1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Eye-Catchers

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Ron, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I thought it might be an idea to collate all the eye-catchers in a single ongoing thread. I will add in the Timeform Eye-Catchers when they appear but I'm more interested in what our race readers have to say.

I haven't been race reading for a while but, as I have harped on a bit re one horse in particular I will start off the thread with one of my own. Looking forward to reading what the more shrewd forumites will be putting up.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Cyclonic likes this.
  2. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Neon Wolf. This was a horse that impressed me immensely when I saw him win a novice Hurdle at Haydock in January. He didn't beat much but he couldn't have won more easily and it was a very good time. Noel Fehily rode a peach of a race on him and I'm sure Neon Wolf is a good stone better than he showed that day. I could end up with egg on my face here but I thought he might get supplemented for the CH as it was so open. Thankfully he hasn't been pushed that hard and he looks to have some strong opposition in whichever his chosen race at the Festival. It will take a good one to beat him and, if anything, does, I reckon that horse will be a CH contender for 2018.

3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

My Timeform: Eye-catchers from Wetherby, Carlisle and Gowran Park
    By Nic Doggett — published 22nd February 2017
    Nic Doggett highlights three horses from Wetherby, Carlisle and Gowran Park that could be worth following in the coming weeks...

please log in to view this image

Top and Drop – Wetherby, 21st February

Top and Drop may be yet to win in seven starts under Rules but she has the build and pedigree to thrive over fences, and Venetia Williams’ mare was well fancied on her chasing debut at Wetherby on Tuesday. After 10 weeks off, she was all set to show herself a better chaser at the first time of asking when blundering and unseating three out, upsides and going best at the time. She did enough to show herself ahead of her opening chase mark (105) and should improve her jumping as she gains experience. Proven under a variety of ground conditions, she’s very much one to have on side next time. Venetia Williams

Take The Cash – Carlisle, 20th February

Take The Cash, a soft-ground winner over hurdles at Sedgefield back in March 2014, was given a chance by the handicapper when returning to action over fences at Carlisle at the weekend, and he shaped well after 16 months off, eventually finishing third to the very well-handicapped (and backed) Kap Jazz. Take The Cash raced wide without cover and didn’t settle fully as a result, and after going prominent at the eighth was outpaced after four out, before keeping on. Take The Cash clearly hasn't been the easiest to train but he's one to be interested in providing he can be kept sound. Donald McCain

Mall Dini – Gowran Park, 18th February

It’s a slight surprise that Mall Dini hasn’t made a recent appearance in this feature, having caught the eye on all three starts in 2017. The latest was when stepped back up in trip at Gowran Park, where he attracted significant market support but ran to just a similar level as on his previous efforts over fences, again leaving the impression he should have finished closer, a late error knocking the stuffing out of him this time. He’d jumped well up to that point and it shouldn't be overlooked that he has essentially taken well to chasing. The 2016 Pertemps Final winner may yet do better in this sphere, particularly back at longer trips (stays three miles well), and he’s prominent in the betting for both the Kim Muir and Ultima handicaps at this year’s Festival (entries out on 23rd February). Patrick Kelly

OddDog likes this.
  4. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

The Worlds End really caught my eye at Haydock last Saturday, staying on very strongly to defeat No Hassle Hoff 9 lengths, and I like the look of him for the Albert Bartlett. He is now officially rated 146 and if you take out the ridiculous rating given to West Approach he is close to being top rated in the race. His profile reminds me a little of the ill-fated and brilliant Brindisi Breeze, who took the same Haydock race on the way to success at the festival. Brindisi Breeze beat an Irish hotpot that day, Boston Bob, and I can see history repeating itself with Death Duty likely to go off a warm order this time around. The Worlds End goes on any ground and could become a real superstar for Tom George.

5. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Thomas Crapper. His last 3 races have been on unsuitable ground. Was travelling well in all of them until the soft ground found him out. He's gone down a few pounds as a result and I fully expect him to be very competitive at 20/21 furlongs on good Spring ground.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    OddDog likes this.
  6. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well obviously not because he ran in the wrong race for that to make any sense

7. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

3 from Timeform

Nick Seddon picks out three horses that caught the eye during the final three days of the Cheltenham Festival.

please log in to view this image

Fayonagh – Cheltenham, Wednesday 15th March

As you would expect, there were plenty of eye-catching performances at Cheltenham last week, but perhaps the most taking winner of the entire festival was Fayonagh in the Champion Bumper, who hit a high of 95 in-running when rounding the turn in last place. The mare took a while to hit top gear, and was still only 13th approaching the final two furlongs before storming home to lead in the final 50 yards in what was a truly remarkable performance. Fayonagh, who is a half-sister to the very smart hurdler Solerina, had caught the eye on her previous start at Fairyhouse in February, when winning by some 20 lengths on heavy ground in a mares’ listed contest. The transition to quicker going was a worry prior to the Champion Bumper, but she took that in her stride and looks to have a bright future, especially when sent over obstacles. Gordon Elliott

Verdana Blue – Cheltenham, Thursday 16th March

Verdana Blue looked a useful mare in the making when recording her most recent win in a minor event at Taunton in February, taking her record to 2-2 in completed starts. For all that, the Mares’ Novices’ Hurdle still looked a sharp step up in class, however, she excelled herself on the day, leading between the final two flights and holding second place right up until the final 100 yards, before just being run out of the frame. There’s seemingly still more to come from Verdana Blue, particularly considering that this was just her fourth start over hurdles, and she looks nailed on to win plenty more races going forward, especially given the current race programme for mares. Nicky Henderson

The Worlds End – Cheltenham, Friday 17th March

The Worlds End has made a very favourable impression so far this season and looked well worth his place in last week’s Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle, having gone unbeaten in three starts since his hurdling debut, including a smart win at Haydock in February. He looked set to play a big part in the finish at Cheltenham before departing two out when holding every chance. It’s hard to say for sure where exactly The Worlds End would have finished, but he had travelled strongly into the race and looks one to keep onside moving forward. If none the worse, he will surely be a big player in the Sefton Novices' Hurdle at Aintree next month, and will surely make a smashing novice chaser if that is the plan next season. Tom George

8. Doalittle

Doalittle Well-Known Member

Well those three are from left field.
    <laugh><laugh><laugh><doh><doh><doh>

9. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Meaning?

10. DreverSpur

DreverSpur Well-Known Member

Precisely why I've added him to my antepost bets for 2018.

11. As We Know

As We Know 1 of the top judges in Europe

Keeper Hill worth watching in the Neptune, it was clearly the best novice hurdle of this years festival, ran off his feet and did not jump well, looked booked for being absolutely tailed off, even turning in he was nowhere but kept on nicely hands and heels to finish 7th, Greatrex horses didnt appear to be in great form either, it was a last minute decision to run him in the Neptune as the original plan was to give Cheltenham a miss and in hindsight he clearly wasnt ready for it. Think he could give a much better account if they ran in the 3 miler at Aintree but id imagine he will better over fences next season.

Burbank ran a nice race as well but he was a more obvious eyecatcher and he had a nice trip to run well, never really got involved in the race, got outpaced and then finished well past beaten horses, he looked a lot more professional than Keeper Hill.

beeforsalmon, Ron and DreverSpur like this.
  12. As We Know

As We Know 1 of the top judges in Europe

Shattered Love who also ran in the Neptune is a half sister to Keeper Hills dam, never seen a horse beating his auntie before.

Make A Track and Irish Cavalier two decent uncles as well.

DreverSpur likes this.