1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread FA Cup 3rd Round Replay - Southampton v Norwich City

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Jan 6, 2017.

1. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

3rd Round Replay

Southampton 1 - 0 Norwich City
    FT
    HT 0 - 0
    Attendance: 13,517

Date: 18th January 2017
    Venue:St Mary's Stadium
    Kick-Off: 07:45PM

KIO's not606 Match Preview

Norwich City's Steven Naismith's added time goal in the first fixture earned the Canaries a replay against the Saints. It was the Saints who took the lead through van Dijk in the 38th minute, but City pulled level after Steven Whittaker found the back of the net with a second half penalty after Cameron Jerome was brought down by Southampton 'keeper Harry Lewis. Yoshida put Southampton back in front again only to see victory slip from their grasp when Naismith struck with seconds left on the clock.

Both sides are expected to make further changes for tonight's game with most of City's being enforced through injuries and suspensions.
    On paper Saints should be in for a comfortable win this evening, but as we all know football isn't played on paper and as City's local rivals Ipswich Town found out to their cost yesterday, this is the FA Cup and anything can happen.

OTBC

3rd Round Tie

Norwich City 2 - 2 Southampton
    FT
    HT 0 - 1​
    Attendance: 12,479

Date: Saturday 7th January
    Venue: Carrow Road
    Kick-Off: 03:00PM

Referee: Christopher Kavanagh
    Assistant Referees: Nick Greenhalgh & Matt Foley
    Fourth Official: Dean Whitestone

KIO’s not606 Match Preview

Tomorrow sees Norwich City welcome Southampton to Carrow Road in the 3rd Round of this season’s Emirates FA Cup.
    For the Canaries Michael McGovern will almost certainly make his first start since November as custodian and other squad players that may also feature include Steven Whittaker, Josh Murphy, Matt Jarvis and Kyle Lafferty. City will definitely be without the services of Robbie Brady who is still banned after his red card against Brentford in the League and also Graham Dorrans who is likely to be out for two months.
    Saints head coach Claude Puel is also expected to make changes and bring in some youngsters for this one. With Captain Jose Fonte handing in a transfer request earlier this week it is unlikely that he will make the starting eleven, while centre back Virgil van Dijk although now available again after a ban, also seems unlikely to play.
    Nathan Redmond returns to Carrow Road for the first time since his move to St Mary’s in the summer and will no doubt be keen to start for Saints.

Nathan Redmond

This will be the fourth time that the two sides have met in this competition and the second time at Carrow Road. In March 1992 the Canaries beat Saints 2-1 in an ill tempered 6th Round replay before eventually losing out to Sunderland in the Sem-Final at Hillsborough.

City progress to the semi-final in 1992

The last meeting between the two in the FA Cup was in the 5th Round in February 2003 the Saints winning by 2 goals to 1.
    In the last two decades have Norwich have had a miserable record in the FA Cup, progressing from the 3rd Round on just four occasions in the last eighteen years. However City should be buoyed by the fact that Southampton have failed to score on their last three visits to Carrow Road.

Alex Neil’s Match Preview

Alex Neil is clear that the League is his priority

"I want to be clear about it the league is our priority, we really need to make sure we get ourselves up the league.”

"I've said this in all the cups, our main priority has been the league and improving that but we want to win the game and that will be reflected in the team.”

"You'll look at the team and you'll know that we want to win. I think I made 11 changes at Everton (in the EFL Cup), it won't be anything like that. If anything, it'll be a couple here or there.”

"They've (Southampton) got a semi-final first leg on Wednesday as well, which in my eyes would take priority.”

"It's an opportunity for them to get to a final, so I certainly think they'll be freshening the team up."

Reflecting on the Derby result last time out:

"The one thing I will say is that Derby had been in unbelievable form, they had beaten us at their place but it could have been six or seven nothing with the amount chances we created.”

"It had a different feel to it, that's the best that I can say. Is that going to continue into the next ones? I really hope so and there's no reason why it shouldn't."

Claude Puel’s Match Preview

Claude Puel gives his thoughts
    "I think this game against Norwich, in the FA Cup, is important for the club and for the young players also. It is a chance for some players to continue their work I think and to improve.”

"We have to make a balance between the experienced players and the young players, in order to give a good answer and to try to play a good game, with fresh players and possibilities to win in the cup, the League Cup and, after, the Premier League.”
    "This work continues with a strong character, but it is very interesting. It is important to prepare with good excitement and positivity."
    "I want to win this game, like the squad. I think it’s important to respect our philosophy and to continue this work for the club, for all the squad, and to keep opportunities to win this game.”
    "Playing, for example. the next three games with the same team is not the solution. The solution is to come back with all the squad, with spirit and especially a good recovery, because for them there is a lot of tiredness at this moment.”
    "It is a game away and, of course, a difficult game, but it is an interesting game to play."

Current Form (Most Recent First)

Norwich City

WDLLW

Southampton

LLLWD

NORWICH HOME

Norwich have won 50%, drawn 15% and lost 35% of their last 20 home games.

Norwich have kept a clean sheet in 6 of their last 20 home games, going on to win 4 and draw 2 of these matches.

Norwich have failed to score in 6 of their last 20 home games, going on to draw 2 and lose 4 of these matches.

SOUTHAMPTON AWAY

Southampton have won 35%, drawn 25% and lost 40% of their last 20 away games.

Southampton have kept a clean sheet in 6 of their last 20 away games, going on to win 3 and draw 3 of these matches.

