1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Fabio Borini admits his form has dipped

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Makemstine Roger, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

Fabio Borini admits his form has dipped after being asked to be Sunderland's utility man
    • The forward wants a regular role after being used in several different positions
    • He says his form has suffered after being used to fill gaps during injury crisis
    • Borini has scored just once for the Premier League’s bottom club this season
    By Craig Hope

Fabio Borini has revealed his frustration with Sunderland boss David Moyes and says his poor form is down to constantly changing position.

The £10million forward has scored just once for the Premier League’s bottom club this season having spent the majority of the campaign in wide positions.

And Borini blames that return on the manager’s decision to shift him around the park this season.

please log in to view this image

Sunderland forward Fabio Borini says his poor form is down to constantly changing position

‘I need the goals, but more than anything I need to play every week and to know what my role is because it has changed so many times,’ said the Italian.

‘I have been told to play on the left, the right, in the middle, behind the striker, and even left-back when it is needed. If it's needed in a game, that's not a problem.

‘But to be consistent and to play in a certain way every week, that would obviously be my preference.’

Borini, though, says that the lack of squad depth at the Stadium of Light has left Moyes in a difficult position.

please log in to view this image

The Italian has played on the left, the right, in the middle, behind the striker, and even left-back

‘The fact that the squad is thin is a problem for the manager, so as far as I am concerned I need to adapt to what the team needs,’ he added.

‘When we had so many injuries, if he needed me to play left midfield then I played left midfield.

‘Even if it is not my preference, if I don't like it because I want to score goals, then I have to change my game because helping the team was more important.

‘But when you play left midfield, it does not require your goals, it requires your defensive side.’

2. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

To be honest I don't read his comments as particularly complaining about the manager, he even says he'll play wherever he's told. All it read like to me is him understandably saying that if you are used as a utility player it's harder to play at a consistent level as his role changes - which seems like a pretty fair comment. A front three of him, Defoe and Anichebe regularly playing would probably have you a handful of points better off but fate has ruled otherwise.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  3. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

No I don't think he's complaining about much really just trying to explain why he's not in good form.

Thing is though, he's not all that great when he does play in his favourite position or he'd play there more often. I'd put his poor performances on his shoulders tbh.

4. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

i read he wants Moysey to play him as a striker

5. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

The article seems to be misleading in that it's almost trying to make it sound like he's complaining about Moyes.

He's not, he's simply stating that if he'd played one position all season he'd have been more comfortable, which probably goes without saying.

He does sound like he wants to play as a striker though, which he doesn't have the composure for at all.

Always said it that Borini just doesn't do the simple things simply.

6. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Completely agree although we've never seen him deployed there for any length of time... Nor will we when Defoe is fit as he's not a patch on Defoe finishing. (Pretty good from the spot though)

7. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Funny you say that as he's one of the best penalty takers I've seen. Cool as ice, yet put him one-on-one with the keeper and I just wouldn't back him at all!

He has a screamer in him, but just can't play a 10 yard pass of control a ball without making it look so difficult.

8. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

The problem imo is that you're forced to build your team around Jermain Defoe, as he's the main man, but Borini and him just don't seem compatible in a forward three.

If Defoe wasn't there, I reckon the lad would be doing slightly better on a personal level, but the team would be worse off.

9. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

All he has to do is swap places with Defoe during a match, let's see him bully his way past defenders like most strikers do. I still say there was nowt wrong with Fletcher at least he got on the end of crosses more. Did you know we have not scored one headed goal this season ! amazing fact I found out recently.

10. BIG BAZ

BIG BAZ Well-Known Member

The lad has been poor this season but I rather have him in the team than januzai. I go back to the front 3 from last season. Borini , khazri and defoe.

11. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

Exactly he just is not clinical but his energy and enthusiasm is not making up for this imo.
    We need to take a chance with the academy forwards - Asora or Maja - their prescence and skills may provide confidence to the team as the fans will be behind them - nothing lost if it fails but ....
    Januzai will be given more chances unfortunately.
    I just can't make my mind up about Moyes

12. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Defoe often moves into wide positions, nothing to stop Fabio popping up in the box now and again, if PvA could do it so too should he. Its not as though he has started games in the back four. For me Fabio, Rodders, Watty, Hoff and Catts for one reason or another have either lost form or contributed nothing so far and with such a poor squad we can not cover any serious loss of form, or absence, for long periods. Moyes has not exactly covered himself in glory, but he has few real options to improve matters, with this squad. <whistle>

13. red&white wanderer

Agree but he does have some highly rated untried youngsters - nothing to lose by giving them an opportunity imo.
    Unfortunately the manager has issues -his head does'nt appear to be in the here and now and keeps dipping back to the North West - <doh>

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  14. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

But is a relegation battle the scenario to blood too many youngsters? We tried that in 1958 and we all know that outcome. A couple of boring seasons giving us stability would do me.

15. red&white wanderer

Before my time but in 2017 it is worth trying -if it fails we may go down if we don't try we may go down. I just feel if we don't try we are not giving these highly rated youngsters a chance

16. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

We've not done badly so far with Watmore, Gooch and Honeyman coming on over time but in our plight I would stick with old war horses who have done this course before.

17. red&white wanderer

Agree but we have not done any better with old war horses either - what we fans have to put up with. I think we miss Watmore as when he did play the game opened up more. Think any eager highly rated younger forwards I mentioned may be a catalyst for the team - after all Sunderland are an enigma.
    The midfield younsters are not goalscorers which is what we need - we need to threaten the opposition goal and make their keeper work .
    BUT we need 3 pts whoever plays on Sunday imo cos we'll get little from the "winnable games" :emoticon-0121-angry and <doh>

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017