustav Engvall out of favour City need to sign 2 or 3 strikers. The goalkeeping position is an interesting one, Frank Fielding finished the season (aside from missing today’s game with injury) as the Number 1 but I’m not sure Johnson is convinced by Frankie.

Fabian Giefer hasn’t really taken his chance although for me was Man of the Match against Birmingham. Max O’Leary and Ivan Lucic are both young and so Johnson may look for a new custodian.

Mark Little is out of contract and despite his undoubted effort and love of the club for me is not good enough for the Championship.

Adam Matthews will rightly return to Sunderland and therefore a right back is a must. Scott Golbourne will I think move on which leaves Joe Bryan as the only recognised left sided full back. It is hugely important that City hold on to Aden Flint but if a big money bid from a Premiership club comes in I would expect Aden to go.

please log in to view this image

Tammy Abraham of Bristol City films the Bristol City fans chanting his name
    Hordur Magnusson was another player who seemingly fell out of favour and so a centre back is another position that will be needed. The midfield needs strengthening. Gary O’Neil is injured too much and I would expect him to move on. Dave Cotterill will return to Birmingham and I don’t expect City to try and make the move permanent.

We need more pace in the side and especially out wide. Youngsters like Callum O’Dowda, Josh Brownhill, Jamie Paterson and Bobby Reid will all have learned a lot this year and will be better for it next year.

Whilst it has been a struggle this season of the top six, City beat Brighton, Huddersfield and Fulham and should have beaten Newcastle, Reading and Sheffield Wednesday, throwing away decent winning positions. It shows that we aren’t a million miles away. We need to concentrate on establishing ourselves in the Championship next season, avoiding any struggles. It won’t be any easier, big clubs the like of Sunderland, Sheffield United and Bolton Wanderers will be in the league.

My final words this season have to go to the Bristol City fans. By and large they have been incredible this season. I hope everyone has a great summer and I’m already counting down the days until August.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-fans-column-been-48098

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I agree with this ~

' So after 46 games in the 2016/2017 Championship season Lee Johnson's side finished one place and two points better off than last season. Not what you would really call progress.'

Plus a £15m plus spend, Tammy Abraham and 30 plus turn around in new signings club wide.

3. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Tammy kept us in this league almost single handed. He will be almost impossible to replace.

Big clubs like Sheffield United and Bolton Wanderers will be in the league.

Personally I would be more concerned with the likes of Norwich, Leeds, and Derby plus whoever doesn't go up from the Playoffs this season than Sheffield Utd or Bolton ! And Middlesbrough etc.

4. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

There doesn't seem a lot or many sides that will necessarily struggle- Burton did very well and whilst we dont know fully who else with join us, its fair to say that whichever 2 of Middlesbro, Hull or Swansea it is will be strong and have money and then its either Bradford or Millwall coming up.

What we dont want to be is a Rotherham who did well to stay up last year but then couldn't maintain it in the next season.

5. Angelicnumber16

I quite agree. I'd expect Forest under Warburton, QPR, Birmingham, and Wolves to have much better seasons next time around.

Burton will probably be favourites to go down again, along with Millwall or Bradford, but it could be a very even division in the lower half of the table. Unless they invest, Bolton and Sheffield United may well be among the favourites to go straight back down too.

gdknac likes this.
  6. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

biggerIt has been a poor season overall, and whilst I was never a LEE OUT man I went along with the "plan" and was prepared for the worst should we have been relegated.
    it was intimated that we were embarking on an era where it was allowed to run, it would take more than one season and the foundations had to be laid. [ IF YOU LOOK BACK AT OUR DIV 1 SUCCESS THEN YOU CAN SEE PART OF THE PLAN WAS BEING INSTRUMENTED ]
    The investment in youth being just part of it, like the metre of concrete or so put in to start the foundations..... the back room staff manager etc bricks before the dampcourse....... and the team will then be upon the damp course which is the pitch/league/games.
    I am not sure what my stance will be next season..other than hell or high water I will remain a staunch BRISTOL CITY SUPPORTER, because Bristol city football club is bigger/ better than any individual be they groundstaff,player or admin/management.
    I will shortly be posting the result of "where do you expect City/ league positions to be " I said 6th so am very disappointed.. the majority went for double figure postions..they must all be happy!!!!!!

I should like to say thanks for all posts positive negative for or against and all the subjects we have covered I guess the last game is the end of the season for us BRISTOL CITY not 606 posters, and today is DAY 1 of our new season ... so enjoy only 364 days to go........................<cheers> <hug> <cheers> <hug> <cheers>

manxrobin likes this.
  7. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Bristol City are always talking about the building plan to make us a better team for the future and yet the building blocks are constantly falling by the wayside and this season is yet another example of our ineptitude in getting things right. Lee was a disgraceful appointment pointing to the fact that Lansdown isn't willing to listen to reason from anybody with an ounce of football in them and so the saga will continue next season, and it will continue down the same path ad nauseum. There comes a point in your life where you decide to throw in the towel, and say enough is enough, and I don't want to listen to the same promises year after year.

I will continue to keep my eye on my team but that's about it for me and I would be remiss in not thanking the great people who run this site for the enjoyment of the faithful. Your chats over the years have been a great part of my life out here on the west coast but this year something went awry and it doesn't feel the same anymore and so I will be on the sidelines possibly for next time out.

Have a great summer one and all and I hope that your dreams for your club become reality sometime soon. Thanks guys.

Red Robin and manxrobin like this.
  8. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I understand your observations Mike, there are quite a few of us following the same trail as you, we are fed up with the rubbish we are being spoon fed, in fact for the first time since my son was in primary school and he is now in his early thirties I have not got us a season card/ticket and I won't be attending any games next season, I've had enough of the bullshit and promises, I am not foolish enough to think my family staying away will have any effect but it suits us.

Also I'm sorry you are going to give 606 a miss and stand on the sidelines but I do understand, I have been involved with the development of our site for 6 years now but I feel my time is up and I am standing down, you may see me stood on the metaphorical sidelines with you in a couple of weeks but I thankyou for your valued contributions which I and many others I am sure enjoyed.

Have a good summer mate and don't forget Up the City..

manxrobin likes this.
  9. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Genuine thanks Wiz from me, and we all know we will always be Bristol City deep within our psyche.

10. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

The fanbase has been split this season.

11. Angelicnumber16

A lot of us feel the same disconnection with the club and the way it's been/being run under the banner of Bristol Sport, especially this season.

Don't be a stranger Mike, you're one of the most level headed and pragmatic posters on here and I've always enjoyed reading your comments and sense of reason.

Red Robin and gdknac like this.