Southampton have failed to score in 9 of their last 20 away games, going on to draw 3 and lose 6 of these matches.

TEAM STATISTICS www.kickoff.co.uk

Match History

In all there have been 125 competitive games between the two clubs with Saints having the slight upper hand with 48 wins to City’s 40, there have been 37 drawn games.
    The first meeting was a 1-1 stalemate in the Southern League at City’s old Newmarket Road Ground on 9th September 1905.
    Norwich’s highest winning margin against Southampton is by 5 goals to nil which was on 29th April 1961 in League Division Two at Carrow Road.
    Southampton’s best win against the Canaries was on 14th December 1957 in League Division Three (South) at the Dell the game finishing 7-3 to the Saints, this is also the highest aggregate score between the two.
    There have been many high scoring encounters between these two sides with Norwich scoring 4 goals or more on ten occasions, although this hasn’t always resulted in a victory for the Canaries.
    On 8th February 1936 at Carrow Road in League Division Two City were 5-1 winners, on 21st April 1956 at the Dell in League Division Three (South) City were 5-2 winners. However on 9th September 1989 in League Division One at Carrow Road the clubs shared the spoils in an 8 goal thriller and 5 years later on 9th April 1994 in the Premier League at the same venue Saints beat City by 5 goals to 4.

Highest Norwich City Score

Norwich City 5 Southampton 0

Highest Southampton Score

Southampton 7 Norwich City 3

Highest Aggregate (10)

Southampton 7 Norwich City 3

Club Connections

Former Saints Now With Norwich

Jake Hallett

Former Canaries Now With Southampton

Ryan Bertrand (Norwich loan), Fraser Forster (Norwich loan), Nathan Redmond

Craig Fleming and Leon McKenzie celebrate victory over Ipswich Town at Portman Road in 2003

Ex City Captain and fans favourite Craig Fleming is currently Saints’ Academy coach.

They Played For Both Clubs

These include:

Kevin Bond, Phil Boyer, Mick Channon, Simon Charlton, Peter Crouch (Norwich loan), Ron Davies, Justin Fashanu (Southampton loan), Jos Hooiveld (Norwich loan), Darren Kenton, Ted MacDougall, Jon Otsemobor, Alex Pearce (Norwich and Southampton loan), Youssef Safri, Andrew Surman, Andy Townsend and Chris Woods (Southampton loan).

Mick Channon celebrates City's Milk Cup win at Wembley in 1985 with Ken Brown

Did You Know?

Ron Davies in action for Southampton in 1972 against Wolverhampton Wanderers

Davies scores one of his 58 goals for the Canaries
    Legendary Welsh Centre Forward Ron Davies averaged more than a goal every other game for both City and Saints.
    He scored 58 goals in 113 appearances for the Canaries and 134 goals in 240 appearances for Southampton.
    Southampton paid Norwich a then club record fee of £55,000 for Davies’ services in 1966, but there was uproar amongst the Canary faithful at the time because the fee was still considered to be a paltry sum considering his goal scoring exploits in a City shirt.

Listen to full match commentary
    With Chris Goreham

and guest Match Summariser Greg Downs

on BBC Radio Norfolk 95.1 / 104.4FM / 855kHZ

… and don’t forget to tune in post match for
    #canarycall with Greg and Rob Butler

OTBC

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  2. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Well done KIO, a very good thread! <cheers>

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  3. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Thanks KIO - excellent as usual.
    I wonder if we might also see JM come on at some point, or if he'll be kept for a starting berth against Villa under 23s on Thursday???

4. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

It would be nice to see Josh Murphy up against Redmond today .

5. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Feck me busy on here today #not

3 hours work = 3 replies = post threads on Facebook from now on me thinks :emoticon-0112-wonde

6. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

I did do a like!

Terrific thread, took me ages to read it all! :grin:<ok>

KIO likes this.
  7. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Urgh really can't be arsed with this game!

Great thread KIO, you put too much work in for a pointless FA Cup exit! :emoticon-0110-tongu

8. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Team announced in 10 minutes buddy - watch those floodgates open when Turner, Whittaker and Bassong are all starting <yikes> ;)
    Good to see the "romance of the cup" is alive and well - with one Manchester club through, the other one looking set to join them and Arsenal odds-on faves to make it a premier league hat-trick later this evening. <sigh>

9. K E M P

K E M P Well-Known Member

Sorry KIO, I'm at the coach and horses so couldn't reply.

Did a birthday party for one of my lads today @ goals too so I've been a little busy.

Great thread though mate. I'm going today. Missus bought me a ticket for Xmas. £25!

KIO likes this.
  10. K E M P

Whittaker against Redmond =

11. Forgot_My_Lines

Bargain!!!

12. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Just like the £73 replica shirts :biggrin:

13. Forgot_My_Lines

With the football we play, you just can't put a price on that mate!

14. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

15. Forgot_My_Lines

Shows how Seriously he's taking today's game. No Nelson in his hot scoring form!

Good luck everyone who payed the stupid money for this reserve game!

ncgandy and KIO like this.
  16. K E M P

Shut up! Ha!

It's my Xmas "present" from my wife.

Forgot_My_Lines likes this.
  17. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

18. Forgot_My_Lines

Oh you poor love! She hates you!!

:emoticon-0110-tongu:emoticon-0136-giggl

19. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

And yet last year was £10...for Manchester City!?
    Greedy bastards, I hope it comes back to haunt them <grr>
    Should be trying to entice the next generation, not driving current loyal fans away! <doh>

20. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Another faux pas by Poxey Moxey <doh>

: canarycall