1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Fair Play Lansdown & Johnson

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Shinycitylad7, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Shinycitylad7

Shinycitylad7 Looking at the stars mate

You know what, fair play. Lansdown you could have bucked under what was incredible pressure from fans to sack LJ. You stuck by your guns and he's managed to do it. Other clubs have sacked their managers in hope it will save them, Birmingham, Forest, Wigan, Blackburn and Rotherham. They've all failed. The 2 teams who stuck by their manager, us and Burton have pulled clear. Perhaps that is the way forward now....

On to next season! All the best to Johnson, here's hoping this 3rd window he was talking about is the magic number and we're celebrating at the right end next year.

2. TampaBayBCFC

TampaBayBCFC Active Member

I think he's not the long term man for us but credit where credit is due, the last 5 games have seem some outstanding results. I thought we had an outside chance of a point today as the weight of expectation may cause Brighton to clam up. 3 points is simply a fantastic achievement, so well done to LJ and the boys.

Personally, I'd love to eat a big dose of humble pie if LJ turns out to be the manager that SL obliviously thinks he can be.

Next week will be a lot more enjoyable now. The teams below us are in for a pant soiling weekend......

3. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Well said Shiny....Many on here had us doomed just after Christmas, asking where the points were coming from......I think LJ & his players have dug deep & turned it around and like you say, well done for SL to stick by his guns and not bring in any ole manager for the sake of.

4. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

Great result.

Flint.. immense.

Taylor.. couldn't score in a brothel.

robin_unreliant and Supcon72 like this.
  5. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

An away win against the potential champions is indeed a great performance when you consider we went missing for the most part during what can only fairly be called a poor season. However we have seen our way through some difficult time and can rest in the knowledge that we will still be in the second tire next time out. Well done to the team and the travelling followers and we"ll wait and see where we go from here.

6. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

If results go our way next weekend we could finish as high as 15th, still lower than perhaps where we should be - I always saw as us being between 10-13th this season, but by no means the epic fail of a season that many on here are claiming!

7. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Pretty close though and only our recent form has kept us up this time. I wonder what changes the summer will bring?

8. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Lots of assists so far though and I have faith that he'll improve next season.

9. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

I don't, his first touch is poor, he gets knocked off the ball easily, offers no height advanatge. With Tammy highly unlikely to be at the Gate next season I don't see Taylor scoring the goals we need. Maybe he can be converted to a right sided midfielder/winger, todays swing and a miss from 7 yards shows the difference in class, Tammy would have buired that. In tight games those chances really count.

10. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

Fantastic result - well done to LJ

11. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Fair play indeed. There was several times this season that I expected to see that he had gone and in hindsight, its unlikely anyone would have got particularly better results at the end. Our last 11 were W 6 D 3 L 2. Got it right at the start and finish but a disastrous middle.
    Watching the football on Channel 5 last night and there was a hint that we were looking to get Tammy to stay. If we can pull that off, that really would be something.

12. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

I would be really surprised to see Tammy playing for us again. In fact I would go as far as saying I've more chance winning mastermind.
    However when we had Andy Cole on loan I would of probably said the same thing.

13. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

What a fantastic effort and a wonderful stadium.
    Our fans sang all through the game - I particularly enjoyed the bit when our fans were partying and the rest of the Amex was quiet - I almost felt sorry for the Brighton fans.
    The daughter's boyfriend was not pleased - he said it was the worst game he'd seen all season!!!
    The BBC stats are weird - I could swear we had more than 33% possession.
    As for fair play to SL and LJ, the way I see it they have successfully cleared up a mess of their own making. The real and final test begins in August.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  14. Alandicksthegreat

Alandicksthegreat Well-Known Member

Don't see many of the doom & gloomers on here, we must have had a good night, well done all concerned.

15. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

The days of incredible pressure are gone. Shareholders have no ability to affect the FC, Directors are employees Dawe apart, fans are more passive than they ever have been , and Bristol Sport wont even allow fans to put up banners apart from designated areas.

Bristol City have spent a record sum, with a super talented forward and secured Championship status at their penultimate match.

Its should be an embarrassment to the sham board how it ever got to that stage.

16. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Looking at last years end table we are going to be at least 2 points better off, could be 5 off compared to last season.
    The goal difference was -17 so we've stopped leaking and if it was not for the recent 5-0 drubbing we could of finished off with a possible plus difference (still could but unlikely)
    Abraham has been a revelation, but this time last season so was Kodjia.
    Tomlin was pulling the strings last season but played in all positions this season looking to fit him in. Once it was decided he's not a team player and goes missing the team has been better off not in it.
    We could finish as high as 15th which I would of took at the beginning as I thought higher was asking a bit.
    If we never lost those games in sequence, I guess it wouldn't look as bad as it was if we lost two won one etc.
    But the biggest difference I noticed was that the third bottom team last season finished on 40 points meaning safety was guaranteed a lot earlier. So we could breath easier than this season end.
    Hopefully LJ has learnt from his mistakes, still not convinced but climbing back onto the fence for now.

Oh well it's on to the time of the year when the same moaners complaining about Lansdown will no doubt demand he spends money again.

17. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

All Bristol City Fans I hope,will always stick together supporting our club, it is not the fault of any City fan that Lee Johnson has failed to give us the successful season he promised, he has not been our saviour, (as said) we just survived a humiliating relegation, with the investment of money he has had, the loanees at his disposal, the quality of players he inherited, we should have held our own in this league and been top half, he has split the fan base and even with the fabulous new stadium his only success is a drop in demand for season tickets of 5%, he is in my mind a total self denying failure.

We have just survived in this league, I believe we are all entitled to have and the right to express an opinion, I am looking forward to our progression towards Europe, being fast tracked into the Premier League and hope our £25m players succeed next season and I will respond next season upon Johnson Jnr and his promises, you can continue to think of me as a doomer and gloomer if you wish at least I'm not a happy clapper, a Lee Luvie or one of the sheep. I suppose I am a contrarian or a lone wolf, you can take your choice.

Incidentally, at the risk of repetition, I am truly glad we managed to maintain our status and want Bristol City FC to prosper, I support the club and always will but I choose the right to spend my own money in the direction of my own choise.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Red Robin likes this.
  18. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Gotta say if the young man had not been so inexperienced,early doors,then we may have seen the team cement a top six spot.
    However it did not,and that falls completely at the feet of SL.
    LJ has saved us from going down,in my book that is not a successful manager.
    However well done on that as relagation would have been a financial disaster.
    Yes he has earned a reprieve,however the first two months are his chance,if not has to go.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  19. Bigjohnatyeo

Bigjohnatyeo Well-Known Member

Well done LJ his staff & of course sir Steve Lansdown...some people dont realise how competitive the championship is...our club is in safe hands & the future very bright IMHO.

20. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

The sense of entitlement among the majority of football fans is absurd. I read through the match day thread on a Brighton forum and they were complaining how their side were 'bottlers' and the majority of their team needed replacing ahead of the Premiership - there were even some questioning Chris Hughton's ability. In my mind that's an ungrateful point of view for a season that, regardless of finishing 1st or 2nd, is their finest moment in decades. There's having high standards and wanting to maintain it, but that's ridiculous.

24 teams in the Division - only 3 can get promoted, and apparently even finishing 2nd is 'underachievement' for a side that haven't been in the top flight for 34 years. If all but maybe a handful of clubs have genuine aspirations of promotion at the start of the season, then there's an awful lot of failure going on.