1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Extension of WPL. to 12 games - vote

Discussion in 'Watford' started by colognehornet, Oct 30, 2016.

1. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

It has come to my attention that next weekend there are 2 local sides playing in the first round of the FA. Cup, both at home to league opposition. We also have a 'Canary' guest on the board, and there are also many on here who are interested in Udinese as well (or are people more interested in eg. the Championship then the Serie A ?). I am not using a spreadsheet for the calculations on the WPL. and so, the actual number of fixtures is irrelevant to me. Can I increase the number to 12 in mid season, or will anyone feel disadvantaged by this ? The extra fixtures for the coming weekend would be 2 cup ties (though I do not want to combine cup and league in one predictions league on a regular basis) - after that they would be taken from the most interesting matches taking place elsewhere ie. Serie A. The championship etc. I will see what response comes back here - and then decide later today.

2. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I'm happy to go along with the majority on this! The way I look at it is I'm just as likely to get 12 results wrong as I am with only ten :)

If you're happy with th extra work then I say go for it. The only problem I can see could be the limitation of similar scores! <cheers>

3. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

No idea about either side and personally no link to either so could do little more than guess. Mind you, I'd probably do as well making random guesses for the PL games! I might go for it if we could have Eastleigh or Basingstoke Town now and again! Otherwise I like the format we have...

4. colognehornet

Ok. Theo, I will leave things as they are. I am avoiding Monday night fixtures because I don't want to be calculating scores etc. in midweek. This means that I sometimes have to choose non Premier League fixtures to make up the '10', and I have no way of knowing which other fixtures actually interest people - Udinese ? Norwich ? , making it up to 12 would have avoided me having to make that choice. Personally I am not interested in Udinese (in fact I have another 'favourite' Italian team) - others, I know, are. By the way, you're doing well this week !

5. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

I do take a keen interest in Udinese but I don't think changing the rules this far into the game is a good thing. I'm always happy when their games are included though.

6. colognehornet

I think you're right Fez, changing midstream could be problematic, so I'll just carry on as normal.

7. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

Thanks Cologne...makes a change!
    I'm sure not everyone will agree with me though. I can see making it up to 10 some weeks can be tricky. Why not just take alphabetically the first Championship games taking place on the Saturday?

8. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

Hello, Cologne. I suggest a compromise. Let me predict 12 scores, everyone else predict 10. I'll try it out for a few months and then let you know. Happy to help.

canary-dave and colognehornet like this.
  9. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I am quite happy with it as things stand, but would like to see a separate FA Cup league. It could be fun doing it from the 1st round when there are likely to be some odd results with non-league teams.

Scullion and brian_66_usa like this.
  10. Chris 13

Chris 13 Well-Known Member

If you let me predict all 92 games one week while all others are only allowed the 10 then I will still be in a relegation battle at the bottom! :)

andytoprankin likes this.

11. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

I am now totally confused.. <confused>

;)

12. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

I'm quite happy with the 10 - I just wish that occasionally you would use Mainz's fixture as they are the only one of Watford's twin towns that has a top flight football team. Would Mainz v Cologne on January 21st be a possibility?

13. colognehornet

January 21st is getting close to the Cologne carnival time, and Cologne and Mainz are the 2 most important carnival towns on the Rhine so it's a little bit like a carnival derby. I'll think about that one - but how many people really identify with 'partner' towns, as opposed to footballing ties such as us and Udinese. The link with Mainz is to do with the history of printing, a very nice town to visit - and the way there: along the Rhine through Koblenz is great as well.

I will be keeping the structure of 10 matches per round. Once the FA. Cup predictions league starts with the 3rd round I will be doing both concurrently from the 5th round onwards, and so, I will then be looking for quite a lot of extra fixtures to make up the 10.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  14. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

I've never understood why we've never had a friendly against Mainz. Perhaps we're waiting for the Europa League <whistle>

andytoprankin likes this.
  15. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

I think this a better idea.