1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Face it

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by SaintLapras, Jan 6, 2017.

1. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

and Ranieri in !! <laugh> <laugh> <laugh>

ImpSaint likes this.
  2. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Or at least have him do our press conferences. :)

3. Cardiff_Saint

Cardiff_Saint Active Member

Could equally say the top 5 are pointless, they can fight among themselves while the rest of us meaningful, down to earth clubs fight to finish higher than each other. Occasionally we can do one over on the big fish which is an unexpected surprise but then back to the real league work.

KillerCephalopod likes this.
  4. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

This is an interesting post and I think that the conclusions aren't too far adrift. I would imagine that the League Cup will eventually fizzle out and may merge with the former-JPT in some form. The influence of the Chinese is the biggest threat to the game with ridiculous money being offered for players. I think this will force some major changes with European football needing to meet this threat. This is a format I find difficult to understand as champions from foreign leagues that are equivalent to our League one or Championship making a bit of a mockery of things. I can see these types of teams being shunted out.

The comment about rotation is a good one and I think that the top teams will continue to snap up the better talent. This is why Southampton need to resist these changes as it will ultimately lead to the club being priced out of the market as we will not be able to accumulate squads of this size and won't play sufficient games to utilise them.

The one thing good about Portsmouth is that it has a greater share of community both in ownership and relation to the town. If they get promoted this year as is now looking increasingly likely, it will be a feather in the cap of the genuine supporter because the club is owned by the community. As amusing as it is to laugh at PFC, I quite admire their community-based ethos and the club having a connection with the city where the supporters have invested in the club. This is hugely romantic and appeals to my politics yet I doubt if this will ever get them in to the Championship. However, like capitalism itself, you wonder how long the current "money bags" attitude to football can continue and perhaps it will reach a saturation point. People have been arguing about this since the early 1990s but I am not convinced that we are anywhere near a tipping point where there is a small league for the biggest clubs in Europe and everything else reverts to a more parochial level.

If anything, football illustrates how bad rampant capitalism is. This is why so many fans loved the fact that Ranieri guided Leicester to champions last season. Seeing the s same old teams winning everything is boring although if you are a Man Utd fan in Hong Kong your perspective will be totally different and largely ignorant of the tors at play regarding the genuine fans who turn up at the turnstiles week in, week out. Like so many things these days, football is increasingly about product and the rich business men have stolen the game for their own vanity. FIFA did the right thing in getting Blatter hooked out of the game - we could do with someone more like Rosa Luxembourg in control!!

ImpSaint likes this.
  5. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

Be easy on the OP. Wouldn't you be pissed off with life if you were a Pompey fan. The fans he detests most are having the time of their lives while he has to hang about with the other dregs of the football league.

6. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Be careful, Godders!! Not so long ago, Saints were also part of that "pond life." And I think many a Saints fan enjoyed the visits to places of relative obscurity like Walsall.

7. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

The League Cup won't fizzle out whilst it carries a Europa ticket. Another good thing about it is that for the top clubs (that includes us:emoticon-0111-blush) there are only a few rounds.

8. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Not the 1-0 defeat I didn't :emoticon-0112-wonde

9. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

I picked the wrong game. But there were other more delightful places, of that I am certain. Like beating Brighton at the Withdean.

10. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

We have never played our football in the old fourth division or what they call league two today.