1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

F1 2015 Season: Lineup's - Rumours - News

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by EternalMSC, Jan 24, 2014.

1. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'd argue it's wasted as that money only goes into perpetuating the sport, very little of the R&D impacts on anything beyond the F1 cars. The main problem for me is the reliance on aero development. It costs millions and aims to solve problems related to a set of regulations nobody else in the world experiences. Fuel economy, energy regeneration, battery tech, and most mechanical engineering is much more easily translated to other areas.

If all teams could generate tech they can sell, budgets will increase without being totally reliant on sponsorship.

u408379965, El_Bando and Mr.B like this.
  2. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

The top four teams bring most of that themselves. The prize money needs sorting, no loyalty bonuses and all that ****, the champions get the most and the rest get a diminishing amount depending on where they finish in the championship. The manufacturers and big sponsors shouldn't be banned from spending their money though.

3. u408379965

My thoughts exactly. It infuriates me that engine development is so restricted, they should be doing everything to encourage development in this area. Breakthroughs in battery tech would benefit the world enormously.

4. random92

random92 Member

You do have to wonder how beneficial the current format is to all of the current F1 engine manufacturers. Renault pushed for this format to bring it closer to their road cars but they don't exactly make high performance engines so they're after the energy recovery tech, Honda are probably in the same boat although they don't appear to be learning anything constructive! Mercedes make high performance engines, so any engine tech is useful for them but they've not dipped their toes into the energy recovery systems for road cars side of things, and Ferrari also make performance engines and have started to stick KERS on their hypercars but have yet to filter it down to the (relatively) cheap models.

With engine regs the way they are, would an Audi, a BMW or Toyota be interested in getting involved when they know they'd probably have to scratch around at the back for a while?

5. WestCoastBoogaloo

WestCoastBoogaloo Well-Known Member

Well, if any of them were considering it I suspect Honda's performances have put them off!

6. random92

random92 Member

Certainly, although if they were smart they'd follow Merc's footsteps and work on it for a while before actually getting involved unlike Honda who supposedly only started in earnest last year.

7. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sebastian Vettel doesn't 'get the point' of F1 start rule changes

Sebastian Vettel has been left perplexed by Formula 1's decision to change the start procedure rules, believing the teams will soon overcome any potential chaos.

From this Sunday's Belgian Grand Prix a driver will now have to discover his own optimum clutch bite point the moment he leaves the pitlane ahead of the formation lap, rather than being given advice from his team as was previously the case.

Reigning champion Lewis Hamilton, although welcoming of the change, recently suggested the starts would likely be "unpredictable", maybe even "disastrous".

Vettel, who goes into the race at Spa 42 points adrift of Hamilton, is convinced all the drivers on the grid will quickly become accustomed to the change.

"I don't really get the point of what we're trying to achieve," said Vettel.

"I don't think it will change much; maybe it will be a bit chaotic on Sunday - and maybe the next Sunday.

"But look, there are a lot of smart people in Formula 1.

"Drivers are capable of doing a lot of things, so I think two or three races down the line nothing changes."

In stark contrast, Force India's Sergio Perez claims the new rules will represent "a massive change".

Perez added: "In a way, the starts have always been a gamble in F1.

"This can mix things up so it's definitely a step forward for Formula 1."

Williams driver Valtteri Bottas, meanwhile, feels like Vettel the drivers possess enough experience to overcome any possible pitfalls.

"I don't expect any big differences to be honest," said Bottas.

"What we have, the information about the clutch, has been fine-tuning. Now it's up to us to manage it.

"On the formation laps there will be more for us to do, like engine modes, but that is it.

"We have done it so many times, it's quite automatic. You remember what you need to do, so I don't see a problem."

8. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Mercedes has used all seven of its remaining engine development tokens ahead of the Formula 1 Italian Grand Prix with an eye on 2016.

The move represents a tactical change by Mercedes, with the development only available to the works team for now and not customers Williams, Force India and Lotus, as it effectively pulls forward 2016 development.

Although Mercedes has declined to reveal the specific areas targeted by the tokens, AUTOSPORT understands their deployment will help validate the use of a new fuel by supplier Petronas.

For Mercedes, there is no special engine for Monza this weekend, instead the team is exploring a new development direction with consideration towards the future rather than looking for a huge performance leap.

Mercedes also has a new oil under evaluation which, if it proves effective, may potentially follow at some point soon.

The manufacturer believes what it learns and understands now will ensure its 2016 power unit will be more robust, for not only the works team but also its customers.

Asked about the upgrade, Hamilton said: "It's mostly [about] reliability, it's fuel, an improvement in the efficiency.

"We're not here to make a huge step. It's about improving reliability so we can push the engine more.

"The guys have naturally worked hard to have that engine here, so I feel positive about the change."

9. u408379965

I hope they both blow up.