1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

F1 2017 SEASON: NEWS - RUMOURS

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by EternalMSC, May 9, 2016.

1. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sounds tasty.

ched999uk likes this.
  2. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

If Honda start working on theirs now they might have cracked it by then.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  3. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Will they be louder as a result of bi-turbo?

(Excuse my ignorance!)

4. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same. I thought that a turbo in the exhaust system broke up the sound waves making exhausts much quieter.
    That said I think road car manufacturers are all going down the smaller turbo engined vehicles to cut emissions. So to keep F1 even remotely road relevant manufacturers want small (1.6) turbo engines.
    As for bigger KERS great. More fuel or at least a higher max flow is also good.
    The thing about noise is it really is only relevant actually at the circuit. So while the circuits might want more noise, the noise causes issues (for example Brands Hatch can't have F1 as their noise limits are too low, amongst other things).
    The TV coverage can boost engine noise if they choose. But Bernie choose not too as he didn't like the v6 so no noise helped him!!
    Personally I like the MGU-H as to me it's a great way to eliminate turbo lag and have biggish turbos plus the turbos generate extra electricity to recharge the system or give a little more power. What is not to love, well other than cost.
    I would love to know more technical info about the energy systems. This is an area where F1 is pushing the boundaries but can't/won't release details as they want to protect their developments.

I would love to see a reduction in reliance on aero and increase in the potential for engineering innovation. I want to see multiple solutions to the regs and be able to see the solutions. But that's no going to happen, then again when C4 looses the rights to show any F1 I will not be paying stupid sums to Sky just for 20 odd F1 races a year.

5. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I imagine they're taking out the MGU-H as that is responsible for a lot of noise loss. In simplistic terms noise is just 'wasted' energy. Without electrical assistance the turbo will be less efficient and so hopefully noisier.

6. ched999uk

You might well be correct. Long time ago I had a mk1 Golf GTi and fitted a Turbo Technics VW 1.8 16V turbo engine in. I only had a single straight through silencer and it was very quiet. In fact I would say it was as quiet as a standard car with 2 silencers.
    I think the turbo it's self breaks down the sound waves from the exhaust so even without the MGU-H I think the noise wont be as high as the circuits want.

7. Smithers

Forum Moderator

8. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns36234.html
    As I was saying.. apparently talks have already taken place. Alonso to Renault 2018.
    10 years ago, the same move was made from Mclaren to Renault. History does repeat... maybe.

9. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Going back to your ex once is bad enough, as second time round is never as good as the glory of the first, but to go back a third time, well, that's just plain wrong!

Joking aside, him and Hulk would be a decent combo for Renault if they are serious about getting back to the front.

10. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

I'm honestly beginning to think it's already been signed off.

11. ched999uk

One the one hand I can see Alonso going back to Renault on the other why would McL let him do indy500 if he has signed for Renault? It doesn't really do them any favours.
    I think that Honda will come up with a few upgrades by Spain and then by British GP or maybe after summer break their last PU hope will be delivered. If that PU is any good, even if that is decent power at the expense of reliability, they may be able to convince Alonso to stay. Then again depends on what Renault are willing to throw at him to sign.
    Plus we no longer have Rons ego to get in the way.
    All very interesting.

12. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

I read that Arbitoul (or w/e) thinks renault are pretty much there when it comes to the electrical recovery systems and their real problem is the combustion engine and with the new MGU-K and the next upgrade to the engine, they should see .7-.8 per lap improvement. I hope he's right because that would put Max & Danny in the mix by mid-season.

13. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/19386871/jenson-button-turned-two-offers-race-f1-2017

Button still technically on sabbatical as he refuses to rule out a comeback.

More interestingly he says that he still had two offers to race even as late as the new year.
    After the new year there were only three seat open. Sauber, Williams and... Mercedes.

14. Smithers

Forum Moderator

I would imagine it was either or both Merc and Williams. Button would probably have Been more cost effective for Merc given Bottas buy out, and Williams would probably have viewed Button as a step above Massa.

15. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Frontrowsports.com every session of F1 live, NBC usually, though you may be unlucky enough to end up with Sky and having to listen to Croft(y) talk crap. It wasn't until I listened to him in race that I finally understood all the complaints.

As to improving F1, I thin DRS is here to stay, but it really needs to have the sam(ish) rules as push-to-pass in Indycar. I'd like to see smaller less intricate front wings, no wider than to the inside of the front tyre, I think it'll help in a few way by negating a bit of the dirty air, making tyre/front wing contact less likely (and therefore the SC from the carbon fibre confetti when it does happen) and the cars will be more lively. Balance it with a bit more ground effect and I think we'll get more of what we want (wheel-to-wheel action). I'd also like to see the tyres rules opened up bit, I can't see why they have to start on the tyres they Q'd with, fail in Q2 and get 11th and you can choose which set of fresh tyres you can use,whereas 10th did a better job an his reward is the dirty side of the track and old tyres. If a team believe their best option is doing the whole race on a single set off the hardest tyres, or go medium hard rather than soft soft medium. I always used to love watching the hunting down of the slow guy who was miles ahead, 17secs, 14 secs, 11 secs 7 secs, 3 laps to go. (I know from the Sochi award thread I'm not alone in enjoying a bit of gap watch calculation.)
    So far this year I think we've had some fairly decent races from a variety of stand-points both on track action and strategic, but there's always room for improvement.

Smithers likes this.
  16. Smithers

Forum Moderator

I think DRs should be X amount of time around the lap, so you don't know when people are going to use it.

Agree 100% always been an advocate of ground effect aero and also on the free choice of tyres, hidden until the last minute in the grid!

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  17. JonnyBaws

JonnyBaws Well-Known Member

So... how long before Palmer gets the chop..
    He's been shown up quite badly against the Hulk and lets be honest the Hulk isn't considered top tier F1 talent either, he's VERY good but not Great!
    Unless he pulls a rabbit out of the bag, could we see a mid season change in the second Renault seat?

18. Smithers

Forum Moderator

The frightening thing is their allegedly paying him. They might as well put a Renault connected rookie in the seat for free, can't see how they could be any worse.

19. JonnyBaws

JonnyBaws Well-Known Member

Ouch..!
    What a Brucie bonus.. drive an F1 car (poorly) and get paid to do so while travelling the world.. nice gig if you can get it!

20. Smithers

Forum Moderator

I'm thinking of applying!