1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Ex-champions vs champions

Discussion in 'Leicester City' started by BigFox, Oct 14, 2016.

1. leicester_ed

leicester_ed Well-Known Member

Don't forget he also tore Chelsea apart in the cup

2. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

Neither Vards or Wes are currently playing anywhere near last season level...

3. Foxy in Foyle

Foxy in Foyle Well-Known Member

Ranieri said after international duty it's as though we've got Okazaki's twin brother back instead, who presumably isn't great at football. I don't recall this being as issue last season, he played pretty much every game. Anyone else?
    We definitely need more movement and he certainly provides that.

4. LeicesterWizard

LeicesterWizard Well-Known Member

Have to agree, bar Hull, we have had 3 away games at teams that are likely to finish in the top 6 at least, if not top 4.

We haven't played well granted, but i would rather we had bad games against top sides rather than at places like Mboro or Burnley, where we would be more likely to take all 3 points.

Its been a slow start, but i certainly don't think we are in trouble, to be 13th after a poor start in only our 3rd season in the top flight would usually be cause to celebrate. There are certainly worse teams that we havn't played yet.

Just need to look at the teams touted "the next Leicester" like WHU and Stoke to see things really aren't that bad in comparison.

5. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

It isn't that we've been beaten, it is the manner of the defeats - we were torn apart in every game.

6. Foxy in Foyle

Foxy in Foyle Well-Known Member

This. I can accept defeat if we've given a good account of ourselves. Our heaviest defeat in recent years was the 5-2 to Arsenal, I had no complaints, we played very well, they were excellent. Even in 2014/15 we frequently played well but lost.
    At the moment, Champions League aside we're not doing that, our work rate off the ball was excellent but is now poor, there's a lack of energy and movement. Our never say die spirit and determination is also sadly lacking.

7. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

At least the players know it as well https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...icester-city-danny-drinkwater-claudio-ranieri

8. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Foooking dreadful.

9. BucksFox

BucksFox Well-Known Member

I do wonder if the willingness to play and fight like last year is still there amongst some of the players now that they have won their medal. The usual suspects and some of the newer players look hungry and are putting in the effort - Drinkwater, Amartey, Albrighton, Schmeichel, Gray, Chilwell - while others, particularly at the back, look to be well off the pace. Vardy's effort and movement has been poor.

Claudio pleaded for the players to give him one more season. This season is looking like one too far for our back four. I reckon most, if not all, of them will be gone next summer. We need to start playing Chilwell against the 'lesser' sides.

10. HarboroughFox

HarboroughFox Well-Known Member

Not sure Chilwell is the answer as Fuchs has been our best defender by a country mile this season. The centre back area is our major problem.

11. leicester_ed

leicester_ed Well-Known Member

I honestly think all problems will be solved by just playing Okazaki

12. southernfox

southernfox Member

We have Vardy, Mahrez and Morgan all playing well below par at the moment but that normal in any team for players to drop in and out of form.
    We all now that Musa could play instead of Vardy, Hernández for Morgan, and Gray for Mahrez but these players will not get any better sat on the bench.

13. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

... Mahrez has now been involved in 4 of our 5 CL goals .. he's not doing too badly <whistle>

... it isn't quite as simple as just swapping some personnel ... we have been very poor defensively in the league plus our use of the ball in possession has been woeful at times ... the forwards have been getting frankly appalling service ... Vardy showed some of his old self last night because the service was being delivered at the right time and in areas where he had a chance of at least competing for the ball .. against Chelsea both he hand Musa were being continually asked to win foot races against defenders with a 10 yard start ...

14. BucksFox

BucksFox Well-Known Member

Can't deny that Mahrez is effective in the Champions League, but he's not doing it in the Premier League, and I understand that he is not alone in that.

Like Southernfox says, we do have players sat on the bench while our league form is not as good as it needs to be. It would be a shame if Gray is being frozen out, because he does look a tremendous prospect and has something different to offer. He's young and obviously frustrated by the situation if he's started moaning on social media (why don't we just ban players - everyone? - from using that trash!). Musa looked good in the pre-season tournament but has been a bit-player in the league and hasn't had a chance to gel with anyone. I can't make my mind up about Hernandez. He doesn't look able to cut it in the Prem but might be more suitable against some of the European opposition in the Champions League.

15. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

... Mahrez is less effective in the prem partly because the opposition are now on to him and when he receives the ball in wide areas he is doubled, sometimes, trebled-up on .... for me his future will be more central in behind either a lone striker ard or a front two ... I wouldn't judge any of the new acquisitions too quicky ... not every player hits the ground running as Vardy's case shows ... also Albrighton for that matter ... Hernandez has had a couple of very good games ... Musa has shown glimpses but is often feeding off scraps ...

16. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Musa's best position is up front as show in his performance vs Barcelona in preseason - unfortunately he has been playing either on the right wing or AM atm.