1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Explosion in Manchester

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Libby, May 22, 2017.

1. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

And he's right.

Fundamental extremists use the West's military attacks as a recruiting tool and it helps in the radicalisation of young Muslims on these shores

We can't have a meaningful debate about how as a complete community we're going to try and reduce the radicalisation in the UK moving forwards, without accepting that our foreign policy does play a part.

Libby, Archers Road and PINKIE like this.
  2. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

No, indeed it doesn't. It is a remarkable collection of texts on any level. It's up to the reader to decide to what, if any, extent the writers may have been divinely inspired. Also to what extent the words of Jesus as recorded in the gospels were given to him by god. Maybe they were just the opinions of a carpenter's son from Galilee, but they certainly had an impact.

DMD likes this.
  3. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

He may be right, to a degree, but he's certainly not 'right full stop' and it's ill-timed and insensitive nonetheless.

It would be much easier to deduce if terrorism was limited to the UK and US, but it's not, is it? It's happened everywhere more or less. Does every country have a ****ed up foreign policy?

4. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

It's not the sole reason, but it's certainly a factor, and I don't think raising it is insensitive either.

Not every country has suffered IS attacks though has it, France, Germany, the UK and Belgium in Europe.

5. Tel (they/them)

You can add a lot more countries to that though, if you don't limit the attacks to IS or Europe.

Canada, Australia, Sweden (just last month), The US... countless in the middle-east and Africa.

One of the France attacks was a result of a picture of Mohammed was it not? What's that got to do with Foreign Policy? It shows that we're not dealing with people who will necessarily respond well to any changes in policies, law or reason, they will kill for honour or what they determine honour to be.

I believe it was insensitive, I think he's taken advantage of a raw topic for his own political agenda and it certainly didn't need said today.

What does our foreign policy need to look like before they stop blowing up kids?

6. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

True, it hasn't gotten quite as heated as I thought it might. But religion is something that's highly personal - especially to those who's beliefs are strong.

If anybody starts querying and appears to mock or disrespect that belief, things can get very heated!

Tobes and The Ginger Marks like this.
  7. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

I don't see what he's gained in terms of his own political agenda by raising the fact that our foreign policy has helped fundamental extremists recruit on these shores.

Politically he'd have better served saying nothing, but I think he's right to bring it into the public debate.

Ask the Muslim lads who've been posting on this thread @Spurlock @Highburyal @thefanwithnoname whether they think that extremist recruitment and radicalisation within the Muslim community has been aided by the UK's foreign policy

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  8. Tel (they/them)

I was asking you mate, I don't need to ask them, with respect to them they should be no more qualified to ascertain the intentions of a terrorist than you or I are.

I think terrorism will still exist, regardless of our foreign policy unless you or somebody else can convince me otherwise.

9. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No, it's based on the assumption that ISIS use what's happened to recruit people.
    They've got quite a sophisticated online presence, by all accounts.

I don't like Corbyn much, but I can't see what he's done wrong on this.
    Theresa May cutting police numbers increased the chance of something like this happening.
    Why's she getting away with it and he's getting criticised for pointing out a genuine concern?

Archers Road and Tobes like this.
  10. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

No-one has said it wouldn't, merely that our foreign policy is a factor that makes us a bigger target and helps the extremists radicalise impressionable and disaffected Muslims over here.

11. Tel (they/them)

My condemnation of Corbyn isn't a signal of my support for Theresa May, although I will vote for Conservative, I'm far from what you would call a Tory Blue.

I'm not really interested in dragging this into a UK-politics debate on austerity which will inevitably end up with another 500 pages relating to the state of the NHS. My intentions with my post was merely to highlight the inference that what 'we' are doing overseas has angered ISIS, like they weren't already angry. If you think the timing is ok, bearing in mind how the media will spin his words (and he knows the media will do this) then we just have to disagree.

It's certainly a factor, among many other factors, which he didn't choose to mention.

12. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Ariana Grande has offered to pay all the funeral costs for the victims of the Manchester bombing.
    Decent of her......
    Most of the time she is portrayed as a Diva, so nice to see something nice written about her for a change.

A cynic would say its a PR stunt, and they are not entirely wrong, but she didn't have to do it, its not like it was her fault.

13. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Then you agree with him then, as what he said was;

"the causes certainly cannot be reduced to foreign policy decisions alone"

PleaseNotPoll and Archers Road like this.
  14. Tel (they/them)

So do we need to disassociate ourselves with The US as well in order to reduce the target on our back? Perhaps Israel too?

15. Tel (they/them)

Well why highlight it, and infer that provocation has led to the attacks, today, less than a week after kids were brutally murdered by a terrorist?

If you think that's a point that needed raising today, then that's fine, we disagree.

16. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

We'd be better served not aligning with their foreign policy yes, see Tony Blair for details.

As for Israel what they've been getting away with for years is a global disgrace, their US backing has given them a licence to continually tell the UN to **** off.

Oh and the House of Saud, let's not forget them like, the very sponsors of the kind of radical Islam that's directly behind these atrocities, but we're happy to pal up to them and sell them £BN's of arms so that they can flatten the Yemen.

17. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

He did nothing of the sort though, he said we needed a foreign policy that "reduces rather than increases the threat"

We do, he was right, and he's campaigning in a GE, so it's relevant to bring it up.

Archers Road likes this.
  18. Tel (they/them)

So what should our foreign policy look like in order to stop/reduce terrorists blowing up kids?

19. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

20. Highburyal

Highburyal Cun.t Chops

Tried that mate and then I got labelled as a terrorist sympathiser by a poster on this site!